Is window tint cool or lame?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
How about putting up some numbers for Ceramic tint ?
Idk about numbers but I can run the A/C at low fan speeds and be comfortable even when it's 100 degrees here. The altitude also means the sun rays are normally BRUTAL but I barely notice them in the car. It also takes the car much longer to heat up when left outside.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Idk about numbers but I can run the A/C at low fan speeds and be comfortable even when it's 100 degrees here. The altitude also means the sun rays are normally BRUTAL but I barely notice them in the car. It also takes the car much longer to heat up when left outside.

I don't think that was what I asked. However to add to your post cause you quoted mine.

Rolling down the windows letting the inside cool to ambient, with ac on speeds things up.

To be clear, I'm talking non tinted, just so the point in not missed.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
What does age have to do with tinted glass? Or, maybe I don't want to know. šŸ˜‰
Old eyes tend to need more light. It's probably an individual thing.

Separate from that is the matter of cataracts, before they get intrusive enough to require attention. I had the lens in my right eye replaced before I turned 50 for that reason. As of yesterday's eye exam, the little cataract in my left eye still isn't significant enough to require further action. I'm 73.

Understanding the Lighting Needs of the Aging Eye said:
Because of the weakening muscles and decreased size of the pupil, less light is able to enter the eye. This is one reason why the older population requires higher light levels. Another reason is because the number of rods in the eye can decrease as we age, making it more difficult to see in low light.

Dark tints still flat-out scare me - coming from having a fair amount of commuting time by motorcycle and bicycle where being able to tell whether the driver of a car that's about to pull out in front of you has even looked your way makes a difference.

Privacy-level tints = vanity taken to excess.

Norm

CrowsHeadSoup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Old eyes tend to need more light. It's probably an individual thing.

Separate from that is the matter of cataracts, before they get intrusive enough to require attention. I had the lens in my right eye replaced before I turned 50 for that reason. As of yesterday's eye exam, the little cataract in my left eye still isn't significant enough to require further action. I'm 73.

Dark tints still flat-out scare me - coming from having a fair amount of commuting time by motorcycle and bicycle where being able to tell whether the driver of a car that's about to pull out in front of you has even looked your way makes a difference.

Privacy-level tints = vanity taken to excess.

Norm
Oh, I see. (No pun intended šŸ˜Š)

I once owned a used Wrangler that had tinted windows; I hated that. I had to roll down the window at intersections to ensure Iā€™d not run over anyone. And as a pedestrian, I understand your position.

The used GT350 I bought has tinted windows, quite dark, even darker than the Wrangler. But oddly enough, itā€™s easy to see out of. But I havenā€™t had it out after dark, yet.

As a preference and although I think it looks good, I would not tint windows.

Iā€™m 66, no cataracts.

Thanks for the explanation.

larf37

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I tinted my car windows because I only drive it in the summer. My daily driver pickup I didnā€™t tint this time as I found it really depressing to look out of in our already dark, grey, and long winters On my last one.

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 5.0 GT/ā€˜16 F150 XLT/ā€˜21 Explorer Platinum
I went 50% all around. Night time visibility is great.
Ceramic too so heat reduction is good.
Sponsored