Shifting from 3rd to 4th at high RPM - hitting 2nd instead

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Ok. I think it's me. I tried a few more 7k 3rd to 4th shifts. Honestly, I was so anxious about hitting and grinding 2nd again that I know I didn't let the RPM get quite to 7k and I shifted a bit more slowly and I know I went straight back. So, I did successfully hit 4th but my anxiety did prevent me from replicating the pull that I did when I hit 2nd. But... I did do some fast pulls from 3rd to 4th while having my clutch in and at a red light. Most of the time I hit 4th as expected. HOWEVER, I tried to visualize going fast and performing a shift quickly as if I was actually in that moment. I did hit 2nd a couple of times when I was thinking about going into 4th. So, I think that the slight raise of adrenaline (or whatever) resulted in me pulling in the direction of my wrist (which I noticed was angled toward 2nd) instead of actually pulling the stick straight back. I need to research a bit and see if it's bad form to have my wrist angled that way as opposed to having it in line with my forearm and the shift gate. I also need to see if I should be concentrating on pulling back with my forearm and shoulder as opposed to trying to move the stick too much by bending my wrist.
Definitely keep your arm straight. The mt82 is fickle for the reasons already stated. I used to have a cupholder style phone mount that put my arm at an angle as I shifted. I started to botch 2nd to 3rd redline shifts almost consistently (kept grinding gears), when I never used to. Long story short, I fixed it when I removed the phone mount and straightened my forearm and wrist.
Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I am actually thinking about an MGW. Also, what are some recommended clutches?
LPX or a Mcleod RST are good choices for street duty.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I have had lockout from 2-3 once or twice, but only when not paying attention to the shift motion and banging of rev limiter. NEVER 3-4. You may be unconsciously pulling the shifter towards you just a bit too much when pulling back into 4th. I'm usually looking to back off speed at full throttle in third as I am in Go to Jail territory,

The Steeda rear mount works well to help with this but the tail/body mounted shifter sucks compared to a transmission mount setup. But with the Steeda mount and BG kit, things are pretty much perfect for me.

OP
OP
Gallatyn

Gallatyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I have had lockout from 2-3 once or twice, but only when not paying attention to the shift motion and banging of rev limiter. NEVER 3-4. You may be unconsciously pulling the shifter towards you just a bit too much when pulling back into 4th. I'm usually looking to back off speed at full throttle in third as I am in Go to Jail territory,

The Steeda rear mount works well to help with this but the tail/body mounted shifter sucks compared to a transmission mount setup. But with the Steeda mount and BG kit, things are pretty much perfect for me.
Yes. I think I'm pulling the shifter towards my body from my heightened sense of excitement of going pretty fast (edit: not THAT fast but getting up to around 100ish MPH fairly quickly) in 3rd at 7K RPM instead of being more composed and pulling straight back.

Last edited:

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Yes. I think I'm pulling the shifter towards my body from my heightened sense of excitement of going pretty fast (edit: not THAT fast but getting up to around 100ish MPH fairly quickly) in 3rd at 7K RPM instead of being more composed and pulling straight back.
I'm going 70+ when 2nd to 3rd, 120ish when 3rd to 4th..... I would NEVER go that fast officer.......... :sunglasses:

Just like handling fire arms. Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast......... Work on technique. The torque load and tail shifter are a thing though. The first time I experienced the lockout from 2-3 I was shocked.

Driving a 76 Porsche for years, I am used to having to be clean and precise with shifts. The old school H shifters and gates are long gone. A little finesse and accuracy and you will be good to go. That is if your car isn't impounded :crackup::crackup:

I was recently travelling and away for a month, took the Bullitt out for a drive (about 150 miles) Found myself on a clean and clear 2 lane road and ran it in redline to 4th gear..... SO MUCH FUN...... I love the long gearing of the Bullitt, is perfect for how I like to drive. NOT great for 1/4 mile digs, but perfect as a Grant Tourer..........

