Sponsored

Snow tires for Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package?

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I had a separate set of Continental Snow tires and wheels on my 15GT her is Chicago.
I think it was a little much since I don't drive in the snow much. I like to take the car out when dry, the cold doesn't bother me.
This time on the Mach I'm going to do a separate set of All-seasons on their own wheels, probably Continental DWS tires
the Winter tires are too noisy and squishy!

Andy D

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Ruby Red
I guess this is not going to make a lot of you happy. I drive my 18 Mustang GT PP1 all year long here in Connecticut. I'm running Michelin 265x40 19's in the front on 19"x9.5" and 285x40 19's in the back on 19"x10". It handles and drives great and I can easily go through 2.5" of snow. Besides, after the roads are plowed it doesn't matter how much snow we get.

I don't buy the argument that narrow tires are better in the snow. You don't see narrow tires in the artic regions.

BTW, every time I get the car washed I have the bottom washed as well.

Just an alternative view.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I drive my Bullitt year round in Alberta.

Winter tires, added slim mudflaps, weathertech floor mats, Krown oil in the Fall. Wash the car in a touchless every week with under body wash. last oil change before winter I move to 0W-20 (as per allowed Ford spec). I'll be dead before the body rusts out, and I don't intend to leave an immaculate car behind me :)

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
I guess this is not going to make a lot of you happy. I drive my 18 Mustang GT PP1 all year long here in Connecticut. I'm running Michelin 265x40 19's in the front on 19"x9.5" and 285x40 19's in the back on 19"x10". It handles and drives great and I can easily go through 2.5" of snow. Besides, after the roads are plowed it doesn't matter how much snow we get.

I don't buy the argument that narrow tires are better in the snow. You don't see narrow tires in the artic regions.

BTW, every time I get the car washed I have the bottom washed as well.

Just an alternative view.
i used to drive my 06 GT year round as well. I had a dedicated set of 4 snow only tires and 200lbs or rock salt in the trunk. Handled well with smaller amounts of snow. Didn't take it out in blizzards!
The new GTCS will be a garage queen for the winter.....no snow for her!

Sponsored

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3, 255/40/19 on both the 9" fronts and 9.5" rears.
Probably the best winter tires you can buy for winters we have around the great lakes.
115848.jpg
Y'all read my mind....as I was just thinking ahead on what winter tires to get later this year.

I'm from Sauga so I'm exposed to the same weather as you....how much do these Nokians run when purchased in toronto?

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
2020 Convertible Mustang GT Premium
I picked up a set of used OEM rims & mounted some Michelin Pilot Sports. Personally opted for the 2017 California Special rim which have an 8.5Jx19 ET 42.5 on all four corners. Only get to see snow when going up to the slopes, "Granny" wet & snow mode tames the car right down to a fun manageable level..

IMG_4090.jpeg

RKRZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT MT82 PP1 301A AE MR
Y'all read my mind....as I was just thinking ahead on what winter tires to get later this year.

I'm from Sauga so I'm exposed to the same weather as you....how much do these Nokians run when purchased in toronto?
Somewhere around $1300-1400

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

RKRZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT MT82 PP1 301A AE MR
damn that's definitely a premium....but well worth it eh?
I'm sure you could get by just fine with Bridgestone Blizzaks or Michelin X-Ice, but when trying to figure out the best in the segment Nokian was consistently recommended by credible people. I didn't want to compromise when it comes to driving 460 now 480 hp through winter. Well worth it.

Sponsored

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure you could get by just fine with Bridgestone Blizzaks or Michelin X-Ice, but when trying to figure out the best in the segment Nokian was consistently recommended by credible people. I didn't want to compromise when it comes to driving 460 now 480 hp through winter. Well worth it.
So weird that you brought up Blizzaks and X-ice, cuz I had Blizzaks on my S197 and X-Ice 3's on my Eco =P (how did you know?)

But I'm with ya, as my GT will be a daily driver so I'm not going to take chances, and if I need to spend the money on the best winter tires then that's what I'll do.

The_Mad_Patcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I bought Pirelli Ice and Snow tires for my 2003 Marauder and they are great in the winter. Huge difference from my regular all weather tires on snow and ice, especially stopping distance. I do not drive the Mustang in winter.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
3 x Bavarian winters and 2 x upstate NY winters with my 16PP — Bridgestone Blizzaks worked great (these are on my wife’s Subaru too). Little loud, but solid grip.

The big question is whether you swap tires on the PP wheels each season, or get a dedicated winter setup…I ended up selling the PP wheels and tires for pretty good money and I bought nice 20” summer wheels with MPS4S, and scored the least expensive lightweight 19”ers and the Blizzaks for winter.

Enjoy the new car, it’s gorgeous! 🍻

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
+1 for Blizzaks (and a little weight in the trunk) - a little snow is no issue. Personally, I would get a second set of wheels and swap them in during the colder months

If you're driving like a madman on snow and ice I don't think it matters what tire you're running, bad things will happen :crackup:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I drive my Bullitt year round in Alberta.

Winter tires, added slim mudflaps, weathertech floor mats, Krown oil in the Fall. Wash the car in a touchless every week with under body wash. last oil change before winter I move to 0W-20 (as per allowed Ford spec). I'll be dead before the body rusts out, and I don't intend to leave an immaculate car behind me :)
Isn't it self defeating to wash the underside if you oil spray it? That just washes off the oil
Sponsored