Sponsored

Serious reservations about the 5.2 now...

Skullbussa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT-R
It seems that Ford is moving to the EcoBoost era and with the power potential of that 3.5 V6 going into the Raptor and GT, it really makes me wonder if the Voodoo is going to be a short-lived stepchild in the new Ford portfolio.

I think it goes without saying that it is very clear that the GT500 will have that 3.5 V6 and that forced induction on the 5.2 is not going to happen.

The tuning potential of that 3.5 V6 is simply mouth-watering and really makes it hard for me to care about the 5.2 other than that delicious sound it makes.
Sponsored

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
There are two ways to look at it. It may or may not not have the tuning potential of the Ecoboost. However potentially having Ford's one and only flatplane V8 in a Shelby sounds like a very rare future car if the other thread about Ford killing the V8 is to be realized.

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
It seems that Ford is moving to the EcoBoost era and with the power potential of that 3.5 V6 going into the Raptor and GT, it really makes me wonder if the Voodoo is going to be a short-lived stepchild in the new Ford portfolio.

I think it goes without saying that it is very clear that the GT500 will have that 3.5 V6 and that forced induction on the 5.2 is not going to happen.

The tuning potential of that 3.5 V6 is simply mouth-watering and really makes it hard for me to care about the 5.2 other than that delicious sound it makes.
I don't know about reservations but, I'm certainly puzzled.

OP
OP

Skullbussa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT-R
There are two ways to look at it. It may or may not not have the tuning potential of the Ecoboost. However potentially having Ford's one and only flatplane V8 in a Shelby sounds like a very rare future car if the other thread about Ford killing the V8 is to be realized.
Randy - I have no doubt. Much as the Z/28 is fitted with the very last of a dying breed (7.0 liter LS7) I am wondering if the GT350 is in the same boat.

I do think the collectability of the 350R is very, very likely.

I am not sure if I believe all the hysteria about Ford ditching V8's, but I do think that the high-performance versions of its cars are all going to be EcoBoost and the V8 will no longer sit at the top of the food chain.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
As long as GHG emissions are spread throughout the range, I think (or hope) there'll still be an allocation for a performance V8. I am surprised the new GT didn't get the glorious sounding FPC 5.2 or even as an optional engine choice which is to be seen.

But then again if they need to choose one model to put it in: I'd rather have thousands of 5.2's in GT350(r/s/?) out in the public than a thousand GT's cooped up in garages.

Sponsored

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
Not sure why you think it's so 'clear' that the GT500 will be powered by a V6. I believe the main reason the FGT has that power plant is because of its implications toward their racing program and the need to fit within the rules for engine displacement. The GT500 does not have to conform to such criteria.

My bet is that the next GT500 still has a V8 (smaller displacement than last-gen) and most likely EcoBoost instead of supercharged (if they can fit the turbo hardware under the hood).

That being said, I will not be surprised if a tamed down version of that V6 engine makes it into the engine bay of some special edition Mustang in the future.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Not sure why you think it's so 'clear' that the GT500 will be powered by a V6. I believe the main reason the FGT has that power plant is because of its implications toward their racing program and the need to fit within the rules for engine displacement. The GT500 does not have to conform to such criteria.

My bet is that the next GT500 still has a V8 (smaller displacement than last-gen) and most likely EcoBoost instead of supercharged (if they can fit the turbo hardware under the hood).

That being said, I will not be surprised if a tamed down version of that V6 engine makes it into the engine bay of some special edition Mustang in the future.
It wouldn't shock me a single bit for a 450HP/525TQ version of that motor +10 speed as the GT motor in 2018 MY.

Poisond281

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing exciting
Is this thread influenced by the falsified "article" claiming Ford will no longer offer V8s?

Viperbluecobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base PP Recaros
I don't fear the V8 will go away soon, but yeah, 10 years from now, maybe.

v8 sells trucks as well. There are just people who refuse to get the 6 cylinder.... at least for a while.

Truck out sells all.

Sponsored

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
The bigger V8's have always been associated with a longer life cycle and just being able to last longer than the smaller v6's and 4 bangers. They were not high revving small engines that had to work harder to give the power and torque required. It would be reasonable to expect a well maintained V8 to provide service well beyond 200k miles. But the expectations for the smaller engines has always been to expect a shorter life cycle before end of life for that motor even with regular maintenance. With the average person hanging onto their cars longer and traveling further with them...its still a good argument to keep the more docile tuned v8's around. But, modern V8's rev higher and perform better producing more HP and torque than ever before. How long will they last is the real question. If they are no better than a V6 now.... then only time will tell.

Last edited:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Personally, I hope Ford follow the German lead and adopt smaller capacity, turbocharged V8s.........a 4-4.5 litre Ecoboost with and easy 475hp and similar torque, mated to the 10-speed auto would be might appealing.

As it is, I still hope we see the Coyote for a good few more years yet, perhaps with DI to see it threw its twilight years, then go for an all new V8.

The problem is, I suspect the F150 pays the bills for the V8. If it's dropped from the truck, it makes it hard to justify for the Mustang.

But, for many, a V8 is a MUST in a Mustang. The Ecoboost 4 and V6 are very capable engines, but the V8 is the heart and soul for me. Lose that, and Mustang might as well go FWD and be called the Probe again :(

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
Do you know why they put a TTV6 in the GT?
Yes its the current trend in formula racing since the Engines have stepped down from V12's then V8's and now V6's. But, I gather it has more to do with Power to weight, and efficiency. Basically a mirror of the trends happening in the consumer markets. But, again just what the life cycle of these engines is in the real world has yet to be seen. Going by what is done in racing... is completely unrealistic since those engines are broken down and rebuilt after every race. So, its quite possible that the thought of owning a traditional petrol based engine for a decade or more of daily duty... just isn't going to happen. We won't know until we actually get there.
Sponsored