Sponsored

So now that the Mustang is gone, another Mustang?

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
I sold my 2020 GT to Carvana earlier this month. I've been looking at replacement cars. My criteria is simple: it must be a manual transmission, fun to drive. I prefer new, mostly because I don't want to deal with unknowns and a used car purchase can often be a crap-shoot.

I've test driven and eliminated the GTI, the WRX STi and Miata. I'm not interested in a Honda Civic or Camaro. Or Dodge. Porsches are too expensive and impossible to get right now, and the current BMW lineup limits me to just the M3 or M4 if I want three pedals. I'm kind of leaning that way though - ordering a new M3/4. Got to get past that grill though. :facepalm:

I'm running out of ideas. The evil little devil on my left shoulder keeps saying "buy another Mustang you idiot, why'd you sell the other one?"

Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts?
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
You've pretty much eliminated everything I was going to suggest....

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
I sold my 2020 GT to Carvana earlier this month. I've been looking at replacement cars. My criteria is simple: it must be a manual transmission, fun to drive. I prefer new, mostly because I don't want to deal with unknowns and a used car purchase can often be a crap-shoot.

I've test driven and eliminated the GTI, the WRX STi and Miata. I'm not interested in a Honda Civic or Camaro. Or Dodge. Porsches are too expensive and impossible to get right now, and the current BMW lineup limits me to just the M3 or M4 if I want three pedals. I'm kind of leaning that way though - ordering a new M3/4. Got to get past that grill though. :facepalm:

I'm running out of ideas. The evil little devil on my left shoulder keeps saying "buy another Mustang you idiot, why'd you sell the other one?"

If I may....

Personally, a 2019+ GT350 would be the car I would look for if you have any interest in a mustang. I had a 2019 Mustang GT PP2, it was a great car with ridiculous handling however, the getrag transmission was horrible. Under 2000 miles the shifting was rough and I've driven manuals for a very long time and raced them as well. Under load, it was nearly impossible to get the transmission to shift smoothly even with slower shifting. I believe a lot of people have experienced issues, it's the only reason I sold my PP2 which was a shame.

Another option is a 2016 - 2019 Z06 if it's within your budget, I sold my 2019 Z06 to get my GT500 and honestly, the GT500 was the only car I would have even considered, it was a tough decision in the end, wish I could have kept both. If you look at track times, the Z06 and GT500 are identical in performance. Z06 has better power low to mid, mine would absolutely pin you to the seat where the GT500 hits harder up top. Only bad thing is they hold their value extremely well so, a 2016 might be possible depending on your budget. The 2016's sell around low to mid 60's. My 2019 even after a year was still pulling in quite a bit (actually made money on it).

Dodge, aside from the Hellcat/Trackhawk it depends on what you are looking for. They are big and do not have the handling of a Mustang. Trackhawks are hard to find at a decent price but are a TON of fun.

Hope this helps...good luck!

Sponsored

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
Actually Chris, I have thought about the Z06. I've kind of BTDT with Corvettes though, and not sure that I want to go back. Really hard for me to get in and out of those things.
I hear that....that was probably the one thing I did not like about it! One question is are you looking for handling or straight-line performance? That would help eliminate some options.

The new Z is interesting and turbo should have plenty of room to mod if you wanted to.

Only issue is it may be tough finding one first year.

OP
OP
BimmerDriver

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
M2, wait for 400z, toyota 86/ brz, veloster n, Mazda 3.

Not too many cars still offered with a manual

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g20734564/manual-transmission-cars/
Thanks for the link, that will help.

M2: BTDT. 400Z, I wasn't aware of! 86/brz is under-powered, veloster you've got to be kidding me*, Mazda I dunno, maybe? Not crazy about FWD or 4 cylinders.

* - It's a Kia, right? Hyundai... same thing.

One question is are you looking for handling or straight-line performance? That would help eliminate some options.
Fun-to-drive. Which means, you know, everything. Handling and performance yet comfortable and safe. LOL, yeah, I know...

Treefrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium
Thanks for the link, that will help.

M2: BTDT. 400Z, I wasn't aware of! 86/brz is under-powered, veloster you've got to be kidding me*, Mazda I dunno, maybe? Not crazy about FWD or 4 cylinders.

* - It's a Kia, right? Hyundai... same thing.

Fun-to-drive. Which means, you know, everything. Handling and performance yet comfortable and safe. LOL, yeah, I know...

Veloster. Lol i know. 86/brz are under powered i agree.

Like i said not many options. #SaveTheManuals

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Do yourself a favor and test drive a Mach 1.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Mach 1 time.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm kind of leaning that way though - ordering a new M3/4. Got to get past that grill though
wait, you're gonna toss the black x40ix, right?

I might start a letter writing campaign to bring the manual to the Supra.
Or hang a sign under your 'wall of (sh)fame' with the running total of what you've spent on your cars over the decades. :)

Or do something really screwball and import a Nissan GTR/Skyline of suitable vintage.
or RX7 http://jdm-expo.com/vehicle-inventory/961-mazda-rx7-sale.html

Last edited:

Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
In my area there are a lot of good low mileage used Porsches. If I were you I'd do that or Mach 1 my .02

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3

If you keep going back and thinking about the Mustang,....go with your gut and buy another Mustang! Your gut is right probably 90% of the time!
Good luck.
Sponsored