Sponsored

Shifter rattles bad... Any suggestions to eliminate it?

Monumaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black S550
I have the Ford Racing short throw shifter along with the blowfish racing bracket. I absolutely love how it shifts. It's a great combo. However the plastic piece on the shifter rattles so bad, it's gonna make me go crazy!!! The piece that moves up and down to get it into reverse is the problem. Anyone have a suggestion?
Sponsored

pulcini011990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt guard green
I have the same setup and the same problem. Drives me nuts when i put my foot down. Havent found a solution for it yet :(

Sent from my LG-V497 using Tapatalk

EcoBlue68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Impact Blue Ecoboost
I used to have this unit. Unfortunately there isnt a real solution available. You have a plastic reverse lockout collar which has some slop over the shift lever itself and that thing just vibrates away. The issue is that you need to isolate the plastic to metal contact somehow but you cant use a rubber or tape or anything of the sort because there still needs to be a sliding connection.

If you want to solve the solution then your most likely going to need to swap shifters.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Try putting an o ring between the collar and the shifter assembly and see if that helps.

OP
OP

Monumaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black S550
I ordered an aluminum one peice reverse lock out collar from Barton industries. Let's see if that helps any. It's gotta be a little heavier and maby won't be as bad as the chinsky oem plastic.

Sponsored

kenbidwell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2020 F250 Tremor, 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP(wifes car)
I have the Boomba shifter and Blowfish bracket and I have a shifter rattle as well. The mechanism is all metal on the Boomba shifter so it is not just the plastic parts rattling.

Cescon5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT PP
I also have the ford racing short throw shifter and blowfish bracket on my car. Under normal driving the noise or vibration is not so bad, under heavy acceleration or even moderate acceleration the plastic reverse lockout collar vibrates as well as the spring for the reverse lockout collar. I don't really mind it but it makes the car sound cheap or as if there is something wrong with it. Guess its not just me with this issue, thought it might have been installed wrong.

Really thinking into getting a new shifter soon.

Does anyone else feel notchiness and and loud metal clunking sound when shifting from 1st to 2nd when the car is cold. After a few minutes it goes away for me, maybe it is just because the car is still fairly cold, any thoughts?

OP
OP

Monumaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black S550
I also have the ford racing short throw shifter and blowfish bracket on my car. Under normal driving the noise or vibration is not so bad, under heavy acceleration or even moderate acceleration the plastic reverse lockout collar vibrates as well as the spring for the reverse lockout collar. I don't really mind it but it makes the car sound cheap or as if there is something wrong with it. Guess its not just me with this issue, thought it might have been installed wrong.

Really thinking into getting a new shifter soon.

Does anyone else feel notchiness and and loud metal clunking sound when shifting from 1st to 2nd when the car is cold. After a few minutes it goes away for me, maybe it is just because the car is still fairly cold, any thoughts?
I had the same set up with the same problems. Simple fix. 1st you need the Barton industries one piece aluminum pull up collar. It has a rubber o ring in it and eliminates 90% of that god awful rattle. 2nd you need to change your trans fluid to Royal Purple synchromax. It takes 2.7 quarts. You can thank me later! Lol...

jhann76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Boomba and Blowfish

I have the same set up and the same issue. I get a rattle in mainly 2nd and 3rd gear from about 2500 to about 3000 rpm's. It does seem to dissipate a bit after about 20 minutes of driving when the car is warmed up. But it is annoying for that first 20 minutes or so. Did you ever figure out a solution?

I have the Boomba shifter and Blowfish bracket and I have a shifter rattle as well. The mechanism is all metal on the Boomba shifter so it is not just the plastic parts rattling.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I just installed the Full Tilt Boogie shifter bracket and got the same shift collar rattle, among more trans noise in the cabin.

I purchased felt from craft store, pillow fluff, super glue and dynamat sheets. I removed the top part of the center console and put 2 layers of dynamat about 8x5" and cut a hole for the shifter boot. I then shoved a full bag of pillow fluff all around it once I put the console area back (stuffed it through the shifter boot hole).

Then put the stock boot and collar back on and it was about 15% quieter, but the rattling and vibration was still there. I determined it was the actual shift lever vibrating since it's now on the transmission, causing it and the collar to go crazy together in a symphony of annoyance.

I glued 2 pieces of felt vertically INSIDE the plastic collar, all the way up. I made sure the felt overlapped on the bottom side to make a barrier there (removed the FTB rubber O ring) and threw it all back on the car. The rattling collar is 95% gone, It happens randomly every blue moon, maybe some more felt could cure it, haven't checked.

Keep in mind, it makes the collar a bit stiff, as there wasn't a ton of room, but its worked itself in, and feels pretty good now.

Hope this helps a few of you.

Sponsored

pulcini011990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt guard green
I found the best solution was to purchase the barton reverse lockout collar. Got rid of all the rattling noices i had and only got about 40$. Best money i ever spent lol

Sent from my LG-V497 using Tapatalk

jhann76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
I can't use the Barton reverse lockout collar with the Boomba Racing shifter. I think the rattle is coming from the vibration on the shifter itself. The rattle stops if I lightly press the shifter toward whatever gear it is in (i.e., pressing the shifter up when it is in 3rd gear, down in 2nd, etc.). I was just wondering if there was any fix or anything to lessen that kind of rattle... aside from a different shifter of course. Lol.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
I have early model Steeda shifter handle (not the whole shifter) and mine was rattling at first. Steeda and others on the forums told me to adjust the set screws on the shifter out some more to take up the gap. I had to adjust it so many times before getting it right, my stock knob stripped out from being taken on and off...lol...oh well, got the Speed Dawg knob I really wanted now :) Though since I got the Speed Dawg knob on, the rattle is back! I think the set screws on the Steeda handle eventually rub into the collar and it'll just keep rattling. Might have to try this Barton reverse collar one! Is it compatible with the Steeda handle you think? I wonder if I might need to get the updated Steeda design, as they said they made improvements to the design and it doesn't look like it has set screws anymore. Hmm....

gottasrt4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Premium and '05 Neon SRT4
Man I just got this installed & rattles like crazy. I’m kinda surprised, and a little disappointed, that a ~$500 shifter still needs an additional part years after the problem’s been identified & resolved, but not incorporated into newer shifters.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Man I just got this installed & rattles like crazy. I’m kinda surprised, and a little disappointed, that a ~$500 shifter still needs an additional part years after the problem’s been identified & resolved, but not incorporated into newer shifters.
I switched to the Barton full shifter and love it. Gets rid of the collar altogether as it’s a push down style reverse.

IMG_1636.jpeg
Sponsored