Senior S550 Owners Like Black Wheels?

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Don't feel too bad. If you had taken "Engine Displacement Theory III" in high school, you will recall that virtually every American sourced V8 is rounded up in the displacement number. Sometimes a fraction of a cu/in, other times more. I can't think of any manufacturer ever rounding down. It's the American way ... "If some is good, more is better & too much is just right!!!" :like:
It's funny because the 302 was called 5.0 yet GM had a 301 engine that was correctly labeled as 4.9L. I forgot if it was a Pontiac, Buick or Olds.
Sponsored

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"It's funny because the 302 was called 5.0 yet GM had a 301 engine that was correctly labeled as 4.9L. I forgot if it was a Pontiac, Buick or Olds."
Actually, 4.9L is only 299.02 cu/in so GM was still messin' w/ya. Just an FYI: one liter is 61.0237 cu/in (or simply 61.024). Now you have sumpin' to keep you up to the wee hours of the morning seeing how far off in displacement American V8s really are. :yawn:

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Don't feel too bad. If you had taken "Engine Displacement Theory III" in high school, you will recall that virtually every American sourced V8 is rounded up in the displacement number. Sometimes a fraction of a cu/in, other times more. I can't think of any manufacturer ever rounding down. It's the American way ... "If some is good, more is better & too much is just right!!!" :like:
Or you could round your 2.3-liter engine down...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It's funny because the 302 was called 5.0 yet GM had a 301 engine that was correctly labeled as 4.9L. I forgot if it was a Pontiac, Buick or Olds.
In the late 1970s, a 301 was a Pontiac engine. But before that it was what hotrodders called a 283 SBC that had been bored 1/8" over. Basically the same thing as Chevy's 302 that came later, and for a time a fairly popular mod for Tri-Five Chevvies.

The 5.0 designation itself may have come out of the original Trans-Am racing, which limited the ponycar engine displacement to 5.000 liters. IOW, it was a class-legal limit, which any smart racer would try to get close to without going over . . . and which didn't escape the attention of the factories. Anybody's 4" bore x 3" stroke 301.6 CID engine would meet that criterion.

Besides, from a marketing standpoint, 5.0 has a better ring to it than 4.9 (which sounds like "almost there").

Norm

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Never heard the 301 called 4.9, it was always calle a
In the late 1970s, a 301 was a Pontiac engine. But before that it was what hotrodders called a 283 SBC that had been bored 1/8" over. Basically the same thing as Chevy's 302 that came later, and for a time a fairly popular mod for Tri-Five Chevvies.

The 5.0 designation itself may have come out of the original Trans-Am racing, which limited the ponycar engine displacement to 5.000 liters. IOW, it was a class-legal limit, which any smart racer would try to get close to without going over . . . and which didn't escape the attention of the factories. Anybody's 4" bore x 3" stroke 301.6 CID engine would meet that criterion.

Besides, from a marketing standpoint, 5.0 has a better ring to it than 4.9 (which sounds like "almost there").

Norm
Exactly 283 bumped to 301, spun up fast, motor in a 56, 4 on the floor, 2 X 4 high school hot rod. Often found at the original midnight drags, chrome ave, Miami FL

The Blow Fish shifter bracket, for the Mustang reminds me of the Hurst Competition +

Waiting for the supply chain to catch up demand. I'm sure that will be an improvement.

Sponsored

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Back to the original question, I'm 62 and hate black wheels. Back when I first started driving most cars came with hubcaps, with a few exceptions only people who bought aftermarket wheels had anything else. Underneath those hubcaps was always a plain black steel wheel. To this day whenever I see a car with black wheels it looks like their hubcaps fell off.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Back to the original question, I'm 62 and hate black wheels. Back when I first started driving most cars came with hubcaps, with a few exceptions only people who bought aftermarket wheels had anything else. Underneath those hubcaps was always a plain black steel wheel. To this day whenever I see a car with black wheels it looks like their hubcaps fell off.
This is one thing I like about the rims on the Bullitt. The polished rim, classic 5 spoke and bright lug nuts look great. Not a fan otherwise. I'm trying to save for these this summer. They come in black, gunmetal or silver, all with a bright lip. I'm going to go with the Gunmetal, put PS4 Summer tires on them and put winter tires on the stock rims.

https://carrollshelbywheels.com/product/cs-11

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Black wheels are cheap for the auto makers. I see the black wheels especially on chargers and I think police car.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"Black wheels are cheap for the auto makers. I see the black wheels, especially on Chargers, & I think police car."
Actually, unpainted aluminum wheels are cheaper. They are cast, machined & coated. Whereas black (or any other color) rims must also be painted. The upside to black rims is that they work w/any color car as they 'blend' w/the tires which visually enhances the OA lines of the car. Silver (or any other non-black) wheels are much more noticeable & can either enhance or detract from the OA lines of the car. This is not an automotive theory, but merely how the human eye works. So, rather than spend a bunch of $$$ on an in-house study, manufacturers just thro on black rims & move on. One other upside to black rims is that they do not show brake dust.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I like these, not a black wheel fan, color takes away from the detail of the wheel.

And I don't like bright/chrome on these Mustangs, makes the cars look dated.

DSC_0251.JPG
I would love a set of those but they are very expensive here in Australia.

And totally agree with chrome wheels on Mustang's, and modern cars in general.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OA lines....... and what are OA lines ? Yeah brake dust that's a got-cha, coated or painted, and the difference is just curious ? Black wheels look so much better with rock chips. Where as a bright wheel will mask them.

Got to say that's some line, justifying why folks like black wheels.

Just admitt you like black wheel st

They are on all PP2's standard equitment. Australia you say, I'm currently dismantling and sell off bits of a huge model RR. Have been sending packages to Australia, the shipping time is really something.

Name is Russ works for a real RR, sent me pictures of the land scape. What a beautiful country you live in.

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1

Chrome and silver baby!

IMG_0564 (2).jpg

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"OA lines ... & what are OA lines? Coated or painted ... & the difference is? Got to say that's some line, justifying why folks like black wheels. Just admit that you like black wheels."
OA lines is the car as a whole ... not factoring in things like mirrors, chrome, stripes, etc. Look at the pics in this site. Any Mustang w/black (ebony, dark tarnish, whatever) wheels 'force' you to see the car 1st. Now look at the pics of Mustangs w/silver (or chrome) wheels. The higher the color contrast, the quicker you will see the wheels. This is not an opinion (or 'some line') ... it's just an optical fact. As for 'liking' black wheels, my previous Mustang ('98 GT below) was silver & I opted for silver Cobra rims.

1613076104549.png

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OA lines is the car as a whole ... not factoring in things like mirrors, chrome, stripes, etc. Look at the pics in this site. Any Mustang w/black (ebony, dark tarnish, whatever) wheels 'force' you to see the car 1st. Now look at the pics of Mustangs w/silver (or chrome) wheels. The higher the color contrast, the quicker you will see the wheels. This is not an opinion (or 'some line') ... it's just an optical fact. As for 'liking' black wheels, my previous Mustang ('98 GT below) was silver & I opted for silver Cobra rims.

1613076104549.png
So you don't actually know what OA lines stands for. Just some random gibberish , that only the user thinks has meaning.

Not being a smart ass but come on words mean things .

I will assume OA lines without the ability to attach a definition, is hot air. Used to explain something that does not really exist.

Certainly makes sense to me..
Sponsored