Sponsored

Safe power washer PSI

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
What is an “acceptable” psi power washer safe for cars/paint? I was looking at the Griots garage one, but 2200 psi seems pretty powerful to use on cars.
Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I use a 3000 psi gas powered unit, but I use the "Delicate" nozzle when washing cars. No issues at all with any pressure washer related damage.

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I use a 3000 psi gas powered unit, but I use the "Delicate" nozzle when washing cars. No issues at all with any pressure washer related damage.
What is the delicate nozzle? The one I’m looking at just ya different degree spray nozzles

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
It’s not so much the PSI but the nozzle you use. I have a Sun Joe SPX3000 Electric Pressure Washer, 2030 PSI Max. It comes with four nozzles from 40 degrees to 0 degrees. Use the 25 or 40 for your car and you’ll be safe. The 15 could be a problem and the 0 can remove paint.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

Like my Sunjoe.....2030 psi is adequate, but higher GPM would be nice. Takes so long to rinse, I've started pre-washing with the Sunjoe, and rinsing with the garden hose. Also, soap dispenser doesn't work with any of the pressure nozzles installed. I get soapy water with no nozzle, but install the nozzle and the soap disappears.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Like my Sunjoe.....2030 psi is adequate, but higher GPM would be nice. Takes so long to rinse, I've started pre-washing with the Sunjoe, and rinsing with the garden hose. Also, soap dispenser doesn't work with any of the pressure nozzles installed. I get soapy water with no nozzle, but install the nozzle and the soap disappears.
I saw they have a new one now, 2800 psi called the Max. I use a foam cannon that I bought on Amazon. Works perfectly.
https://www.amazon.com/DUSICHIN-SFL...non&qid=1575240370&sprefix=Foa,aps,165&sr=8-4

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
What is the delicate nozzle? The one I’m looking at just ya different degree spray nozzles

I would suppose that the delicate nozzle is comparable to the largest fan angle. I also like to use the pressure washer because it's output GPM is low. I need that for the DI resin filter that I do a final rinse with. The DI resin filter output is 0 TDS (total dissolved solids) so it leaves the car spot free without having to use a chamois to dry the car.

I really recommend a pressure washer to knock off the dirt, so that you aren't rubbing that grit on the paint while using a mitt and causing swirls. Makes a big difference on dark colors, especially black ones.

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I would suppose that the delicate nozzle is comparable to the largest fan angle. I also like to use the pressure washer because it's output GPM is low. I need that for the DI resin filter that I do a final rinse with. The DI resin filter output is 0 TDS (total dissolved solids) so it leaves the car spot free without having to use a chamois to dry the car.

I really recommend a pressure washer to knock off the dirt, so that you aren't rubbing that grit on the paint while using a mitt and causing swirls. Makes a big difference on dark colors, especially black ones.
my process is power wash dirt off, foam cannon and let it do it’s thing, and rinse. Usually don’t need a mitt as I was weekly/ rinse 2x a week so usually nothing heavy

Boostamoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' GT
Anything above 1.1 to 1.2k is more than enough to blast dirt/dust/pollen off the surface of a car.
It's more about the gallons/min when it comes to car washing. The more gallons your Pwasher moves the faster you can clean and rinse the car. A 40 degree fan nozzle is preferred with around a 3.0 orifice. That will give you a decent amount of flow without robbing too much pressure.

The biggest thing I can say is make sure whatever pressure washer you use be sure that nozzle is secure. I remember seeing a post of a forum member who went to blast his car down, and the wand shot that nozzle straight into his rear quarter window almost shattering it.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Anything above 1.1 to 1.2k is more than enough to blast dirt/dust/pollen off the surface of a car.
It's more about the gallons/min when it comes to car washing. The more gallons your Pwasher moves the faster you can clean and rinse the car. A 40 degree fan nozzle is preferred with around a 3.0 orifice. That will give you a decent amount of glow without robbing too much pressure.

The biggest thing I can say is make sure whatever pressure washer you use be sure that nozzle is secure. I remember seeing a post of a forum member who went to blast his car down, and the wand shot that nozzle straight into his rear quarter window almost shattering it.
Always give it a little test spray towards the ground

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Order a set of 4.0 GPM nozzles off Amazon to increase flow and lower tip pressure. I went from using a gas 3300 psi to an electric 2200 psi with 4.0 nozzles and it works much better. I've taken paint off the forks of one of my bikes before using the gas PW with the 3.0 nozzles that come with it, take my advice and don't risk it.

Last edited:

Boostamoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' GT
Order a set of 4.0 GPM nozzles off Amazon to increase flow and lower tip pressure. I went from using a gas 3300 psi to an electric 2200 psi with 4.0 nozzles and it works much better. I've taken paint off the forks of one of my bikes before using the gas PW with the 3.0 nozzles that come with it, take my advice and don't risk it.
Exactly this
If you're going gas definitely get a much larger orifice tip around 5 or 6 even. If you're getting a sunjoe or the griot electric then 3.0 to 4.0 will be better.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Lol! Be careful, a couple years ago a friend of mine decided to use a pressure washer on his 911 blew chunks of paint off the car.....he laughs about today but he sure was pissed back then.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Lol! Be careful, a couple years ago a friend of mine decided to use a pressure washer on his 911 blew chunks of paint off the car.....he laughs about today but he sure was pissed back then.
That was solely a RTFM problem.
Sponsored