Sponsored

Side-Exit Exhaust - A la Boss 302

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I really like the side exit style exhaust on the 12/13 Boss 302 and I was considering doing a similar setup if possible on my upcoming '15 GT. The plan was to install cutouts post-cat, and then exit them to the sides in front of the rear tires via thin square piping. A recent thread shows a good underbody shot of a '15 Mustang, and it looks pretty flat under there. I don't want too much underbody protrusion to avoid excessive scraping over speed bumps and dragging in snow. Also, I would have liked to use existing bolts underneath to secure the extra piping, but I'm not sure where it is all going to fit up. Worst case scenario, I'll dump to the ground from the cutouts, but I really like side exit exhaust. Might be possible to route it past the (second resonator?) near those blue colored bolts in front of the rear control arms? What are your thoughts on this idea with this new picture:

Sponsored

Goblue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Put the sawzall down and back away from the car and no one gets hurt. LOL. Seriously, if you like it run with it. I think the chunkier nature of the older body style lent itself to that mod looking okay but with the softer curves of the new body I'm not sure it won't look out of place.

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
Side exhaust that is even in the remote area of my side windows is a no go due to stop and go traffic. Nothing worse than sitting there with your windows down while stewing in your own exhaust fumes.

I would like to know what Ford did to make it manageable....

On a side note is this what they people on the line at Ford wear?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

They restricted the flow of exhaust through the side pipes. Straight from the showroom they have restrictor plates installed that basically pipe only sound out the side pipes and not actual exhaust flow. Removing the restrictors increased the volume, but still there was very little actual flow out the side pipes. No worries about exhaust fumes.

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
They restricted the flow of exhaust through the side pipes. Straight from the showroom they have restrictor plates installed that basically pipe only sound out the side pipes and not actual exhaust flow. Removing the restrictors increased the volume, but still there was very little actual flow out the side pipes. No worries about exhaust fumes.
Very cool...All the benefits and none of the negatives. I think that might be fairly hard to manufacture yourself, however.

Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Side exhaust that is even in the remote area of my side windows is a no go due to stop and go traffic. Nothing worse than sitting there with your windows down while stewing in your own exhaust fumes.

On a side note is this what they people on the line at Ford wear?
Yes, that's what people on the line at ford wear.

Also, why would the exhaust outlet points matter unless you have your windows down? I mean, maybe you have your windows down all the time; I can probably count on one hand the number of times a year I'll have the windows down whilst driving.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Also, why would the exhaust outlet points matter unless you have your windows down? I mean, maybe you have your windows down all the time; I can probably count on one hand the number of times a year I'll have the windows down whilst driving.

When you have a nice sounding exhaust system you look for any and every chance to roll down the windows. Unless I'm sitting in traffic in summer heat and need to run the a/c, my windows are down.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
When you have a nice sounding exhaust system you look for any and every chance to roll down the windows. Unless I'm sitting in traffic in summer heat and need to run the a/c, my windows are down.
+1

Plus the AC cuts down on power so no thx unless it's 95 degrees out...

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
Yes, that's what people on the line at ford wear.
Mind = blown....

No uniform
No steel toed boots
No gloves required
No full length pants required
No requirements for hair being pulled back and or up

LOL...I had more safety requirements and standardization when I worked as a bartender...

Sponsored

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
It gets pretty warm inside those facilities, even when it isn't the middle of summer and humid outside. People working there dress accordingly.
The guys wrenching at my local mechanic manage a uniform that includes long pants, steel toes and a shirt...So do people working in hot kitchens, those that work in road crews , in the military, etc, etc...

It says something about your product when you have standardization and uniformity. If you dont care that your employees are standardized what makes you think you will care that my car is standardized and within tolerance.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
If you expect 1000s of people in multiple hot factories (did I mention that it can be over 90 degrees in there?) that produce the cars and the parts that build the cars to all wear long sleeve uniforms just so people that will never see them are happy, I'm afraid that is a case of unrealistic expectations. The wrenches at your local garage are in the public eye. Though, if they're wearing a uniform, its probably filthy. So, what does that get you in terms of public perception? People in kitchens, on road crew or in the military are dealing with very specialized situations with special rules and requirements, so not apples/apples.

I'd sooner say that factory workers that are comfortable are probably more effective than ones that buttoned up but sweating their asses off. They're probably also at less of a risk for heat-related health issues. That's why I'd think they'd take care to make sure they're doing a good job.

Look, I know our small shop gets real warm in the summer - to the point that spending any time out there in office clothes gets sweaty. When I've been on the floor at axle plants, it was noticeably warmer still and downright uncomfortable when so dressed. Even though the buildings are large, they're filled with machinery throwing off lots of heat. As long as people aren't wearing loose clothing that could get caught and have protective footwear and eye wear, I don't see why they should be forced to be uncomfortable. Their job is probably tough enough already.

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
If you expect 1000s of people in multiple hot factories (did I mention that it can be over 90 degrees in there?) that produce the cars and the parts that build the cars to all wear long sleeve uniforms just so people that will never see them are happy, I'm afraid that is a case of unrealistic expectations. The wrenches at your local garage are in the public eye. Though, if they're wearing a uniform, its probably filthy. So, what does that get you in terms of public perception? People in kitchens, on road crew or in the military are dealing with very specialized situations with special rules and requirements, so not apples/apples.

I'd sooner say that factory workers that are comfortable are probably more effective than ones that buttoned up but sweating their asses off. They're probably also at less of a risk for heat-related health issues. That's why I'd think they'd take care to make sure they're doing a good job.

Look, I know our small shop gets real warm in the summer - to the point that spending any time out there in office clothes gets sweaty. When I've been on the floor at axle plants, it was noticeably warmer still and downright uncomfortable when so dressed. Even though the buildings are large, they're filled with machinery throwing off lots of heat. As long as people aren't wearing loose clothing that could get caught and have protective footwear and eye wear, I don't see why they should be forced to be uncomfortable. Their job is probably tough enough already.
Audi, BMW and the Japanese manage it...There are reasons for standardization. You have the right to your opinion in this area but we know that attire has a direct impact on job performance, employee attendance and quality of work. Its also been proven that standardization across the board drastically reduces the level of quality issues. If you review compliance processes from ISO, SAS and business processes such as six sigma they focus on standardization which provides constant improvement and repeatable performance. This standardization encompasses everything from how you answer the phone to what you wear...When you get into the big leagues of six sigma in which there are 3.4 defective products for every million products produced, all of it matters. There has been a great deal of research and books produced on the topic.

When I look at that picture I think unorganized, sloppy, lack of standardization, safety hazard, etc, etc....If Ford doesnt care about the image they give to the customer what makes me think they care about the fit and finish of my car. It IS the little things that count.

Poisond281

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing exciting
Could it possibly have anything to do with where exactly there are in the production line? The majority of these are damn near fully assembled.... And if that's the case - who gives a shit about what they wear?

Of Wolf and Man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT
That is how they dress at Boeing too. On the floor the only requirement is safety glasses, bump caps in some areas, no open toed shoes or heels over 1 inch, and no skirts. If we can manufacture muliti-million dollar aircraft with precision and repeatability for civilians and the military, Im sure Ford can too.
Sponsored