Short block replacement 2018

Callahan94

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have a 2018 5.0 and it’s been rattling at 1500-2500 rpms. I have read all over the internet this is most likely piston slap. I have taken it to multiple dealerships over the course of a year. Finally ford found out the cam phasers needed to be replaced. After they replaced those I picked it up and immediately noticed the same sound. I had the ford technician ride with me and he told me that noise is normal with the 5.0s. I asked to drive a 5.0 off their lot and it didn’t make the noise at all. They sent my car to their general foreman. The next day I got a call from my advisor saying all he knows (because it’s Saturday) they found internal damage and they are ordering a new short block. Anybody have any experience with something similar? Why not replace the entire engine? At this point I really want out of the car. I want ford to buy it back but they want to give me way less for it.
Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Why? A new shortblock is a new engine. The only parts remaining are the heads and valvetrain and the only delicate part of that are the phasers which are already replaced. It it was indeed the piston slap you were already convinced of then that would take care of everything involved.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
It will be fine. Just relax, you're getting a new engine.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Because they are trying to save money.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Will Ford buy back a 4 - 5 year old car?​
No.

The car is now 5 years old...

In most States, a Lemon claim would have needed to be filed within the first 12 or 24 mos of the purchase date and/or 12k/24k miles (whichever came first). Also can't just file a claim without letting the Manufacturer first make good on the repair effort. Plus in some States there is also a 3-strike rule before filing (can only file after 3 repairs for the same problem) OR the car is in-op at the Service Center for 30-consecutive days OR 30-days within the calendar year. Every State has different Lemon Laws. Ford adheres to those State Lemon laws, they won't deviate and they don't add anything additional - so whatever your Home State Lemon Law provisions are, it is what it is for Ford too.

You're getting a brand new engine that will be completely under warranty - can't do better than that... If you want out of it, sell it outright or see what your Dealer will do with a trade in knowing it's going to have a brand new engine.

You're also lucky they are even replacing the engine - you must still be close enough to within the 5yr/60k Powertrain Warranty which is based on your vehicle purchase date.

Last edited:

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
Why not replace the entire engine? At this point I really want out of the car.
If you're still under powertrain warranty (assuming so in this case), Ford has certain warranty practices with anything driveline related. Being as whatever damage (I'd guess broken piston skirt) was found, a claim gets placed with Ford and they determine the level of repair required. My guess is damage found is bottom end with no top end issues, thus short block is more cost effective repair over long block. There's also supply chain issues, so that could be a factor too. I do question the phaser replacement though...that's really only noticeable on startup and more so on 3.5's.

I understand being worried about a heavily invasive engine repair, but as long as the tech is competent you should be ok. I'd be happy for a short block over told to kick rocks - normal condition.

If anything, trade it for a S650 lol.
Sponsored