Sponsored

Solo Performance GT exhaust systems review - updated with photos/videos

Which Solo Performance version do you have?

• Mach XV

Votes: 77 38.3%
  • Mach Thunder

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • Street Race

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Axleback

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • other (with header, H-pipe, etc..)

Votes: 16 8.0%

• Total voters

shockme66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th Annv. Magnetic
Got my Solo XV yesterday and installed it last night. The install is pretty easy, I was able to do it myself with just ramps. I'm only one day in, but the sound is so much better than the MBRP street I had prior. It's truly a deep and rich sound. As for volume I would say it's perfect for my needs; I didn't want a loud and obnoxious system and the XV fits the bill. I did take some DB levels with an iPhone app, just to give people a sense of the volume. Nothing really scientific here, but it should show a good comparison between stock and the Solo XV.

I think for people looking for a system that sounds deep, is not obnoxious, and their car is used as a DD; I would say the XV is a great system.

Stock - Temp outside ~50F
Ambient (prior to starting car) - 42-45 DB
Cold Start - 83-86 DB
Warm Idle - 70-74 DB

Solo XV - Temp outside ~50F
Cold Start - 94-100 DB
Warm Idle - 85-90 DB
Sponsored

Oko3612

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic PP 15 GT
Got my Solo XV yesterday and installed it last night. The install is pretty easy, I was able to do it myself with just ramps. I'm only one day in, but the sound is so much better than the MBRP street I had prior. It's truly a deep and rich sound. As for volume I would say it's perfect for my needs; I didn't want a loud and obnoxious system and the XV fits the bill. I did take some DB levels with an iPhone app, just to give people a sense of the volume. Nothing really scientific here, but it should show a good comparison between stock and the Solo XV.

I think for people looking for a system that sounds deep, is not obnoxious, and their car is used as a DD; I would say the XV is a great system.

Cold Start - 83-86 DB
Warm Idle - 70-74 DB

Cold Start - 94-100 DB
Warm Idle - 85-90 DB
Great info dude. It'b be interesting to see the DB levels after the system has settled in for you, say after havign put around 1,000 miles on it.:headbang:

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Totally agree! I only have about 150 miles since it was installed 3 weeks ago.

It gets, deeper and deeper each time I drive it.

Cold Start - 83-86 DB
Warm Idle - 70-74 DB

Cold Start - 94-100 DB
Warm Idle - 85-90 DB
So about +15dB increase on average. +12dB is subjectively interpreted as four times as loud. So this is louder than I might have expected.

Did you have your OEM resonator on?
Is the XV their quietest offering?
Is it a straight-through design? Any packing?

Oko3612

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic PP 15 GT
So about +15dB increase on average. +12dB is subjectively interpreted as four times as loud. So this is louder than I might have expected.

Did you have your OEM resonator on? The OEM resantor gets replaced by Solo performances front x design muffler
Is the XV their quietest offering? Yes it is
Is it a straight-through design? Any packing? I have attached a photo from their website which shows you what you get.
Overall id say that the system isn't that loud. I dd my car everyday and love the loudness and deep tone of the system.
1full.jpg

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the information, very convenient.

+6dB (double loudness) is hardly worth spending money on, especially since even the stock exhaust could have started there. +12dB is about right for someone like myself who is trying to find the sweet spot between "street brat" and "wife happy on vacation drive".

I am glad that Solo provides a 304 replacement resonator/muffler. This system also is nice in that one could easily go back to OEM since it wouldn't be cut at all. The biggest challenge would be storing it for years, lol.

Sponsored

Oko3612

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic PP 15 GT
Thanks for the information, very convenient.

+6dB (double loudness) is hardly worth spending money on, especially since even the stock exhaust could have started there. +12dB is about right for someone like myself who is trying to find the sweet spot between "street brat" and "wife happy on vacation drive".

I am glad that Solo provides a 304 replacement resonator/muffler. This system also is nice in that one could easily go back to OEM since it wouldn't be cut at all. The biggest challenge would be storing it for years, lol.
Exactly. Perfect system in every sense of the word. On a side note, youtube videos does really not do the system justice. 100x better in person:hail:

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
(My second request for [MENTION=18139]goingsolo2[/MENTION])

Steve, so let me ask you this.
  1. Ignoring the resonator U-shaped pipes (and their reduction of drone), would you say that the Solo system is equivalent to a stock system with straight pipes after the OEM suitcase?
  2. Does the flowrate stay high enough with the upsized 3" tubing so that there is no long-term gas corrosion?

shockme66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly. Perfect system in every sense of the word. On a side note, youtube videos does really not do the system justice. 100x better in person:hail:
Agree; also my DB samples were taking direct from behind the car about 4-6ft away from the exhaust. I only took one sample, so again nothing scientific, but would say it is a great improvement over the stock exhaust. If you want more volume go with the Thunder.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Agree; also my DB samples were taking direct from behind the car about 4-6ft away from the exhaust. I only took one sample, so again nothing scientific, but would say it is a great improvement over the stock exhaust. If you want more volume go with the Thunder.
As an acoustic engineer, I can assure you that you did the single most important thing, which is to place the recorder at the same location for both tests.

I may do some simple comparison measurements, too, with just a Radio Shack SPL meter. I would simply place it on top of the trunk at the back edge. Easy place to index the same for every car.

shockme66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an acoustic engineer, I can assure you that you did the single most important thing, which is to place the recorder at the same location for both tests.

I may do some simple comparison measurements, too, with just a Radio Shack SPL meter. I would simply place it on top of the trunk at the back edge. Easy place to index the same for every car.
Correct, the samples were taken at the same location for both the stock and Solo setups.

Sponsored

NEED2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT base PP Borla s-type H pipe
Can some take a DB levels of the street race and the thunder systems? I know they have this app for iPhone but not sure on android. Thanks!

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Can some take a DB levels of the street race and the thunder systems? I know they have this app for iPhone but not sure on android. Thanks!
Next time I have my car out I'll get the DB rating via my phone. Not sure how accurate it will be but I'll try.

Nick71692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Mustang
Ordered my system late Wednesday (probably 4PM EST), just got an email it is arriving today...couldn't be happier. Its like using Amazon prime! Awesome stuff so far [MENTION=18139]goingsolo2[/MENTION]

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Whats the app name on the iphone side?
Sponsored