Sponsored

Sayings you've heard (Extra credit to outside of US)

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I was thinking about this the other day, and I suppose I like to collect and re-use sayings I've heard before. I especially like to hear ones from outside the country. So that we can understand, do your best to explain it in common English as well. I'll go first:

"If you build a better box, they will build a better idiot"

I do a lot of work with computers and it is something myself and a lot of other programmers say. Meaning that if you try to imagine the most-ignorant thing someone can do, and try and prevent it from happening, someone else will think of something even more ignorant than that.

I did QA for a while and was testing a prototype board for a SCSI manufacturer - they only had a handful of these prototypes. Purposely using it wrong, I attached power to the external power supply jack, and the internal power supply jack at the same time. (It was an external or internal device). I "Let the smoke out" (e.g. fried the board) and the manufacturer was initially infuriated. A few days later they called and thanked me because their power supply section was quite vulnerable and they probably would have had to recall them if they went into production. Man, I miss breaking things for a living, that was fun.

Anyways, what other sayings do you have? I know a lot more, but I didn't want to steal them all!
Sponsored

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Instead of "let's run it up the flag pole" try "let's throw it in bed with Madonna and see if sleeps with it". Of you're getting ready to leave, 1) let's make like a baby and head out, let's make like a condom and the f*#k outta here. Doing something quickly, "off like a prom dress" Can't find something, "if was up your ass you'd know where it was"

That enough to get you started?

OP
OP
CrashOverride

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
"Off like a prom dress" was one of my former bosses favorites. Great guy, he had tons of great ones. He also liked to use "That will go over like a turd in a punch bowl!"

I once was test driving a car and politely asked the seller if "I could get on it" and he obviously didn't have the same definition that I did as he was in shock/horror. (My definition: To jump on the throttle), I'll leave his to be inferred :)

A friend from Texas introduced me to "Rode hard and put back wet" which he described to mean riding a horse hard or otherwise making the horse work hard (Pulling something for example) and then not really taking good care of it afterwards. E.g., in our vernacular, going WOT on a turbocharged car, and then immediately turning it off (Early turbo cars would coke the bearings if you pulled a stunt like that).

"Throw it against the wall and see what sticks"
"Over the moon" - Friend who worked in Liverpool told me that one. Equivalent to our "Stoked" or "Very excited" use
"Going balls out" - saw Jay leno explain it on my favorite TV program "Modern Marvels" meant to run the engine at redline. The old steam engines had a governor with two balls that would spin out on centripetal force, bleeding off gas pressure, slowing the steam engine down.

"It is what it is" - A phrase I hear about 100 times a day. What can I say, if you have a job, you've heard it.

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Here's a couple from my dear, departed Dad:

If I ever said "I wish" he would reply "Wish in 1 hand, shit in the other and see which fills up quicker".

And my personal favorite:
" No one is useless, you can always be held up as a bad example."

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
From

If I ever said "I wish" he would reply "Wish in 1 hand, shit in the other and see which fills up quicker".

Very familiar with the first one. From my boys: "if he dies, he dies" Rocky IV any time anyome is doing something questionable. "Must be nice" and "We'd love to see that" and "Calc'd"

When we have to fly a project with the drone, "if it's blowin we ain't goin". Do with that one what you will

Sponsored

OP
OP
CrashOverride

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

I've heard the first one before, but not in a long time. It's great advice, something that I myself probably need to work on.

From a colleague: "That works about as good as a screen door on a submarine"

One of my fathers sayings when my siblings were whining about something "I'll take some cheese with that whine[sic]"

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Saw 2 guy2 holding signs at an intersection. 1st one "spread some cheeze on this cracker" other guy's sign " broke as f*#k" just about died laughing.

Love the screen door on a submarine.

Deez Nutz is still pretty popular.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

jasduke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package PP-3
If it's got tits or tires, it's going to leave you standing at some point.

OP
OP
CrashOverride

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If it's got tits or tires, it's going to leave you standing at some point.
I think that sums up Country Music. And I'm no knocking it, I listen to it quite a bit.

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Courtesy of a former coworker from West Virginny when referring to a female with a nice booty...

“Look at the shitter on that critter!”

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
aye, bolt ya rocket! A very Scottish saying meaning, Please leave me alone, you are a very daft person.

totally glaikit - used to describe someone that has a very blank / confused / stunned look on their face

OP
OP
CrashOverride

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
+1 Thank you! glakit (Would that be pronounced glay-kit or gli-kit?). I fully intent to incorporate those into my saying stockpile.

My previous co-worker from Liverpool told me about "minging" (I'm probably spelling it wrong) but I use that term from time to time.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
+1 Thank you! glakit (Would that be pronounced glay-kit or gli-kit?). I fully intent to incorporate those into my saying stockpile.

My previous co-worker from Liverpool told me about "minging" (I'm probably spelling it wrong) but I use that term from time to time.
glay-kit is the way to say it but no pause / gap in it so say it as - glaykit :like:

"minging" - yep thats it.
It's pure minging out there - I say old chap, the weather outside is outside!
You're minging - You smell bad, really bad!
Sponsored