Sponsored

Science is now cancelled? [USERS NOW BANNED FOR POLITICS]

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Everyone has a right to be a deliberately dumb asshole in this country, whether it kills them or others in the process.

Fact - look it up.
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Well of course, children under 12 are not yet approved to get any of these vaccines. The US is at over 70% of adults with one dose. There are still large populations of "unwilling to get vaccinated" in all countries.
It is possible (and I use the term cautiously) that the UK has reached a level where virus spread is now largely restricted by host availability. I am not using the term herd immunity because it is not the correct term. With as many as 90% of adults having had their first dose in some parts together with naturally infected people it is looking good. Obviously some cities and certain ethnic groups have lower vaccine penetration and concomitant higher case numbers, particularly the NE cities in the UK but cases are now falling for the first time without restrictions being applied. I believe this is the first country to show this as although Israel had good initial vaccine rates the delta strain has caused them some problems.

Importantly, and relevant to the US states with low vaccination rates, most hospitalisations and deaths are occurring where vaccine rates are lowest. No surprise, but shows how national figures for vaccine percentage can be a little misleading at a local level.

Let's hope there isn't a vaccine escape strain any time soon !

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
It is possible (and I use the term cautiously) that the UK has reached a level where virus spread is now largely restricted by host availability. I am not using the term herd immunity because it is not the correct term. With as many as 90% of adults having had their first dose in some parts together with naturally infected people it is looking good. Obviously some cities and certain ethnic groups have lower vaccine penetration and concomitant higher case numbers, particularly the NE cities in the UK but cases are now falling for the first time without restrictions being applied. I believe this is the first country to show this as although Israel had good initial vaccine rates the delta strain has caused them some problems.

Importantly, and relevant to the US states with low vaccination rates, most hospitalisations and deaths are occurring where vaccine rates are lowest. No surprise, but shows how national figures for vaccine percentage can be a little misleading at a local level.

Yep it looks like the UK's latest wave peaked a few days ago. US seems to be weeks behind so we will be going up for a few more weeks.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Have you seen any data emerge relating to the current line-up of vaccines and their efficacy against the Delta strain?

While I’m asking questions of someone who seems to have a firm grasp of the situation, what does the data show for single-dose efficacy against ANY of the strains?Eg. Those who haven’t had time to get the second shot.

And finally, what is the health advice in the UK surrounding vaccines for those who’ve already been infected? Is there any data to suggest that it’s a good idea to vaccinate after a certain amount of time has lapsed since the original infection? My apologies for my ignorance, but curious minds ask questions and I’m sure google could give me a slew of answers that may or may not be consistent with reality.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not accurate. That is calculated by deaths/diagnosed cases. Actual cases are many multiples of the denominator.
CASE fatality rate (CFR) is quite clearly stated as the data-set being reported.
It’s literally based on the numbers that are recorded.
You don’t get to invent numbers for this one.

If you want to discuss the INFECTION fatality rate (IFR) that’s something entirely different.

Feel free to disagree all you want, but these are the definitions that people in the field use.

Don’t get me wrong, the IFR is certainly worth discussing, but that’s NOT what that chart was reporting.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Have you seen any data emerge relating to the current line-up of vaccines and their efficacy against the Delta strain?

While I’m asking questions of someone who seems to have a firm grasp of the situation, what does the data show for single-dose efficacy against ANY of the strains?Eg. Those who haven’t had time to get the second shot.

And finally, what is the health advice in the UK surrounding vaccines for those who’ve already been infected? Is there any data to suggest that it’s a good idea to vaccinate after a certain amount of time has lapsed since the original infection? My apologies for my ignorance, but curious minds ask questions and I’m sure google could give me a slew of answers that may or may not be consistent with reality.
So the last question is probably the most subjective and complicated, but certainly initial suggestions are that a first dose of vaccine acts in a similar way to the second dose in people that have previously had COVID, but the time post infection is important. There is good evidence that a longer gap between first and second dose is beneficial, but there comes a point where the gap is too long to generate the required anamnestic response. The main problem is the natural infection has unpredictable effects on the immune system compared to the vaccine, so you don't quite know what you are 'boosting' in effect. So current UK advice is to get both doses even if you have previously had the infection.

Vaccine efficacy against the 'delta' strain are very good. Even the so called 'higher risk' 'beta' strain is not far behind.

Vaccines highly effective against hospitalisation from Delta variant - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines against hospital admission with the Delta variant - Public library - PHE national - Knowledge Hub (khub.net)

Single doses (assuming it is not the single dose vaccine of course) are around 17% less effective. It is also really important to understand what 'effective' means. Effective in keeping people out of hospital and reducing the risk of death substantially. It doesn't mean preventing spread (although it does have beneficial effects on this as explained a few pages back) so unvaccinated people are still at risk even in a largely vaccinated population. This is different to some diseases where vaccinated populations can protect the unvaccinated by making disease spread so difficult.

I can only really comment on vaccines available here from personal experience but there are suggestions that some vaccines not used in Europe or the US are much less effective, especially against the 'beta' strain.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Yep it looks like the UK's latest wave peaked a few days ago. US seems to be weeks behind so we will be going up for a few more weeks.
In addition the US is so big that taking national figures is very risky. Some states in the US have dreadfully low vaccination rates and when 'delta' strain gets a hold as it is doing, it will be catastrophic in those areas. It is hugely more transmissible than the previous 'alpha' or 'Kent' strain. In the UK we went from a mix of strains to 99%'delta' in a few weeks - it has completely dominated all the other strains (99%). In some states the worst is yet to come.