Sponsored

SLIC V6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 Act Ex. MT82 Stick
I think I'm pulling the shifter towards my body from my heightened sense of excitement of going pretty fast
Gallatyn,

Next time you get out to practice try this: rotate your right hand to the left a bit as you are gripping the shifter. Have your pointer finger knuckle pointing toward the top of the driver side window. It will feel a little awkward until you get used to it, but it will actually keep you from pulling the shifter toward yourself on the 3-4.

I hope this helps!!!
- Jerry

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I may be wrong about this, and I apologize if I am, but I suspect it's a matter of incorrect technique.
How do you hold and move the shift knob while shifting? Do you grab it with your whole palm, then you move your hand, forearm and arm together in unison? If so, then that's where your problem lies.
To shift from third to fourth do the following: place your hand above the shift knob, but do not grab it. With the hand in that position, palm facing straight down but not resting on the shift knob (it may touch the top of the knob lightly, but not rest on it), touch the frontal side of the shift knob or of the lever with your fingers and push it rearwards. Do not pull it with your palm, but push it from behind with your fingers. Move only your fingers and your wrist, not your arm or shoulder. It will go into fourth as smoothly and easily and securely as one could ever hope, each and every time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gallatyn

Gallatyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I may be wrong about this, and I apologize if I am, but I suspect it's a matter of incorrect technique.
How do you hold and move the shift knob while shifting? Do you grab it with your whole palm, then you move your hand, forearm and arm together in unison? If so, then that's where your problem lies.
To shift from third to fourth do the following: place your hand above the shift knob, but do not grab it. With the hand in that position, palm facing down but not resting on the shift knob (it may touch the top of the knob lightly, but not rest on it), touch the frontal side of the shift knob or of the lever with your fingers and push it rearwards. Do not pull it with your palm, but push it from behind with your fingers. Move only your fingers and your wrist, not your arm or shoulder. It will go into fourth as smoothly and easily and securely as one could ever hope, each and every time.
That's actually exactly how I shift from 3rd to 4th with my regular city driving (hand over shifter but not palmed and fingers pushing it back). However, I noticed that I don't do that on 3rd to 4th when going quicker and faster (I had my palm around the side of the shifter).
I did do some fast pulls from 3rd to 4th while having my clutch in and at a red light. Most of the time I hit 4th as expected. HOWEVER, I tried to visualize going fast and performing a shift quickly as if I was actually in that moment. I did hit 2nd a couple of times when I was thinking about going into 4th.
I think I'm pulling the shifter towards my body from my heightened sense of excitement of getting to 100ish MPH fairly quickly in 3rd at 7K RPM instead of being more composed and pulling straight back with my fingers over the shifter.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That's actually exactly how I shift from 3rd to 4th with my regular city driving (hand over shifter but not palmed and fingers pushing it back).
Perfect. :thumbsup:

I had my palm around the side of the shifter
Bingo! That's your issue right there. Once you put your palm around the side of the shifter, you've set the scene for pulling the lever laterally towards you, even without realizing it. Second and fourth are pretty close to each other. It doesn't take much to miss the shift; just a tiny bit of lateral pull is enough.
Never place your palm like that unless you're shifting into second or first.

I think I'm pulling the shifter towards my body from my heightened sense of excitement
Yes, I think that must be it. Just take your time and do it in a calm and controlled manner. Don't rush it. A quarter of a second less won't make a huge difference, but a missed shift will. :)

Last edited:

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - I have only rarely done fast shifting and never at a really high rpm. I’ve never had an issue with 3rd to 4th but was occasionally getting 4th when shifting from 5th to 6th which was a little annoying. To avoid that I consciously put a just little pressure toward the right and solved the issue. It eventually became a natural part of my shifting and now is a rare occurrence. My wife, who occasionally drives the Bullitt had the same issue. There is a natural tendency for a manual floor shifter to want to center toward neutral, be it a 4 or 6-speed, but that not a valid reason for what was happening to me. There are always going to be some small differences in our cars as the shifters and trannys are mass produced and they’re both assembly line installed. I never had that occur with the 6-speed shifter in my C4 Vette which was similar in style and positioning. The first time it happened to my wife I said to her ”Until this occurred I was convinced you were perfect.” Bruce
Sponsored