TraKWeapon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack On Order
I think some of you need to read the history books. Shelby was the only American company to ever win the International Sports Car championship. And Ford should not forget that. Too bad so many Mustang owners have. Europeans I think have a better memory of that and the Shelby name will be welcome in Europe.
I’m very familiar with the history and have great respect for Carroll Shelby. But that was 50+ years ago. They are not the same company as they were back then. It’s just marketing when they use the name but there’s no direct input on the development of the cars. That’s the reality in 2015. Also note that Ford is using Multimatic and Ganassi Racing for development of the FGT that will race LeMans next year. Not Shelby America.

http://www.chipganassiracing.com/Our-Teams/Ford-Chip-Ganassi-Racing-with-Felix-Sabates.aspx
Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
This is a very ambitious plan and probably will lead to Ford permanently owning the Shelby brand name when Shelby American fails.

All Shelby American have been is an overpriced FRPP parts installer with a Shelby body kit. How much research and development do they even do?

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
In the Tradition of the relationship...All the Shelby's ever were .... was a Commissioned Mustang built up by Shelby with aftermarket racing upgrades that were backed by ford with a simple mission....to Beat the crap out of whatever else was out there. To a degree they did what they were commissioned to do. They then built their reputation and business off of that. The name draws a premium on the price tag, but its not anything we can't do ourselves to a base Mustang and a fraction of that cost.

The GT350 is an evolution of the design of the Mustang and a convergence of many different areas of where performance can be squeezed out of a car while keeping it ....

relatively affordable.

Its a progression towards better things to come. Therefore a milestone vehicle for FORD. And a hat tip to Shelby. But, we all know this is more FORD than it is Shelby.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I think some of you need to read the history books. Shelby was the only American company to ever win the International Sports Car championship. And Ford should not forget that. Too bad so many Mustang owners have. Europeans I think have a better memory of that and the Shelby name will be welcome in Europe.
:cheers::cheers:

:ford:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ford's capability to develop a performance car is way beyond that of Shelby - and has been since the 60s. The name has been just a name for over 40 years - this is nothing new. I like the Shelby name, though. I don't really care whether something specific on this car (other than vision or purpose) came from Carroll Shelby or not. I guess I'm a little ambivalent, but I never liked "Boss" especially. I associate Cobra with Shelby; to me it's odd to have one without the other.

So maybe a new name? I would be fine with something new, but no matter what, someone will talk it down. I suppose Ford could follow Chivy and do numbers, but I'd rather see them lead or stick with what works.

I don't really like the Hellcat name. It's alright, but ultimately just makes me say, "meow."

Sponsored

markham51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
I don't pretend to know what is good for the Ford (or Mustang) brands internationally but I own 3 (soon to be 4) Shelby licensed Mustangs. When people look at one of my Mustangs appreciatively and ask what it is...I tell them it is a Shelby Mustang. While it means little to some...it means a lot to the muscle car crowd and those who have purchased Mustangs over the years.

If you go to the Shelby site, some of the Shelby people (a minority) think Shelby shouldn't license Ford to use the name because Shelby didn't build it. "It's not a REAL Shelby" they argue....

So when I see people here say...Ford shouldn't use the Shelby name because "Carrolls gone" or they don't have respect for Shelby American because they are a small player in a crowded market...I have to say it doesn't surprise me. Opinions are just that..opinions and everyone is entitled to them.

Personally...as a true Ford guy for many years...I am proud to call my car a SHELBY Mustang. It was... and still is a respected partnership. I have a 2016 GT350 on order...White with Blue Stripes.... When someone asks me what it is...I will say it's a new Shelby Mustang...it goes like hell and I love it to death! And they will smile appreciatively....just like car lovers did 50 years ago :ford:

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Bottom line is this: if this GT350 was called something else and didn't have the Shelby name on it, it would be selling just as well with virtually the same amount of hype on it.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
Now that Carroll has passed and it is a company relationship with Ford rather
than a personally one, maybe it makes sense to let Shelby do as Roush, Saleen and
others do, take a production mustang and go nuts and brand it a Shelby.
^^ THIS ^^

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
Who owns the Cobra name? is it licence out by Shelby? If Ford owns the Cobra name then use that, if Shelby owns it...then I can see why the GT350 still have the Cobra on the side....strange that its never referred too as a Shelby Cobra GT350

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
I don't pretend to know what is good for the Ford (or Mustang) brands internationally but I own 3 (soon to be 4) Shelby licensed Mustangs. When people look at one of my Mustangs appreciatively and ask what it is...I tell them it is a Shelby Mustang. While it means little to some...it means a lot to the muscle car crowd and those who have purchased Mustangs over the years.