Incidentally the UK will most likely have a smaller 'final' wave in the winter as there will still be sufficient unvaccinated people to sustain it (together with children). This all assumes there is not a vaccine escape variant which potentially puts us back a step or two! This is why the whole world vaccine roll out is so important.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So the last question is probably the most subjective and complicated, but certainly initial suggestions are that a first dose of vaccine acts in a similar way to the second dose in people that have previously had COVID, but the time post infection is important. There is good evidence that a longer gap between first and second dose is beneficial, but there comes a point where the gap is too long to generate the required anamnestic response. The main problem is the natural infection has unpredictable effects on the immune system compared to the vaccine, so you don't quite know what you are 'boosting' in effect. So current UK advice is to get both doses even if you have previously had the infection.

Vaccine efficacy against the 'delta' strain are very good. Even the so called 'higher risk' 'beta' strain is not far behind.

Vaccines highly effective against hospitalisation from Delta variant - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines against hospital admission with the Delta variant - Public library - PHE national - Knowledge Hub (khub.net)

Single doses (assuming it is not the single dose vaccine of course) are around 17% less effective. It is also really important to understand what 'effective' means. Effective in keeping people out of hospital and reducing the risk of death substantially. It doesn't mean preventing spread (although it does have beneficial effects on this as explained a few pages back) so unvaccinated people are still at risk even in a largely vaccinated population. This is different to some diseases where vaccinated populations can protect the unvaccinated by making disease spread so difficult.

I can only really comment on vaccines available here from personal experience but there are suggestions that some vaccines not used in Europe or the US are much less effective, especially against the 'beta' strain.
Thanks for the well reasoned response. Much appreciated.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
CASE fatality rate (CFR) is quite clearly stated as the data-set being reported.
It’s literally based on the numbers that are recorded.
You don’t get to invent numbers for this one.

If you want to discuss the INFECTION fatality rate (IFR) that’s something entirely different.

Feel free to disagree all you want, but these are the definitions that people in the field use.

Don’t get me wrong, the IFR is certainly worth discussing, but that’s NOT what that chart was reporting.
That was my point. CFR is not close to the IFR - it never is, especially for a new disease. IFR is the reality. Based on CDC estimates, we are over 120 million infections in the US. Which gives an IFR of about 0.5%

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/burden.html

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
In addition the US is so big that taking national figures is very risky. Some states in the US have dreadfully low vaccination rates and when 'delta' strain gets a hold as it is doing, it will be catastrophic in those areas. It is hugely more transmissible than the previous 'alpha' or 'Kent' strain. In the UK we went from a mix of strains to 99%'delta' in a few weeks - it has completely dominated all the other strains (99%). In some states the worst is yet to come.

Incidentally the UK will most likely have a smaller 'final' wave in the winter as there will still be sufficient unvaccinated people to sustain it (together with children). This all assumes there is not a vaccine escape variant which potentially puts us back a step or two! This is why the whole world vaccine roll out is so important.
You can't even look at the state level. It really comes down to county - and likely the same in every country. Rural, low population density counties have much lower vaccination rates - even in Northern states that overall have higher vaccination.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
You can't even look at the state level. It really comes down to county - and likely the same in every country. Rural, low population density counties have much lower vaccination rates - even in Northern states that overall have higher vaccination.
Agree. Interestingly the opposite is true in the UK where rural communities have the highest vaccination rates and inner cities the lowest, especially where certain ethnic groups form the majority of the residents. Education and demonstration of data / personal experiences of the devastating effects of COVID are helping to drive up vaccination rates.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Just got an announcement from my organization...we are tightening back up on our Covid precautions. In-person meetings rescheduled to virtual, symptom checks in clinics, no companions allowed (patients only), etc., etc.

Almost 100% of our hospitalizations are of the unvaccinated.

So much of our medical resources are going to treating Covid patients tit is causing other patient care to suffer. Things like blood pressure control, cancer screening, routine wellness visits, surgeries, population-based care (like diabetics or heart care patients), primary and secondary prevention, etc. Not to mention that patients are wary of seeking out care for fear of Covid - our rates of heart attacks and stroke have dropped significantly. People are still having them, but they are less likely to seek treatment now. When they do present, we are seeing more severe cases (when they don't outright die). Uptick in advanced cancers too.

The system is most likely going to be crushed in the coming years with increases in heart disease, cancers, diabetes, chronic conditions, etc. from all the missed opportunities and lack of adequate care during the pandemic.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
personal experiences of the devastating effects of COVID are helping to drive up vaccination rates.
This is miss-information. I know 30 people who have had the covid. None had symptoms worse than a mild cold.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So much of our medical resources are going to treating Covid patients tit is causing other patient care to suffer.
well then by GOD starting handing out Ivermectin like tic-tacs and deploy i-mask+ so as to keep them from having to darken your GD door! If you refuse to believe what your fellow USA doctors have put together, run your own damn trial and see if it bears out as claimed. If not, then CNN will beat a path to your door to discredit the rabble that dares to oppose Fraud-Ci.

Millions of people are alive today because of Ivermectin. And HCQ and friends.

What do you want to bet your customers would gladly take a $5 pill of known safe meds to have even just a 50/50 chance to stay out of the hospital or worse?

Last edited:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
This is miss-information. I know 30 people who have had the covid. None had symptoms worse than a mild cold.
Well done - your study of 13 people. As you would know if you had even partially understood a small part of what has been discussed on here the hospitalisation rate is really quite low in those under 50 and rises to as much as 1 in 5 for over 80's.

THIS IS NOT MISINFORMATION - it is you that is constantly trying to spread that suggesting all is well and it is only a cold. If it is as you say why are so many people in hospital ?
Sponsored