Sponsored

Oil dripping, valve cover?

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
My car is currently leaking at the moment. I haven't used it in a week and i made some changes (small changes) before tx2k.
I turned car on and it smelled like burnt. passenger side valve cover seems to be the issue, i found the bolt closest to the bumper to be loose, is it okay to just tighten and see if it leaks? or do i need to change entire valve cover gasket?
Sponsored

OP
OP
BBW P1X

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Try tightening it first. Just don't overdo it. Snug is plenty.
went tighten and oneof them was loose, the second one i took a magnet to it since it was a little too loose and didnt want to drop it and come to find out it is broken inside the head. Getting it fixed sunday hopefully

7B851956-3123-4D31-A056-D3A691660A1F.jpeg

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Same thing happened on my 15 except when I tightened them I broke the one closest to the driver. Impossible to get to, to fix and I Never had a leak again as long as all the others were tight.

OP
OP
BBW P1X

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Same thing happened on my 15 except when I tightened them I broke the one closest to the driver. Impossible to get to, to fix and I Never had a leak again as long as all the others were tight.
damn ans those bolts seem so fragile, did you car smoke out back too through the exhaust or just through the wngine bay?

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Torque spec is only 89 inch pounds....

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
damn ans those bolts seem so fragile, did you car smoke out back too through the exhaust or just through the wngine bay?
Slight leak noticed when doing an oil change. Never any smoke, especially out exhaust.
You may have something more going on there

OP
OP
BBW P1X

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Torque spec is only 89 inch pounds....
I havent touched them. I am taking it to a shop on sunday and will be doing valve cover gasket themselves.
Slight leak noticed when doing an oil change. Never any smoke, especially out exhaust.
You may have something more going on there
whats weird is i havent done any pulls on the car, it was only cruising. If it is any more serious i hope the heads are fine since im doing a built block soon. Im worried though regardless

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck man, hope it’s nothing much

Sponsored

Old5.Oguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto
It is a known problem with Ford just so you know. The bolts should not be tourqed down anymore than 89 pounds. Those bolts will shear right off and depending on where they break off and which one broke off it could be an enormous job if you can’t get the remainder of the bolt out. Like pulling the head big. