Sponsored

So who took their 'stang out in the snow today?

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had no choice bout to do the 20 mile cross country commute to work this morning at 6:30 and in a couple of inches of snow and slush. I was a little apprehensive to say the least. It wasn't very deep snow, but it was very wet and my journey takes on all the types of roads you can imagine from motorways to narrow country roads and even a bit of dirt track. Given the horror stories of Pirelli P Zeros' performance in the wet, I was fully expecting to have to Abingdon ship part way in.

However, with snow mode engaged and a sensitive right foot, I'm pleased to report that the 'stang exceeded expectations. It barely missed a beat save from the odd moment when (ensuring it was safe to do so) I applied some pressure to see what would happen. Minimal loss of traction with the TC doing its thing and cutting in allowing control of lateral movement.

Even on the slushy dirt track a bit too much throttle allowed the rear wheels to spin a little but al the time with the nose pointing straight forward.

Obviously, being an auto probably makes the drive a lot more forgiving. With a good set of winter tyres Id be totally confident going sledging again.
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Wet/Snow mode really brings the stability systems into player much sooner and quicker compared to normal mode.

I think the car in normal mode is a bit too much for some people and maybe the wet/snow mode stability system parameters should also be applied to normal mode with the only real difference normal mode giving is improved throttle response. I think this would be safer for many and a few of the cars that left the black stuff still might be on the black stuff now.

Ford have made high performance RWD available to the masses with Mustang, unfortunately a lot buying them have never owned RWD before and those here who have owned both will understand how RWD can easily catch out a novice.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Snow? Already? We just turned the heat on yesterday.

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
I'm using mine tomorrow, short commute but I'll still be in Sport+ :lol:

Seriously though, I've tried the wet/snow mode once, I wanted to delete it from the car's brain straightaway, it was terrible!! I do understand that if you drive like an idiot in bad weather, you'll crash like an idiot. It's all down to being sensible, if you're not used to 400 odd HP going through the rears, just be gentle, or get the bus :lol:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
No snow here, think it was melted as the americans (in 47% of their eyes) made the world burn...

Anyway in more serious points, Wet/Snow mode is very handy, as long as you know in the wet you shouldn't be trying to do Lewis Hamilton out of his job, you'll be fine ;)!

Sponsored

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes, the throttle response in wet/snow mode is annoying, about as responsive as a 20 year old transit van. However, when you do get caught out in particularly bad weather, you'll be glad of it.

Tacklebury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
I braved a -4 drive to work this week.

Bit of wheel spin off my driveway that's on a hill but apart from that it was ok.

The pirellis need a bit of heat to switch on but after a few miles it felt ok. I was still very gentle around tight corners but no real drama.

Personally when it rains I like that fact the pirellis are hard, it means free fun time with minimal tyre wear!

666mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT cars name (HAMMER)
No she is in hibernation till better weather to scared to drive it in the wet ha ha ha ha (she will get dirty)

Belly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT Auto, July build, Sept Arrival
I find the P zeros awful in the cold and wet. I can't remember what tyres were on the old sierra cosworth but even that had better traction.
On Monday I am booked in for some winter tyres. I use my car early everyday and I would rather a more 'sure footed' rubber in the cold. Fingers crossed they make a good difference.

Greg C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible
Had a little bit of drama yesterday- put my foot down in sport mode. Didn't realise road was a bit mucky due to nearby new housing estate being built & back lost traction & got a little bit wiggly- fortunately I was going in a straight line. Still on P Zeros so may have to change them & drive more sensibly. In the morning it was 0 degrees so used snow mode and no dramas.

Sponsored
OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My P Zeros got a good work out early on in their lives on a track day and I think this really helped to soften them up, making wet driving about less scary.

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
Mine's sat on the driveway for 2 weeks now. I've been either out at 5am or up in Birmingham, so the Viva with it's 55mpg has taken me (it DOES have a heated steering wheel.. so sue me!). Mine, for me, arrived at the wrong time. It's a great looking driveway ornament though :)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Yes, the throttle response in wet/snow mode is annoying, about as responsive as a 20 year old transit van. However, when you do get caught out in particularly bad weather, you'll be glad of it.

The throttle response is nothing short of annoying in that mode, it also cannot be modified by a tuner as wet/snow mode is locked by Ford as its part of safety system.

Quite annoying really because the throttle response does pretty much zero in keeping the car on the black stuff, if anything its worse as you give it more a foot full in that mode to get moving.

The real benefit of wet/snow mode is the stability system is designed to allow no slip angle or wheel spin, as such it works fantastic on that side. I tested all the modes on a cold wet large roundabout prancing around, in wet mode I could go WOT hard and the traction system gathered it all, it also allowed me to accelerate in a straight line over bumpy uneven road whilst constantly managing the torque preventing wheel spin.

Moving to normal mode on the Pzero the car got so much slip angle corrective lock was needed to correct a slide/spin and in a straight line wheel spin could get out of control also causing a spin/slide particular on aggressive gear change requiring driving input to correct it, otherwise you'd be off. The MPSS improve it and make the car a lot easier to drive quicker in wet conditions in normal mode without getting away from you but you still need to counter steer and modulate the throttle.

Sport or Race will let you spin very easily in the wet unless you know exactly what your doing and being smooth then the system might work with you a little, then the argument if you know how to drive you turn it all off anyway irrelevant of weather.

Wet mode is actually just like BMWs DSC turned on, it just happens to have terrible throttle response whereas on BMW you can set throttle response independent of DSC interaction, Ford does not allow this.

To be honest I think these cars have poor throttle response sub 3000rpm anyway, feels almost boosted its lethargic, yes tunes help it but I love snappy throttle response everywhere throughout the RPM band whereas the Mustang only induces whiplash past 3000rpm when burying throttle.

I am eager to try the GT 350 throttle body as in theory its stepped design could solve low throttle response and make it a snappy bitch at any RPM. :)

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
........and whilst playing, don't forget that in an auto it forgets your wet mode setting when you shift into park. I only did that once.

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
........and whilst playing, don't forget that in an auto it forgets your wet mode setting when you shift into park. I only did that once.
Good tip.

Also, I may be mistaken (not being a pro) but it seems the wet mod does allow some slight, controlled slipping of the rear wheels? After all the traction control can't cut power until it detects a break in traction? The effect this seemed to have was similar to ABS, but cutting power in and out rapidly applying enough power to maintain adequate forward motion. This is how it felt to me in a straight line at least. I dare say any sideways motion would result in complete cut of power. But I wasn't going to try to test that!

All that said, I have just bought a 4x4 for snow days and journeys to the tip as control of the car isn't my only concern with driving in the snow. Will help to keep the miles off too and was cheaper than a decent set of winter tyres.
Sponsored