Sold at mecum indy

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Damn. A brand new ‘21 for roughly $25k over msrp!
Well, as long as their are financially ignorant, just plan stupid people buying stuff without a clue to what it is worth, it will continue. Classic Example: Pet Rocks. When people are willing to pay $5 for a Worthless rock you got from the side of the road just because you called it "BOB", this crazy spending will continue.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I looked the lot up at Mecums: it's never been dealer prepped. I can think of at least two possible outcomes: 1) it's going to be pushed into storage for the next several years, 2) someone is going to attempt to flip it.

I'm interested to see the outcome of this car and several others posted throughout the forums. The premiums paid are often excessive to say the least. This example is already $25K in the hole.

Last edited:

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
I predict in the future the 2021 HP will be a collectors car if low mileage, M1 premium, Tremec, recaros, rear seat delete…and either on FJG or Twister Orange. But that’s my opinion

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I looked the lot up at Mecums: it's never been dealer prepped. I can think of at least two possible outcomes: 1) it's going to be pushed into storage for the next several years, 2) someone is going to attempt to flip it.

I'm interested to see the outcome of this car and several others posted throughout the forums. The premiums paid are often excessive to say the least. This example is already $25K in the hole.
Usually as you noted, the non-Dealer prep is what collectors seek, a vehicle with all the assembly line plastics, decals/stickers, labels and paper docs left in the car for the receiving Dealership (or owner). The thought process is - it's only in a "wrapper" once, and most of that stuff is always tossed by the Dealerships.

Did it have every possible option package available? What was its Chassis #, was it a lower sequence #? Usually that has bearing too on the purchase IF it was low (or in some cases high towards the last few built).

$88k is high, but most of those auctions are fueled on emotions... "gotta have it"... at any cost... Sometimes that mindset ends up in an upside down situation, because that owner may never get what they paid for it when it comes time to sell it in the future... or it takes 20-30 years just to break even.... LOL.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Usually as you noted, the non-Dealer prep is what collectors seek, a vehicle with all the assembly line plastics, decals/stickers, labels and paper docs left in the car for the receiving Dealership (or owner). The thought process is - it's only in a "wrapper" once, and most of that stuff is always tossed by the Dealerships.

Did it have every possible option package available? What was its Chassis #, was it a lower sequence #? Usually that has bearing too on the purchase IF it was low (or in some cases high towards the last few built).

$88k is high, but most of those auctions are fueled on emotions... "gotta have it"... at any cost... Sometimes that mindset ends up in an upside down situation, because that owner may never get what they paid for it when it comes time to sell it in the future... or it takes 20-30 years just to break even.... LOL.
I went back and re-read it. Nope. Other than a non-dealer prep, nothing special. Is a non-prep car special? Yes. Is it worth it? Gosh, I don't think so. If the car had some other special features or history, the non-prep along with everything else might have value. Everyone is different though.

I agree. We've probably all seen deals where people let it get away from themselves. The best deal I've seen on a high-end car involved Barrett Jackson. They were selling a 429 from a collection. The car did have some unique and special features (color combo, miles, history). It sold way over what even the commentators thought it was worth. The buyers exhausted themselves. Next car up: another 429, fully restored, concours. It sold for a lot less than the market in general at that time. Whoever bought it got a steal.

Getting back to the Mach 1, I don't see it breaking even for a really long time either, if ever. A lot of prices make headlines, but I'm not sure everyone does the math, subtracting for all the costs involved.

I personally don't like the idea of a car sitting, not broken in, potentially for years.
Sponsored