seepage at oil pan/timing cover

Bomicino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 ecoboost
While installing my springs last week, I noticed an oil leak, only 4300 miles. It starts at the right lower corner of the timing cover, and runs along the entire right side of the oil pan gasket. Being a dealer tech myself, I fear taking it back to Ford, seen too many idiots to be willing to take the gamble of leaving my car in somebody else's hands. I'm trying to convince myself that it's justifiable to do pistons & rods if I'm going to take the pan down, just keep digging! Any one else have this same leak?
Sponsored

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
While installing my springs last week, I noticed an oil leak, only 4300 miles. It starts at the right lower corner of the timing cover, and runs along the entire right side of the oil pan gasket. Being a dealer tech myself, I fear taking it back to Ford, seen too many idiots to be willing to take the gamble of leaving my car in somebody else's hands. I'm trying to convince myself that it's justifiable to do pistons & rods if I'm going to take the pan down, just keep digging! Any one else have this same leak?
First I've heard of it. While you have the pan off BS delete is a consideration worth making. I bet you'd get about an extra liter of capacity from that.

OP
OP
Bomicino

Bomicino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 ecoboost
I agree, waiting on Adam @MAP to release one. I remember he said it was in the works. I did one in 08 on my speed3 and that thing lost at least 20 pounds and took 7.5 quarts afterwards.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I agree, waiting on Adam @MAP to release one. I remember he said it was in the works. I did one in 08 on my speed3 and that thing lost at least 20 pounds and took 7.5 quarts afterwards.
You can hit up FFTEC now if you want, they have one. I think the Ecoboost one is made of aluminum so not the same weight loss, but still not light.

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
You can hit up FFTEC now if you want, they have one. I think the Ecoboost one is made of aluminum so not the same weight loss, but still not light.
The frame is aluminum, but the shafts are (maybe forged) steel. I am also waiting for map to release theirs. Seen plenty of benefits from removing, especially because I track it.

On the seepage note, do you have a catch can or anything modded on your car? I know BMW turbos with some cheap aftermarket PCV mods will blow out seals all over the engine.

Sponsored

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
First I've heard of it. While you have the pan off BS delete is a consideration worth making. I bet you'd get about an extra liter of capacity from that.
What is BS delete?

OP
OP
Bomicino

Bomicino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 ecoboost
No PCV mods. Thanks for the heads up on FFTEC. One less thing that the engine needs to spin plus the added capacity, no brainer to me. Sliiiiight increase in vibes were felt in the Speed, if thats the same on this car, seems worth the effort if already dropping the pan.

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
Less moving parts to fail, more oil capacity, less mass to rotate, so the engine spins up faster and doesn't waste as much energy. I've always had more of a racecar dd, so this is honestly the most comfortable car I've owned.

Sponsored

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
What are any downsides/consequences when deleting the balance shaft? Besides warranty of course.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Less moving parts to fail, more oil capacity, less mass to rotate, so the engine spins up faster and doesn't waste as much energy. I've always had more of a racecar dd, so this is honestly the most comfortable car I've owned.
I wouldn't count on the engine spinning up much faster in the EB, at least with the manual transmission due to the 50 lbs clutch/flywheel. But the increase in oil capacity is nice, plus there should be a little bump in power with lower rotating losses.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
What are any downsides/consequences when deleting the balance shaft? Besides warranty of course.
Possible increase in NVH. Talking with the guys at FFTEC though they didn't notice any. The EB has vacuum assisted motor mounts that do a good job of soaking up vibration.

OP
OP
Bomicino

Bomicino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 ecoboost
So on that topic, any scoop up the steeda mounts?

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
I wouldn't count on the engine spinning up much faster in the EB, at least with the manual transmission due to the 50 lbs clutch/flywheel. But the increase in oil capacity is nice, plus there should be a little bump in power with lower rotating losses.
Wow, the weight of this flywheel/clutch jumps everytime someone mentions it. I recall ford saying 38 lbs for the whole setup, but any mass shaved is a faster rev. Also, I'm going with a lighter, full steel flywheel setup as soon as one is available.
edit: and steeda engine mounts soon.
Sponsored