Sponsored

Snow tires for Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package?

CDN Jen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jennifer
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, 2021 Mustang GT PP Convertible
I just ordered a Mustang GT Premium convertible and I’m looking at a 3 month wait. In the meantime, the exact build I want is available but it has the GT Performance Package. I don’t really need the PP, but I’ll take it if it means I can get my Mustang now. But I live in MI and I’m concerned about the winter. This will be our second car and we both work from home, but it may need to be driven on occasion in the winter. Just small trips in the city, no long drives. I’m assuming since the tires are summer tires, I’ll NEED winter tires if I plan to take it out in the winter.

So my question is, how hard is it to get winter tires for a Mustang GT PP? Do you guys have any recommendations?

Other than winter driving, are there any other downsides or issues I should consider with getting the PP?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
It’s just my own opinion but if you can get it now with the PO you will not be disappointed. I lived in Chicago and every sports car I ever owned was stored in the winter. If you plan on driving it in the winter I would rethink that if you have other cars on hand. You living there know that you’re at the mercy of other drivers.

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
I would recommend Continental Full Winter Contact tires. I have used them for the past 6 years. They have an aggressive, but quiet tread pattern which works well in snow and icy conditions. I also recommend you leave all the "nanny" systems operational and toggle to snow mode when in snowy conditions. For more information, check out Tire Rack. They have on line testing information, on various brands, which may help you make a decision.

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
I would recommend Continental Full Winter Contact tires. I have used them for the past 6 years. They have an aggressive, but quiet tread pattern which works well in snow and icy conditions. I also recommend you leave all the "nanny" systems operational and toggle to snow mode when in snowy conditions. For more information, check out Tire Rack. They have on line testing information, on various brands, which may help you make a decision.
Your recommendation and suggestions are right on target....this is exactly what I would do in this particular situation.

Kevindust

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 401A PP2 Active Exhaust, 2016 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport Upgrade manual, 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
I drove my PP2 occasionally last winter on a set of 19" Continental Viking Contact 7s. As long as there is less than 3 inches of snow on the roads, the Mustang is better in winter driving than my Tacoma. The PP rear end is amazing, the PP brakes are amazing and snow/wet mode works. I would 110% get the PP, the only downside is price.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It’s just my own opinion but if you can get it now with the PO you will not be disappointed. I lived in Chicago and every sports car I ever owned was stored in the winter. If you plan on driving it in the winter I would rethink that if you have other cars on hand. You living there know that you’re at the mercy of other drivers.
As much as I agree, these cars can handle snow no problem, as long as you aren't trying to climb an unplowed mountain or something. The main reason I don't want to drive my nice cars in winter is the salt damage, but even that can be mitigated with a wax/oil spray.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
It’s very easy to order 245 45 r19 snow tires on wheels from tire rack with tpms sensors. After watching Facebook marketplace and Craigslist for a month, I found something used for 1/2 the price of new.

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3, 255/40/19 on both the 9" fronts and 9.5" rears.
Probably the best winter tires you can buy for winters we have around the great lakes.
115848.jpg
Came in here to post these. They are worth their weight in gold! I drove 3 North Dakota winters on those DAILY!

Nokian Hakkas or walk.

The rest dont come close. (unless studded LOL)

OP
OP
CDN Jen

CDN Jen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jennifer
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, everyone. I'm going for it! Heading to the dealer as soon as they open to try to get my hands on it.

Wish me luck!

Sponsored
OP
OP
CDN Jen

CDN Jen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jennifer
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! I don't plan on driving it in winter (also cuz of salt) but I wanted to preserve the option, just in case down the line. Sounds like it's doable, if needed, as long as I'm properly equipped.

I'm waiting for the dealership to open so I can stake my claim on the Mustang!

tenor.gif

OP
OP
CDN Jen

CDN Jen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jennifer
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the suggestions!

OP
OP
CDN Jen

CDN Jen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jennifer
Vehicle(s)
As much as I agree, these cars can handle snow no problem, as long as you aren't trying to climb an unplowed mountain or something. The main reason I don't want to drive my nice cars in winter is the salt damage, but even that can be mitigated with a wax/oil spray.
Yeah, salt is my other worry. I want to keep this baby for a long time. So two reasons not to drive it in winter!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yeah, salt is my other worry. I want to keep this baby for a long time. So two reasons not to drive it in winter!
Salt by itself isn't a huge deal, it's when it's wet that it poses the greatest potential for damage. The ions that damage metal require water to be present to form. If you want to drive the car on a dry day in the winter, that will be just fine. I did it probably 10 times last winter just to blow the dust out of the car, and the undercarriage still looks brand new. No oxidation on the aluminum parts either.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey