Seniors: Mods you wouldn't do

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
The only thing surprising in this thread was the hate for tinted windows! I live in Florida and getting the windows tinted is the first thing you do to a car here, even a convertible.
Not really. Plenty of people have issues with night driving and tint makes it worse. I personally don't like tint at least not dark tint because it makes me feel claustrophobic in the car. There is also times tint does not add to a car but cheapens it actually depending on the tint and the darkness it doesn't take much to go from that looks nice to that looks like a drug dealer drives it. Around here anyway the only people who tint up their cars are the 20 something crowd.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Certainly an interesting thread. I'm not a senior but was interested in all your thoughts. Personally I'm not a big fan of dropped Stangs or wheels hiding in their arches either...

One question, most of you seem to hate Louvers. Weren't louvers both on the rear window and the side window part of that classic Mustang look on many of the cars in the late 60s and early 70s? I would have assumed senior might have gone for those.
I think the side ones were but only the painted hard ones on Mustangs. Rear lovers are an 80s thing and they looked like crap back then too :) My mom bought a brand new 1988 IROC Z that had them on the back, first thing we did was remove them they were so tacky.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Fair enough. Some places being
Apart from those who have a narcissistic reason, dark window tinting is something I would want for my wife or daughter on their car. These days it's more of a security issue not exposing a potentially soft target for carjacking or worse.
Point taken :thumbsup: . That probably didn't occur to me because NJ does not permit windshields and front side glass to be tinted . . . not beyond what they accept for OE production anyway. And the sun never gets quite as direct when there's something like another 15 degrees of latitude involved.

Perhaps there's a middle ground where the driver is masked but not totally obscured and where outward visibility for seniors (as in, this thread) isn't compromised to the same extent as with, say, tint approaching limo-level.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I think the side ones were but only the painted hard ones on Mustangs. Rear lovers are an 80s thing and they looked like crap back then too :) My mom bought a brand new 1988 IROC Z that had them on the back, first thing we did was remove them they were so tacky.
The 1969 and 1970 Boss 302 featured rear louvers, at least as an option. Not sure about the Boss 429.

Norm

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
71. I'd like it for an improved ride. This convertible is a cruiser for my use.
I had air shocks in the back of my 70 442.
Car felt like a truck when filled. A very fast truck....until the timing chain snapped.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
did someone say stripes on a senior's car? GT500 stripes was my inspiration.

my_senior_car.jpg
You aren't alone. Went with Velocity Blue super snake style.

Great pic of our 2016 Mustang.jpg

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I had air shocks in the back of my 70 442.
Car felt like a truck when filled. A very fast truck....until the timing chain snapped.
Yup, you're correct. Air SHOCKS are terrible! We have a 2005 Lincoln Town Car with rear air SPRINGS and the ride is smooth. A big advantage is that no matter how little or large the load, the car always rides exactly level.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Sorry but what the heck is poke? I'm 69 so please cut me some slack.
It's when the tire and possibly the wheel "poke" out past the sheetmetal. Wheels and/or the tires on the PP2 poke a bit, as does my "track set".

full.jpg

I'm 72 and don't normally use the term 'poke' myself, nor do I seek out having it. It's just what I ended up with when fitting 11" wide wheels up front even when using up every last bit of available room on the strut side short of putting both the wheel and the tire into the strut. The car does see road course time, so it's a consequence of seeking as much front grip as reasonably possible without getting into tires with very short life spans.

Norm

Last edited:

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I like stripes.
I agree... maybe it's us "Baby Boomers", but I like stripes also.
I was going to buy a Guardsman Blue AC Cobra with white stripes... but decided against it for a multitude of reasons. Bought the Ford Performance Blue with the white stripes because I needed the stripes.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
I agree... maybe it's us "Baby Boomers", but I like stripes also.
I was going to buy a Guardsman Blue AC Cobra with white stripes... but decided against it for a multitude of reasons. Bought the Ford Performance Blue with the white stripes because I needed the stripes.
I like the stripes on all you guys' cars. But not on mine.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
The 1969 and 1970 Boss 302 featured rear louvers, at least as an option. Not sure about the Boss 429.

Norm
I like the rear window/backlight louvers, as you can see on my gone-but-not-forgotten 2013 GT Brembo Coupe:

Mustang2013MtSoledadLRVhighView.jpg

Saleen put them on the Parnelli Jones Edition Mustangs. I disremember whether or not they were on the George Follmer and Dan Gurney versions.

MustangParnelliJonesEditionPetersenParkingStructure.jpg

OK, it seems that was "Follmer, usually,...

MustangfollmerSaleenLRV.jpg

Gurney, not often".

MustangGurneySaleenLRV.jpg

Last edited: