Got my first ever 'muffler' ticket haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
My axle backs are 50 state legal. Which means California legal, which translate to it’s a noise tax .... so that tickets is
1f4af.png
% bogus. I ain't gonna pay one goddamn red cent. Well, we don't have cents in Canada anymore so I ain't gonna pay one goddamn nickel.
So you're saying you're not going to be dishing out any loonies or twonies for it?
Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I accused you of free-basing maple syrup with beavers and moose (meese?). That should show you how much I'm taking any of this seriously. Beavers take their syrup intravenously.
It's Mooses, eh!

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
A Mustang sounding "loud and annoying"? Nope.

Now, I've heard Harleys on the other hand that are down right obnoxious. So how is it that a bike can rumble louder than any car or truck and is NEVER cited for a noise violation?
That‘s a really good question and one that I’ve wondered about for the 55+ years I’ve been riding Harleys, all with straight pipes. I’ve never once been ticketed or even warned when stopped for something else. All I can come up with is this:

1. Regardless of actual production content Harley is an iconic American brand and cops like that. I think that a similarly loud ricer wouldn’t fare so well.

2. Most motor patrolmen still ride Harleys and are respected by the guys in cruisers. Plus, I’ve heard many cop Harleys with the baffles knocked out. It’s the only way to get ‘em to run half-ass right.

3. Most smart Harley riders are cop aware and will lug the motor in a higher gear when a cop is nearby. Cuts down a lot of noise.

4. Over the years Harley riders have learned not to hoss the bike around when cops are present and to not look like a scumball when they’re riding. Cops seem to appreciate that.

5. Most Harley riders are cruisers anyway while rice jockeys are well, you know…

Just educated guesses on my part.

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
The cops here randomly shut down a few lanes of traffic on cruise night, and funnel everyone into a single lane. When I came up to them they asked me to rev my engine.. I knew right away the noise tax was a comin.
Very interesting. Also doesn’t sound entirely legal to me. The only way dui checkpoints are deemed legal because they claim the inconvenience to motorists outweighs the safety to the community. Also I don’t see how they can legally tell you to rev your engine. Much like how dwi checkpoints you don’t have to answer any questions as you can invoke your right to remain silent.

Then again I don’t know where you live so your Country laws may be different.

I’ve never seen this kind of checkpoint though in the Midwest.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Very interesting. Also doesn’t sound entirely legal to me. The only way dui checkpoints are deemed legal because they claim the inconvenience to motorists outweighs the safety to the community. Also I don’t see how they can legally tell you to rev your engine. Much like how dwi checkpoints you don’t have to answer any questions as you can invoke your right to remain silent.

Then again I don’t know where you live so your Country laws may be different.

I’ve never seen this kind of checkpoint though in the Midwest.
He lives in Mexico by way of Canada.

Sponsored

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2020 Mustang EcoBoost
The cops here randomly shut down a few lanes of traffic on cruise night, and funnel everyone into a single lane. When I came up to them they asked me to rev my engine.. I knew right away the noise tax was a comin.
Maybe educate yourself how it’s done and report back
For example
Most police officers are trained in how to visually estimate the speed of cars. ... The estimation skill is honed by comparing the estimates with the radar reading. Variables such as the size, color, and distance from a vehicle affect the perceived speed of the vehicle when visually estimating speed.
Maybe in California they can get away with that, not in Georgia.

They do in Texas ... it's called "pacing". It's an estimate at best.
Pacing and visually estimating are not the same, not even close.

A Mustang sounding "loud and annoying"? Nope.

Now, I've heard Harleys on the other hand that are down right obnoxious. So how is it that a bike can rumble louder than any car or truck and is NEVER cited for a noise violation?
V8 Mustang's sound great. I saw a red GT (2020 I think) with black trim, basically the same color scheme as my SS 1LE, yesterday. That thing had an aftermarket exhaust that was really nice, much raspier than mine.

I think if a cop pulled me over and told me to rev my engine I would tell him no thank you and ask if I can be on my way.

