Sponsored

Shift effort with Barton?

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Curious to hear what people with Bartons on their GT350s think of the shift effort. I really like my MGW but the shift effort is too high - I broke my right shoulder years ago and it's never been quite right and the shift effort with the MGW really aggravates it unfortunately. I enjoyed the factory shifter but it had the defective reverse lockout so I'd rather not go back to that.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.
Sponsored

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
No experience with the Barton, but I believe you can change/remove springs in the MGW to make shift effort lower.

OP
OP

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Yes I forgot to mention that I had already done that.

I own several other manual sports cars and they don't tweak my shoulder the way the MGW does for some reason. Heck, I even have a taller shift knob for more leverage.

OP
OP

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
You can replace the factory reverse gear lockout with this aluminum one from Steeda. I have it on my car and it fits like factory.

Steeda 555-7080 Mustang GT/EcoBoost/V6 Billet Aluminum Reverse Lock-Out Collar (15-22)
Interesting idea, thank you. The issue with my OE shifter was the lockout collar would not properly drop down when you took the car out of reverse so it would slip back into reverse when you were trying to aim for 1st gear. I wonder if the heavier aluminum one like yours would help in that regard.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have one of the Steeda aluminum reverse lockout collars. I tried to install it in the factory boot (you have to pop some of the stitched threads). the problem is, the thread kept unraveling. I ended up having to buy a brand new factory boot. For now, the aluminum collar sits in my parts drawer awaiting another possible attempt to install it.

Last edited:

P85596

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I work at a dealership and had the service department install it and it's worked perfectly. No problems with the boot or anything else. It has a nice weight to, not like the original plastic piece which broke in half.
Sponsored