Sponsored

So many hood strut choices, which one is the best?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Roush looks good, but I prefer not having to mess with hood realignment. How about this one, which was only mentioned once at the beginning: https://www.shopmrt.com/2015-2019-Mustang-MRT-Hood-Struts-p/80u900.htm . Doesn't seem to have any drawbacks, and no modification at all needed. Comments welcome, since I might have missed something. But so far, that'd be my choice. Thanks.
Doesn’t the fact that these were only mentioned once in 90 posts tell you something? Honestly they’re fine. Some folks didn’t like the fender mounting location (too far rearward). They’re the same price as Redlines so pick your poison.
Sponsored

GT4EVR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K2498; 2014 M-B SLK350; 2010 Maxima SV;
-When I bought my new 2019 Mustang Shelby GT350 in February 2020, getting a set of hood struts was one of the first things I did. In this day and age, for the $60K+ that these cars cost, I couldn't accept having to use a prop rod. Not realizing there were a number of different struts to pick from, and never having dealt with hood struts previously, I lucked out in buying "Redline Tuning 21-11030-02 Hood QuickLIFT PLUS Bolt-In (gas) Struts", black finish, w/ a 4 year warranty, for $100 via Amazon. I wasn't concerned about the cost (at this stage of my life, I'm fortunate enough to say) but my main concern, besides wanting a quality product, was not to have to drill any metal component of the car to install them. Thankfully that was the case with these Redline struts, as the only drilling required (using the provided step drill bit) was to make a hole in the plastic battery cover for the passenger side strut to pass through. I then cut a slit from the hole to the edge of the plastic cover to allow easy removal of the cover w/o having to unbolt the strut whenever needing access to the battery. (One could also eliminate any drilling altogether by simply leaving the plastic battery cover off; after all, cars operated fine w/o hiding any parts of their engine components under plastic covers for years.)

-The strut were easily installed, even by a novice "strut installer" like myself, with minimal tools, in less than an hour, with no problems. The windshield washer line was properly accommodated by the design of the passenger side mounting bracket, and noted so in the instructions. There were no issues with the hood bending/warping or being misaligned after the struts were installed. These Redline struts have a brand label on them that can be easily removed w/o leaving any adhesive residue, which I did, to furnish a more blackened factory-like non-descript appearance. Although easily removable by unscrewing one bolt, the prop rod was left intact just in case the struts weakened and failed, not having any experience previously with the longevity of these aftermarket struts, and also in the unlikely but not impossible event if I ever sell the car to a buyer who may want the car to be as OEM original as possible.

-Lastly, these Redline struts come with comprehensive yet clearly written instructions, with illustrations, to guide you step-by-step thru the installation process. For anyone like me who has ever attempted something for the first time, just be sure to read the instructions once to familiarize yourself, then twice to understand what you thought you were familiar with, then a third time to truly comprehend what you thought you already understood.

-In summary, I highly recommend Redline hood struts as the way to banish your prop rods; they rate 5++ stars out of 5!

JRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Bought the FP ones because, in late 2017, Redline had not made ones specific to the 2018. In short, the FP ones were garbage. I had multiple problems with them. When Redline finally released the 2018 specific version, I ordered immediately and haven’t looked back. The Redlines are better in every way, from design to the detailed instructions. They’re even easier to install. The higher price is justified.

I didn’t even bother putting the FP struts on eBay for fear of jeopardizing my 100% feedback rating. I wouldn’t sell them to my worst enemy.

Don’t think about this one...just order the Redlines!
Like my Redline's and they have great customer service. They work exactly as advertised.
I removed the stickers and went all black of which I think was an improvement.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I went with the MRT, since there's nothing to modify, only 1 hood bolt to remove (no misalignment), and looks as robust as the best of the rest. A guy with a GT350, who opens the hood every day, said he's had zero issues in over a year, so that sold me. Not the best service, for what I could tell, but I honestly don't care for something like that.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
Just installed the Redlines - watched the CJPonyparts video and then did it in twenty minutes.

I'll freely admit to having no mechanical aptitude whatever. If I pick up a screwdriver and look at a piece of machinery, it usually just commits suicide.

So, yeah - these struts are an easy install. :cwl:
20200524_135306.jpg
20200524_140008.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Marksman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Which Redline kit fits the 2019 Bullitt? There are 2 of them. I’m hoping it’s the one for EcoBoost/GT, and not the one for the GT 350.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
Which Redline kit fits the 2019 Bullitt? There are 2 of them. I’m hoping it’s the one for EcoBoost/GT, and not the one for the GT 350.
Well, the Bullitt is based on the GT, with add-ons, whereas the 350 has a different hood and a different engine. So my guess is that the Ecoboost/GT struts would fit it.

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Just saw a video about the boot struts, for a Mustang. It is made by Steeda, and literally pops the boot open. Good for when I am carrying stuff to put in the boot.

I am seriously considering this, and will probably look into the Steeda bonnet struts, too.

Cobraunit

Mustang Fanatic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Redline Tuning FTW! They have a 4 or 5 year warranty and the installation is super easy, Plus as others have stated their customer service is awesome! I've had them on three different Mustangs and also my Jeep. My buddy cheapened out and bought the Ford Performance ones and when he came over to compare the designs it wasn't even close. His hood was flexing due to the smaller hood bracket design and the fender brackets were twisting. He took them off the next day and bought the system from Redine Tuning. You get what you pay for!

https://www.redlinetuning.com/2015-Ford-Mustang-Hood-QuickLIFT-PLUS-p/21-11035-02.htm

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ontheedge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2019 K6383
I have steedas hood struts on my 2019 Bullitt and the fit, finish, sturdines, and funktion are unbetable.
NO im not sponsorerd by Steeda.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I didn't want to modify anything, so bought the MRT struts. BIG MISTAKE. There was no way to install them without hitting somewhere. But worst of all, even if nothing had hit, the hood only opens about 2/3s of the way, which is completely unacceptable. Sent them pictures, but they still want to charge me 20% restocking fee. If they do, I'll try to fight the difference after getting the credit with my credit card, out of principle. It was already a big inconvenience, and still have to ship the thing back at my expense. And be penalized when they're selling a product that doesn't fit my Bullitt? Not very ethical or professional.

At any rate, decided to solve the main problem of the crappy rod: too hot to touch. So found a piece of hose I had of the exact size, removed the rod, removed the bracket, and slipped about 4" of the hose thru those 2 90-deg bends, then close to the upper end, where it won't burn me when touched. Problem solved. Wasn't willing to modify anything, nor remove both hood bolts, so will keep it stock now. But wanted to alert others of this company, although I seem to be the only idiot to buy from them. Ha ha.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I ended up putting the Ford Performance on my '19 Bullitt, I like the logo facing outwards, don't really have them for a show, just wanted to get rid of the prop.
Yeah, I guess since they're about half the price of Steedas they may be a bit lower quality...

dukegsd13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randall
Vehicle(s)
2005 SuperDuty & 2019 Mustang PP2
I originally went with Steeda they are the strongest hood struts I’ve seen or used but I had some fitment issues rubbing my hood so I went with red line and they are awesome no complaints
31F497BD-DDAB-456D-BB4F-FF011BD224EC.jpeg
B486F3C2-8180-4393-BD06-4A6E00EFB144.jpeg
Sponsored