Sponsored

So what's the deal with the 2K-rpm rattle?

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
One of the many threads on this has a guy that data logged to confirm it is the fuel system making the noise. Dives me crazy too but it's just a reminder to keep it about 3k as much as possible. Can't hear it if you hit the gas hard enough lol.
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Enjoy my sounds of me typing on an old manual typewriter. First time hearing it today at 4500k miles.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
One of the many threads on this has a guy that data logged to confirm it is the fuel system making the noise. Dives me crazy too but it's just a reminder to keep it about 7k as much as possible. Can't hear it if you hit the gas hard enough lol.
Fixed it for ya! :)

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I believe the 2k rattle on the Gen 3 Coyote is the sound of the high pressure fuel pump ramping up. The pump has a mechanical arm that runs off one of the passenger side camshafts, so I believe that creates a sort of resonance that sounds like a 'fluttering' sound in the 2-3k rpm range.
Makes sense. Hard to believe an engine is still running a mechanical fuel pump in 2020, but maybe the electric ones are less reliable at those high pressures.

my last vehicle was a kia optima, it had the same 2k rattle as the mustang does.
Interesting that my wife has a 2.0T SX Limited, and never heard that noise. The engine is noisy due to DI, but never heard a 2K+ rpm rattle, and I drive it in manual mode all the time. Will pay attention next time I drive it out of curiosity, but doubt I missed it :D.

I haven't asked my dealer about it yet, but will at some point. I hear it cold or warm; I think it is about the same in either case.
Hey, let us know what your dealer says. Also ask them if you run the engine right at that rpm range on the highway, if it could be a problem. That rpm range is right in the cruising range in 6th from about 75 to 90. So hopefully not, and I wouldn't care then. As I can only hear it with exhaust in quiet, and when going slow, which will rarely happen. When I drive alone I use sport exhaust, and can't hear it at all.

One of the many threads on this has a guy that data logged to confirm it is the fuel system making the noise.
How do you determine the source of a noise with data logging? If that's the case, it must be causing something to fluctuate then, so it might not be as harmless to the engine if you park it in the 'rattling' range on a long trip, as some people think, no?

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Enjoy my sounds of me typing on an old manual typewriter. First time hearing it today at 4500k miles.

That’s 100% fuel system.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Makes sense. Hard to believe an engine is still running a mechanical fuel pump in 2020, but maybe the electric ones are less reliable at those high pressures.

Interesting that my wife has a 2.0T SX Limited, and never heard that noise. The engine is noisy due to DI, but never heard a 2K+ rpm rattle, and I drive it in manual mode all the time. Will pay attention next time I drive it out of curiosity, but doubt I missed it :D.

Hey, let us know what your dealer says. Also ask them if you run the engine right at that rpm range on the highway, if it could be a problem. That rpm range is right in the cruising range in 6th from about 75 to 90. So hopefully not, and I wouldn't care then. As I can only hear it with exhaust in quiet, and when going slow, which will rarely happen. When I drive alone I use sport exhaust, and can't hear it at all.

How do you determine the source of a noise with data logging? If that's the case, it must be causing something to fluctuate then, so it might not be as harmless to the engine if you park it in the 'rattling' range on a long trip, as some people think, no?
I'll start by stating the obvious, I'm no mechanic. Our cars have 2 fuel systems and the data log proved that around the 2500 range is when the fuels systems transition. DI at higher RPM I think. The reason why we hear it is because under that RPM range it's quiet. My theory is that a fully DI car (like my last one) just makes it all the time so you're used to it. Again, no mechanic and just mostly repeating what I've read. Forgive me if I'm totally wrong lol.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
i had the 2.4 NA.. it was a 2015 base model automatic, i drove it around in manual mode all the time as well.. only way that thing felt like it had any power.. it didnt.. but it a lot more fun to drive that way :crackup:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
wow. you guys still worried about the tick? leave the fooking engine cover on then haha.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My former ST was DI and it made similar sounds. It honestly sounds like an older Honda that needs a valve adjustment. Clack clack clack!

My old New Edge 4.6 has a very specific rotational noise.. even with the serpentine belt off. It’s not a tick or knock but more like a whirring.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
My former ST was DI and it made similar sounds. It honestly sounds like an older Honda that needs a valve adjustment. Clack clack clack!
Like I said earlier, I just hit the gas harder so I don't hear it. LOVE this car!

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Like I said earlier, I just hit the gas harder so I don't hear it. LOVE this car!
It will certainly speak up when you crack the loud pedal. I love the transition in tone and volume around 4K on my GT. I assume that’s when the IMRC goes full open under 3/4 throttle or so.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I assume that’s when the IMRC goes full open under 3/4 throttle or so.
according to the stock data logs, 3180 rpm. This is for a 15-17 however. 18+ probably the same.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
It will certainly speak up when you crack the loud pedal. I love the transition in tone and volume around 4K on my GT. I assume that’s when the IMRC goes full open under 3/4 throttle or so.
Took the advise from another member here to do this, around 4k on an on ramp in 2nd (M6 car) and hit it. Smiles for the next few freeway miles. Want axle backs because the stocks look cheap but they sound soooo good I just can't. Only did an X pipe. Also, if you drive with the rear seat backs folded down, you hear more goodness in the cabin.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Our cars have 2 fuel systems and the data log proved that around the 2500 range is when the fuels systems transition.
Oh, that makes perfect sense now. Forgot about that little detail (about having both port and direct injection):D. Sorry for the brain fart.

wow. you guys still worried about the tick? leave the fooking engine cover on then haha.
I don't have one. Ha ha. And not 'worried'; just wanted to know what it was, and that no damage happens if you park the engine right at that range for hours on a long trip. That's all :D.
Sponsored