5th Amendment stuff.
Yep, I'm switching to stealth mode and saying no thanks, not going to rev her.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Well, cops routinely give speeding tickets based on their estimate of the speed. They are trained for it and you will not beat it in court
Some department train their officers the same way regarding noise
No sure in Canada
Anyhow, loud exhaust is a lack of respect for other people and there is no excuse for it pass the age of acne and pimples
Get outta here with your “respect”. It’s a _car_ being driven on the road. It has thousands of explosions happening every second. There is no reason it should be “quiet”.

Around here the lifted trucks and motorcycles are WAY louder than any muscle car… and way more prevalent too.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Another benefit of the 10R80, neutral rev limit :crackup:

This is a Manual Man vs. Auto Boy thread now.
You can get the same effect in a manual by holding down the clutch. It won’t let you rev past like 3k…

There is no way a ticket would hold up in court. Even if there is a dub meter.

The SAE specifications for exhaust volume measurement (which states, including Cali, use in their law) have a very precise measurement point. I believe it’s 10 inches at a 45 degree angle from the tailpipe. There are also adjustments for the current wind speed.

Unless a cop has a measurement apparatus to precisely place the db meter, and has video proof of doing so, I’ll be up in that courtroom with diagrams of the exact measuring requirements and an explanation of how sound dissipation follows and inverse square law and therefore a measurement from 5 inches closer would add 6 db… and without any evidence of how the cop did the measuring there is no way to know what their number means.

To precisely measure sound pressure levels you need a good degree of exactness… there is no way a cop can do that in the field.

Super-Genius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Oxford White Mustang GT
Pacing is different than standing roadside and estimating. My brother is a cop and he said: #1 ‐ their cruisers have the speedometer calibrated every 6 months, and #2, they can only pace (and ticket) from distances of 25 meters (100') or less and it must be for a minimum of 30 seconds.
So at his department it's not some willy-nilly guesstimate.
Interesting, I didn't know that. I just know they sneak up behind you and you get hammered. Lol

Sponsored

Mizzle51

Green Machine
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Prem PP1 Black
My axle backs are 50 state legal. Which means California legal, which translate to it’s a noise tax .... so that tickets is
1f4af.png
% bogus. I ain't gonna pay one goddamn red cent. Well, we don't have cents in Canada anymore so I ain't gonna pay one goddamn nickel.
CARB / 50 State Emissions is about air quality, not noise. And its US based stuff...not sure how that applies to Canadian noise or emissions laws. But go on with your thread here...

Last edited:

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
I think if a cop pulled me over and told me to rev my engine I would tell him no thank you and ask if I can be on my way.

5th Amendment stuff.
No such thing as the 5th in Canuckistan.
However, one could argue that one never gets the rpm high enough to make over "the limit" noise.
Here in my town, cops and Ministry of Transport officers do have dB meters and "use" 95 dB @ 3500rpm...not law per se and people have challenged and won.

Last edited:

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
Interesting, I didn't know that. I just know they sneak up behind you and you get hammered. Lol
The policy for pacing is when there is no speed measurement device - radar (various bands), lidar, laser, sonar etc.
Pacing is only when the cruiser/squad car speedo is used - at least for my bros P.D.

Sneak attack like you describe would likely involve instant on radar like a K or Ka band. Pulse on - instant read, fast, short distance. You're nabbed before your Valentine 1 goes beep beep.

Super-Genius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Oxford White Mustang GT
The policy for pacing is when there is no speed measurement device - radar (various bands), lidar, laser, sonar etc.
Pacing is only when the cruiser/squad car speedo is used - at least for my bros P.D.

Sneak attack like you describe would likely involve instant on radar like a K or Ka band. Pulse on - instant read, fast, short distance. You're nabbed before your Valentine 1 goes beep beep.
I just looked it up, and it does seem to be much more accurate than I had thought. I'd always assumed it had to be a guesstimate

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
But go on with your thread here.
I will, thanks. Key word being 50 state legal. Traffic Judges here are to stupid to differentiate between the 2. Cause they are not real judges. They are appointed by a committee. Also, nowhere does it say for off road use only.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.