Sponsored

seepage at oil pan/timing cover

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Wow, the weight of this flywheel/clutch jumps everytime someone mentions it. I recall ford saying 38 lbs for the whole setup, but any mass shaved is a faster rev. Also, I'm going with a lighter, full steel flywheel setup as soon as one is available.
edit: and steeda engine mounts soon.
Just tried to find where I saw that number but can't find it so I'm probably over as you suggested. But I did find where the stock flywheel was 30lbs by itself. How much does a clutch setup weigh?
Sponsored

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
I have been trying to find a whole setup to weigh/work on, so if it happens, I'll let you know. or if someone comes out with a lighter flywheel, same...

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I have been trying to find a whole setup to weigh/work on, so if it happens, I'll let you know. or if someone comes out with a lighter flywheel, same...
Someone needs to put one in production. FFTEC got quoted $750 each for a run of 10 last year. They passed BTW. lol

David@FFtec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1992 Eagle Talon, Porsche 944 Turbo
While installing my springs last week, I noticed an oil leak, only 4300 miles. It starts at the right lower corner of the timing cover, and runs along the entire right side of the oil pan gasket. Being a dealer tech myself, I fear taking it back to Ford, seen too many idiots to be willing to take the gamble of leaving my car in somebody else's hands. I'm trying to convince myself that it's justifiable to do pistons & rods if I'm going to take the pan down, just keep digging! Any one else have this same leak?
This is the first time I've heard of a leak in that area. Have you looked closely to find the source? If the leak is coming from the timing cover it's going to be a lot of work to re-seal it. The timing cover needs to be removed before you can remove the oil pan, and the crank pulley needs to be removed before you can remove the timing cover. Removing the front crank pulley isn't too hard, but putting it back together correctly is difficult. There's no keyway on the crank so you need to re-time the engine using special tools. The last time I checked those tools were not available from Ford yet. We made our own way back when we did our first engine build and they work great. Is anyone interested in timing tools? We can make more or rent a set if anyone needs them. Just let me know.

A BSE kit is already available, just give us a call or send me a PM. BTW we also make our own windage tray/crank scraper for the EcoBoost engines that we build in-house.

Yes the flywheel is 30 pounds. I can't recall exactly but the clutch is average weight for a RWD car so prob just under 50 pounds for the entire assembly. The dual mass flywheel is very smooth but the excess weight kills responsiveness in lower gears. I keep checking with various manufacturers and there's no news on a lightweight conversion flywheel yet. Maybe if we all get together and bombard them with email requests they might come out with something sooner? Swapping a flywheel is much easier than eliminating the balance shafts.

Bomicino, since you're a tech just let me know if you have any questions about these engines. I just started assembling another EcoBoost 2.3 engine so I can provide details if you decide to tear your engine apart. Dropping in a set of pistons and rods is a great idea. These engines have low miles so the cylinders and crank journals are still perfect. The only real hurdle is setting up the cam/crank sprocket timing.

Last edited:

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
Looking at the flywheel, is there anyway to machine the extra weight off of it? old bmw's used to be able to do that until the ltw flys got cheap enough.

Sponsored

David@FFtec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Looking at the flywheel, is there anyway to machine the extra weight off of it? old bmw's used to be able to do that until the ltw flys got cheap enough.
Not really, the dual mass mechanism is built into the flywheel so there really isn't any extra material to remove. It's like two flywheels linked to each other with a few springs and friction damper material in between.

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
Yea, the bmw's were on the back side if I remember right could just "take it apart".

OP
OP
Bomicino

Bomicino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 ecoboost
David, are you using keyed cranks for your builds?

David@FFtec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

David@FFtec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Doing pistons and rods through the bottom?
Haha, no. The head must be removed to install pistons. That's why I was talking about re-timing the cam and crank sprockets. Since there's no keyway on the stock crank and no pins on the cam gears, the timing needs to be re-set when they're removed.

Aleksey@HTM

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Just curious how one justifies doing an engine build when replacing a oil pan seal. Pretty good way to convince yourself you need this while you are in there kind of thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bomicino

Bomicino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 ecoboost
That's the approach I'm taking into working on convincing myself.

nanotech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Fastback w/ Performance Package, 6MT
While installing my springs last week, I noticed an oil leak, only 4300 miles. It starts at the right lower corner of the timing cover, and runs along the entire right side of the oil pan gasket. Being a dealer tech myself, I fear taking it back to Ford, seen too many idiots to be willing to take the gamble of leaving my car in somebody else's hands. I'm trying to convince myself that it's justifiable to do pistons & rods if I'm going to take the pan down, just keep digging! Any one else have this same leak?
What's the build date on your car? I'm curious if your engine is from the Valencia plant or is one of the new ones from Cleveland. Does anyone know if the Cleveland-built engines have even started showing up on dealer lots yet?

OP
OP
Bomicino

Bomicino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 ecoboost
Not sure about exact date, but door sticker shows 2/15. I'm going to let it keep seeping and wait a bit until I decide how I'm going to approach this. The chatter about head restrictions isn't sitting well with me if that on top of a rotating assy. Is necessary to reliably get over 400/400. I don't want to wish destruction for anyone, but I want to see a stock long block upgraded turbo car with a clean tune get pushed to failure. Since fftec is build short block, and it looks like map is going to put a ported head on theirs, who's going to truly find out the hard way? Not me, I'll hold off until someone else does. Good luck everyone, it's cool being here from the beginning on a new platform, things are luckily moving fast.
Sponsored