Sponsored

Serious Brake Issue

sfcoates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
I'm curious if anyone has had any brake related issues?

If you look at the below pictures you can see my brake issue. I drove the car on a road trip to NC and it rained the whole way there and back. Upon arriving back I parked the car with the e-brake engaged for exactly 1 week (the car was in a garage but was not dry from the rain when it was parked). I decided to take it for a Sunday cruise and when I got in the car and tried to leave the garage it felt like the e-brake was still engaged. I looked down and it was not so I gave it a little more power and the front tires slid roughly 4 inches and broke loose. Not thinking anything about it I drove the car to the end of my street and when I applied the brakes I felt a firm force go against the brake pedal. I immediately stopped the car and got out to take a look at what happened. Turns out on the passenger side (bottom photo) a large chunk of brake pad material had become detached from the pad and was stuck to the rotor. This lump had then run back through the pad and has clearly damaged the pad as it is not cleaning the entire rotor. After further inspection you can clearly see where the pads attached on both the driver and passenger side of the car.

I am currently waiting on the dealer to schedule a time to get it in there shop and take a look at this so it can be replaced. It seems to baffle all the service guys and no one can tell me how to prevent it from happening again other then to drive it. This car is not going to be a daily driver but I have no problem driving it in the rain. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep this from happening?
20160103_153357.jpg
20160103_153635.jpg
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It will go away after after some normal driving. It's brake pad material imprinted onto the rotors.
What's happened is the pads got wet and you had hand brake on. They just stuck to the rotors. That's why it took you some effort to brake them loose.
Next time park without handbrake engaged. Just put the transmission in gear and chock the tires.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Were you really hard on the brakes before you parked it?

OP
OP
sfcoates

sfcoates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Were you really hard on the brakes before you parked it?
Not at all, It was an easy 500 mile round trip to NC but it rained the whole time going and coming back home.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Not at all, It was an easy 500 mile round trip to NC but it rained the whole time going and coming back home.
You will see the same problem after you wash your car but not drive it for a couple of days.

Sponsored

Sammzway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (traded) / 16 Acura MDX
The same thing happened to me after I washed my car and parked in the garage for 2 weeks. After some normal driving, everything was fine and all residue came off the rotors.

I now leave it in gear when I park after a wash. I only use the handbrake when the car is dry.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I see that every so often with cars here at my shop. The rotors develop a small amount of surface rust and the pads stick to them. I wouldn't worry about it but let the dealer check it out anyway. Certainly not a serious issue.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Completely normal. Had it many times, longer the car was left unused, worse it was.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
go on one fast drive on some back roads or do 1 or 2 60-0 stops and it will be all gone.

don't bother the dealer with this.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
^^ What was said above . . .
Looking at the parts charts for the GT350, the parking brake is a drum brake assembly in the center hub of the rear rotors only and should not affect the front rotors like what is shown.
I need to confirm this when I get my car, hopefully today.

Sponsored

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
^^ What was said above . . .
Looking at the parts charts for the GT350, the parking brake is a drum brake assembly in the center hub of the rear rotors only and should not affect the front rotors like what is shown.
I need to confirm this when I get my car, hopefully today.
^^ This ^^

It has nothing to do with the parking brake. The same thing happened to my car after I washed it although it wasn't a severe as you described.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Not a major issue. It fades/wears away evenly after driving.... this does the same on all my cars after washing and parking.

bullittman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350 chassis 0387
YUP, it will go away in a few miles.

OP
OP
sfcoates

sfcoates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update,

Dealer has pulled off both rotors and pads to look at them. The rotor themselves are fine but the pads on the passenger side were missing a "quarter size" piece of brake pad material and had damaged the rest of the pad when it drug trough from braking.

Ford is replacing the pads.