Sponsored

September 2016 Sales Numbers...Mustang. 6,429

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
Chevy is pricing the Camaros to move. Dealer by me.
Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
$11k off MSRP...and it will still blow the doors off of an S550 GT any time anywhere. Ouch! That's a damn good deal for a hell of a performance car.

Braski, what dealership is that? PA isn't too far from me. Honestly, I'd probably buy a 2012-2013 Boss302 before a 6th gen Camaro but that deal is almost too good to be true.

So if these deals are to be believed, it sure looks like Mustang has lost the "it's cheaper to buy" component of the argument. It has now come down to styling and visibility, I guess.

No wonder the sales numbers have flipped.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
$11k off MSRP...and it will still blow the doors off of an S550 GT any time anywhere. Ouch! That's a damn good deal for a hell of a performance car.
With the proper driver. They are still close enough to make it a drivers race under most circumstances. Even in the ¼ mile, a well driven 5.0 can take down an average driven Camaro pretty easily. Stoplight to stoplight it’s even tougher to distinguish.

It is however a deal, no doubt about it.

$Braski, what dealership is that? PA isn't too far from me. Honestly, I'd probably buy a 2012-2013 Boss302 before a 6th gen Camaro but that deal is almost too good to be true.

So if these deals are to be believed, it sure looks like Mustang has lost the "it's cheaper to buy" component of the argument. It has now come down to styling and visibility, I guess.

No wonder the sales numbers have flipped.
And the Camaro lost the…”retains its value” argument. Don’t think for a second that 2017’s are going to be that heavily discounted off the bat. If GM has to discount vehicles to that level just to keep pace with the mustang that is now in the 3rd year, the Camaro is in deep trouble.

Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
It definitely sucks to see the real Camaro fanbase (earlier adopters) getting screwed...

Even in August, the SS was 38k, now the 2SS is 34k...that's about the price of my fully loaded base GT with A-plan!

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
It definitely sucks to see the real Camaro fanbase (earlier adopters) getting screwed...

Even in August, the SS was 38k, now the 2SS is 34k...that's about the price of my fully loaded base GT with A-plan!
If it were me, I would feel like utter dog poo. I can't really wish that upon anyone.

Martman GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Premium
I don't really get why people are making such a big deal about loosing to the Camaro in sales for 1 month by a whopping 150 cars. Chevy had to throw out huge incentives for them to accomplish this and prior to this month, Mustang was nearly 2 to 1 over Camaro. Come on guys, there's nothing to worry about here. Just my .02 here

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
A 35K 2SS Camaro is a way better deal than a GT. But... GM will have to keep pricing in this range for sales to continue at the current pace- and there is no indication that they will do that after the 16's are gone. So, I think Camaro sales will plummet after the incentives on the 16's are gone.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
With the proper driver. They are still close enough to make it a drivers race under most circumstances. Even in the ¼ mile, a well driven 5.0 can take down an average driven Camaro pretty easily. Stoplight to stoplight it’s even tougher to distinguish.

It is however a deal, no doubt about it.

And the Camaro lost the…”retains its value” argument. Don’t think for a second that 2017’s are going to be that heavily discounted off the bat. If GM has to discount vehicles to that level just to keep pace with the mustang that is now in the 3rd year, the Camaro is in deep trouble.
Comparable drivers, it's not really close.
But yeah, a good driver in a Mustang could probably keep up with a so-so driver in a Camaro if they were both sticks.

As for the retained value question, I bet you're right that the 2016s took a hit. Don't forget though that Chevy is aiming less at fleet sales (which helps residual value a lot) and 2017 Camaros are selling closer to MSRP than 2017 Mustangs are so far.

The resale situation probably isn't as dire as it might seem at first glance.

All of these models in this class hold their value pretty well as used cars anyway. I've been keeping an eye on used Scat Pack prices and so far, they're not coming down anywhere near quickly enough.

A 35K 2SS Camaro is a way better deal than a GT. But... GM will have to keep pricing in this range for sales to continue at the current pace- and there is no indication that they will do that after the 16's are gone. So, I think Camaro sales will plummet after the incentives on the 16's are gone.
Agreed...based on a recent article, it sounds like they are examining their price structure.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: a healthy Camaro is good for the Mustang. So let's hope they drop the price if they can.

I like all of the current "muscle car" options a lot...I want them all to sell well so we keep getting new models and steady improvements. :thumbsup:

I don't really get why people are making such a big deal about loosing to the Camaro in sales for 1 month by a whopping 150 cars. Chevy had to throw out huge incentives for them to accomplish this and prior to this month, Mustang was nearly 2 to 1 over Camaro. Come on guys, there's nothing to worry about here. Just my .02 here
Probably because the 5th gen Camaro consistently outsold the Mustang...and we never heard the end of it. It had been nice seeing the Mustang reclaim its rightful spot in the sales chart...so this kinda sucks. It's tempting to qualify the numbers and point to reasons why the Mustang "still shoulda won."

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
It's only a better deal if you can live with the cheesy styling, non existent backseat, putrid trunk space and terrible visibility. The fact that they are only now pacing the mustang means that cost are only a portion of their issue. The car has already been out for a year an they are just now posting these numbers.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
the people who bought it at an almost no discount price are about to get hosed bigtime on resale if you can pick these puppies up for 10k off

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
So a slightly worse driver is comparable to a good driver in a Mustang. That's probably true, so long as the "race" is short enough.
Which is what happens a majority of the time.

As for the retained value question, they probably took a hit. Don't forget though that Chevy is aiming less at fleet sales (which helps residual value a lot) and 2017 Camaros are selling closer to MSRP than 2017 Mustangs are so far.

The resale situation probably isn't as dire as it might seem at first glance.

All of these models in this class hold their value pretty well as used cars anyway. I've been keeping an eye on used Scat Pack prices and so far, they're not coming down anywhere near quickly enough.
Ford has already shown that residuals really don’t matter as long as your product fits the market and is priced right. People don’t generally buy cars for resale value.

Time will tell, but I have a feeling if the discounts continue, the residuals will be no better than the mustang.

I don’t think the camaro is going anywhere….yet. GM can’t possibly discount 2017’s like they are the 2016’s. Time will tell.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
the people who bought it at an almost no discount price are about to get hosed bigtime on resale if you can pick these puppies up for 10k off
can you imagine if you were one of the first who got a 6th gen at sticker..did chevy do adm on the 6th gens when they came out? that would really suck..for them..:lol:

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
From Bloomberg-

With a slowing market for cars, Camaro’s inventory rose to a 139-day supply at the end of August, said Jim Cain, a GM spokesman. The incentives, coming at the end of the 2016 model year, helped lower Camaro supply to 120 days, still twice what is consider an optimum inventory. Mustang supply rose to 89 days at the end of September from 71 days a month earlier.
Sponsored