Slight Drone

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
With my 3.7 I did away with the mufflers and resonator. In place of resonator I have this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HCA8B0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
in place of the mufflers I have 2 small glass packs.
At first I changed resonator to the link above and it was to quiet, I then took off rear mufflers and put on glass packs. It sounds good but has a slight drone at 1600 to 2000 RPM.
I will replace the rear glass packs. Would a chambered muffler help?
Sponsored

OP
OP
dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
Here is what I c an get
flowmaster.jpg

or
mbrp.jpg

for less than 100. Which would be better with the midmufflers I have?

OP
OP
dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
BUMP

SBPGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6, 1993 Probe GT
It's hard for someone to give advice on a mix and match frankenstein type exhaust that no one else has installed. I would assume the bigger oval mufflers would have less drone, but it depends on whats inside.

I have the MagnaFlow resonated "X" muffler and the SVE's 2015-2017 Mustang GT cat-back that has similar mufflers as your second pic. There is drone, but I am use to it. Also I just try to drive outside of those RPMs when I can.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Have to agree with mix and matching exhaust. It’s hard to see pin down the whys and how come. If you want a chambered exhaust it depends on what you want. A small chamber muffler will gain you the same drone a larger might be too quiet. Try spintech. The 6000 series seems to be a good in between with an H-pipe.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
Thanks guys for the info. I just might learn to live with it

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
When I had my 3.7 it droned with cheaper mufflers, even when I still had the stock resonator in place. Eventually I got a Borla S-type axle back, and the drone was gone. Still no drone with the Borla mufflers and an X-pipe. This tells me the muffler design is the primary factor in limiting drone. Borlas aren't cheap, though.

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Yeah I went through seven different exhaust configurations and the only thing that didn’t drone were the Borla S mufflers, both with an H pipe, and the factory resonator. This was all with a GT resonator back system so it’s all 2.5” vs 2.25”. It was a lot easier to find some lightly used axle back Borla’s for the GT exhaust too.

OP
OP
dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
I had Flow Monster mufflers put on. I got them from Holley right here in KY. They are a Borla type muffler. The drone is completely gone, in it place a nice healthy mellow exhaust sound. I am well pleased with these mufflers and considering the price I don't think you can get a better value
Sponsored