If you go to the Shelby site, some of the Shelby people (a minority) think Shelby shouldn't license Ford to use the name because Shelby didn't build it. "It's not a REAL Shelby" they argue....

So when I see people here say...Ford shouldn't use the Shelby name because "Carrolls gone" or they don't have respect for Shelby American because they are a small player in a crowded market...I have to say it doesn't surprise me. Opinions are just that..opinions and everyone is entitled to them.

Personally...as a true Ford guy for many years...I am proud to call my car a SHELBY Mustang. It was... and still is a respected partnership. I have a 2016 GT350 on order...White with Blue Stripes.... When someone asks me what it is...I will say it's a new Shelby Mustang...it goes like hell and I love it to death! And they will smile appreciatively....just like car lovers did 50 years ago :ford:
I agree in part...but frankly I think the New GT350 Ford has made is going to go a long way in the building (or adding on to) the favorable reputation of Shelby America, and no doubt they will benefit in "spades" with the favorable publicity of the new GT350. No doubt they will pick the low hanging fruit to those not versed in the changes to the S550 suspension and over all new technology features of the new GT350, and thereby sell cars to those who may not be able to procure a GT350 for themselves from a Ford dealer.

I'm starting to think that Ford should of branded this as another named car....but in reality it probable benefited both sides of the parties the same in the long run...:shrug:

Sponsored

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Since Carroll Shelby was involved in the very early planning stages of the GT350, I think it's entirely appropriate for the Shelby name to be attached to the car. But I'm also happy that this is the first Shelby Mustang totally engineered and built by Ford. Perhaps the GT350 will be the only (and last) Shelby tribute from Ford.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Since Carroll Shelby was involved in the very early planning stages of the GT350, I think it's entirely appropriate for the Shelby name to be attached to the car. But I'm also happy that this is the first Shelby Mustang totally engineered and built by Ford. Perhaps the GT350 will be the only (and last) Shelby tribute from Ford.

I'd be surprised. Rumors of GT500s are running wild.

I'd say that since 2007, all of the GT500s were 100% engineered and built by Ford. I'm sure they consulted the man but I also doubt many/any aspects of Fords design were disputed.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I would like there to be at least one more shelby, a factory produced gt500
^^THIS!!
Make it as bad ass as the 2013/2014 model year GT500's and we'll have another winner. :thumbsup:

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
I'd say that since 2007, all of the GT500s were 100% engineered and built by Ford.
From the articles I've seen, all Shelby Mustangs assembled since 2007 and before the 2015-16 GT350s were based on Mustangs built in Flat Rock but either had some engineering by Shelby or were sent to Shelby in Las Vegas for finishing. Is that not correct?

azsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Raptor
From the articles I've seen, all Shelby Mustangs assembled since 2007 and before the 2015-16 GT350s were based on Mustangs built in Flat Rock but still were sent to Shelby in Las Vegas for finishing. Is that not correct?
No, they are all built and completed in the Ford plant, and the engines are built in a Ford plant. Shelby America has zero to do with any of the Shelby cars coming from Ford. It would be ridiculous for Ford to build the cars in Michigan, ship them to Vegas, and then ship them back to Michigan for transport. I saw a video after the 07 GT500 was revealed and Shelby was taking the GT500 for a test drive. It went over the manufacturing process from start to finish, all was done exclusively with Ford, and as mentioned Carroll Shelby only consulted, from what I saw on the video via phone and a few visits. He really had little to nothing to do with the recent GTXXX cars coming out of Ford.
Sponsored