Sponsored

Shelby GT350 - 7 Reasons I'm Not Buying The 2016 Shelby GT350!

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
In all seriousness, I found myself saying just the opposite of most of the reasons he stated as to why I AM buying a Shelby GT350.

1. It won't be my daily driver, but if it was, I think it will be MORE streetable that a GT500, especially in adverse weather conditions.

2. I don't want a supercharged Mustang, thus I am willing to sacrifice the low-end torque. And the supercharger sound? Well it's cool, but nothing on the street sounds like the FPC at 8200 RPM!

3. I don't care about just going in a straight line.

4. Yeah, the look. Just keeps getting better and better!

5. I've always been an early adopter of new tech. My whole career is based on technology, and I like being on the bleeding edge of it. Bring on the "problems"! Plus, we're not guaranteed further releases of the GT350 in the current form. With new CAFE standards hitting in the next few years, and with Ford already going Ecoboost for the the GT, it's very possible that this may be one of the last hurrahs of the American V8 in a Mustang.

6. Don't care about depreciation, although I suspect it won't be nearly as bad with the GT350. And yes, in fact I WILL spend thousands for that new car smell!

7. Reasons 6 and 7 both deal with practicality. Screw that! If I was being practical, I'd buy a f'n minivan!
Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Good video and I thought his thoughts were well spoken. Everything he said made sense. Better than many youtube videos I've seen.

I thought about buying a used GT500 instead of getting a GT350. I think the GT500s are cool and I think I'd enjoy driving one daily. I could have saved on depreciation and ADM would not have been an issue. However, I always wanted the GT350 more and as long as I had a chance to get one at a reasonable price I was always going to choose the GT350 over the GT500. Now after owning a GT350 I'm too spoiled to go back to driving one of the older models of Mustangs, as well. I would do it if I had to due to financial problems or something, but for me the GT350 is much more desirable.
Well said. HACK for president.

sm32589g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP DIB
I didn't know they made 4x4 Shelby's. But then again there's no turns in Indiana...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
In all seriousness, I found myself saying just the opposite of most of the reasons he stated as to why I AM buying a Shelby GT350.

1. It won't be my daily driver, but if it was, I think it will be MORE streetable that a GT500, especially in adverse weather conditions.

2. I don't want a supercharged Mustang, thus I am willing to sacrifice the low-end torque. And the supercharger sound? Well it's cool, but nothing on the street sounds like the FPC at 8200 RPM!

5. I've always been an early adopter of new tech. My whole career is based on technology, and I like being on the bleeding edge of it. Bring on the "problems"! Plus, we're not guaranteed further releases of the GT350 in the current form. With new CAFE standards hitting in the next few years, and with Ford already going Ecoboost for the the GT, it's very possible that this may be one of the last hurrahs of the American V8 in a Mustang.

6. Don't care about depreciation, although I suspect it won't be nearly as bad with the GT350. And yes, in fact I WILL spend thousands for that new car smell!

7. Reasons 6 and 7 both deal with practicality. Screw that! If I was being practical, I'd buy a f'n minivan!
Wow! I agree with everything you said there. Very impressive!

Well said. HACK for president.
:crazy:

:cheers:

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Tough forum. Just don't get in a drag competition with him...even if you put on a skirt, he'd still probably beat you.

Sponsored

sm32589g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP DIB
Tough forum. Just don't get in a drag competition with him...even if you put on a skirt, he'd still probably beat you.
Have you ever seen him shift in his videos...my unborn child will drive better than he does!

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
The Shelby GT350 is a car that goes against the grain. I can't emphasize enough how special this car is. It's a Mustang that's not really a Mustang. It's an American car that's not really an American car. You either get it, or you don't. Frankly, if you don't get the nature of the GT350, I'm glad because that just means one less person in my way.

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Only reason I didn't buy a GT350 - must have the auto trans :(

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
How about 7 Reasons for a Haircut

lol

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm glad I didn't waste my time watching. You all answered what his beef with it is.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The Shelby GT350 is a car that goes against the grain. I can't emphasize enough how special this car is. It's a Mustang that's not really a Mustang. It's an American car that's not really an American car. You either get it, or you don't. Frankly, if you don't get the nature of the GT350, I'm glad because that just means one less person in my way.
:headbang::headbang::headbang::amen:

Falconetti

cash me outside howbow da
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 1994 SVT COBRA
I read that the shelby gt500 motor was already maxed out, adding more boost was just asking for trouble, can anyone confirm this? Also I guess if making videos about why you like your car makes you happy then, ok, good enough, but reasons why your are not specifically buying the new gt350 that ALL amount to "I'm happy with my car" is silly.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST

A few thoughts. As background, I drove a GT500 as a DD from 2009 through 2014. I owned an '09, an '11 a '13 and a '14.

1. All of the GT500s I owned were great DDs except the '09. That one needed some serious suspension work to handle acceptably. As for streetability, as long as you kept your foot out of it and didn't engage the SC they drove like any other Mustang. But of course, what's the fun in that?

2. That whine along with the accompanying torque rush was pretty electrifying. I do hope the high rev whine of the NA Voodoo will be as intoxicating.

3. Most of your street driving will essentially be straight line driving. It's inescapable, so don't disparage the absolute rush of intense straight line acceleration. You know you're going to do it in the 350. :)

4. Subjective, but yeah. I think the new Mustang looks better.

5. Given the frequency that I've been trading Mustangs in for newer models, It's fair to say that I like the latest and greatest too. :)

6. I expect that the 350 will hold it's value at least as well as the '11 - '14 500s have. In any event the depreciation will be much less than that of a GT.

7. Agreed, but I do think the 500 was more practical than the 350 will be. As an example, the 500 did not have a GG tax and was rated with a higher fuel economy rating than the 350. I typically saw 18 MPG on my daily commute, compared to the 19 MPG I get with my '15 GTPP.

I plan on buying a 350 sometime this year. I already have an MSRP deal worked out with my dealer. That said, now that I've scratched the S550 itch, if the right '11 - '14 GT500 were to show up I'd be hard pressed to pass on it. I kinda miss the HP and torque.

As always, YMMV.

tldr; Dude had some good points that work for him. Not everyone wants the same thing in a car. Don't be butthurt about it.
Sponsored