Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
I had my car at the dealer to have the Roush supercharger and max cooling kit installed (more here). Long story short, the body shop they sent it to apparently scratched the fender when cutting and installing the fender vents. They repainted it and had new ppf put on but there are some issues with that which I already discussed with the dealer. I drove the car for the first time in daylight since I picked it up and immediately noticed the paint on the fender is off. It looks much darker then the door and hood. I tired taking a photo, think it shows up even on here.
PXL_20220111_214923335.jpg

My question though, for anyone who may have experience in repairing bodywork, is about the "scratch". I was looking on the inside of the fender and noticed this black material around one side of the vent. Its flat and rough, about the same size and shape as the vent, and only on the fender that was repainted. My immediate thought was could it be some sort of patch? Could this "scratch" really be that they cut the hole in the wrong place, realized this and had to repair it.
Drivers side:
PXL_20220114_003642528.jpg

Passenger side:
PXL_20220114_004623795.jpg
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Please bear in mind that A) I'm not a bodywork man, B) its easy to find flaws on these cars straight from the factor and C) I normally don't negatively comment or critique stuff I see on here :like:

But, as it looks like you are looking for stuff to go back to the dealer and / or body shop with, here's what I can see :
  • Based on that picture, I would agree with you on the colour. These things can be funny though and you will have to take a view on what your naked eye sees, from multiple angles and in different lighting. You will have to make a decision on if it warrants a second (potentially the same or worse) attempt.
  • If you are going to speak to the body shop, ask them to check this area as the bright colours are so unforgiving around the body lines :
1642149911219.png

• Did they also redo the rocker decal ? It might be an optical illusion but when compared to the body lines above and below it, it appears to be running downhill towards the front of the car (might just be the angle of the photo, but I have also seen some Shelby's that have got the rocker decals really wrong) :
1642150111433.png

• I don't know what's gone on with the fender hole or how they have fixed it, but there are clear differences from one side to the other. Check out the distance from the flange on the end of the vent to the cut out in the fender from one side to the other (red detail) :
1642150709942.png

• Also on with the side with the larger cut out, does the mounting pin (green circle) look messed up (maybe even partially missing) compared to the other 'good' side ?
Please don't take my comments negatively - as I said, I only pointed them out to help you with any future discussions you may have with the dealer and / or body shop :like:

Hope you get it all sorted out to your satisfaction :like:

WD :like:

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
Please bear in mind that A) I'm not a bodywork man, B) its easy to find flaws on these cars straight from the factor and C) I normally don't negatively comment or critique stuff I see on here :like:

But, as it looks like you are looking for stuff to go back to the dealer and / or body shop with, here's what I can see :
  • Based on that picture, I would agree with you on the colour. These things can be funny though and you will have to take a view on what your naked eye sees, from multiple angles and in different lighting. You will have to make a decision on if it warrants a second (potentially the same or worse) attempt.
  • If you are going to speak to the body shop, ask them to check this area as the bright colours are so unforgiving around the body lines :
1642149911219.png

• Did they also redo the rocker decal ? It might be an optical illusion but when compared to the body lines above and below it, it appears to be running downhill towards the front of the car (might just be the angle of the photo, but I have also seen some Shelby's that have got the rocker decals really wrong) :
1642150111433.png

• I don't know what's gone on with the fender hole or how they have fixed it, but there are clear differences from one side to the other. Check out the distance from the flange on the end of the vent to the cut out in the fender from one side to the other (red detail) :
1642150709942.png

• Also on with the side with the larger cut out, does the mounting pin (green circle) look messed up (maybe even partially missing) compared to the other 'good' side ?
Please don't take my comments negatively - as I said, I only pointed them out to help you with any future discussions you may have with the dealer and / or body shop :like:

The GT/PP side stripe is definitely off. Good spotting and if they couldn’t match the original colour close to exact, they should have blended the panels to make it look less obvious.

OP
OP
Mr. Met

Mr. Met

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)

1642149911219.png

1642150111433.png

1642150709942.png

I appreciate any and all comments/thoughts that may help me understand what I am looking at.

I know all to well the issues these cars can have from the factory. Mine came with a hole in the trunk and the bumper needed to be repainted twice. Quality is job #1 my ass.

The bumper was repainted when I was using a different dealer so different body shop, but it came out as good as can be expected. Given that, I know it can be done right, and the fact it looks really bad to me, at least in person (even other people have commented the fender looks off) I am definitely going to complain about it. As far as I'm concerned, they can keep redoing till the get it right or let me take it to a better body shop.

They did also replace the part of the decal on the fender when they repainted it. I did notice it seem crooked, but they put it under the pff and messed up the ppf so at a minimum they already said they are going to fix all that.

As far as the pin, I hadn't noticed that but it does seem different. I have photos that show them better. I'm thinking they might just be there for alignment purposes. On the good side it doesn't seem to be holding anything together. Each side has six nuts holding it on. I just looked at the installation instructions from Roush and they dont seem to mention them.
Drivers
PXL_20220114_003624713.jpg

Passenger
PXL_20220114_004629928.jpg

That's not the end of the cutout, at least not anymore. That black materiel you see there (blue box) is not part of the kit and roughly corresponds to the blue box on the out side.
2.jpg

As you can see its not on the passenger side
3.jpg

There is a small gap between the open part of the vent and the frame. I think if you look at this area it makes it more clear. As you can see on the left, its the orange fender that's sandwiched in between, but on the right its that black material.
4.jpg

I'm hoping someone might be able to identify that material. they must of put it there for some reason. and it makes me wonder if its some sort of patch or something to cover a mistake they made.

Last edited:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
On another note and in my opinion, if I was ever to see a car that would benefit from black 5.0's and wheel pony's, this has got to be it ... :sunglasses:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mr. Met

Mr. Met

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
On another note and in my opinion, if I was ever to see a car that would benefit from black 5.0's and wheel pony's, this has got to be it ... :sunglasses:

I was going to change the 5.0 to black and the front pony and rear gt to orange. I then changed
the taillights to the clear ones and thought it would look better to stick with the silver/chrome in the back. I know its controversial but I have always liked the faux gas cap so I went with the one off the euro car. I have waited to do the 5.0 because I'm not sure how good it will look with the rest of the badges still the same color.
0413212316b.jpg

Lunchabull

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Roush 2650
Have you noticed a difference in IAT temps with the new cooling package installed, I'm getting mine installed shortly. Hoping it helps with the heat.

OP
OP
Mr. Met

Mr. Met

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
Have you noticed a difference in IAT temps with the new cooling package installed, I'm getting mine installed shortly. Hoping it helps with the heat.
IAT temps are at ambient, butI assume you mean iat2? I had it installed at the same time as the supercharger so I couldn't really compare it. I will be heading to the track in March and I will post some numbers.
Sponsored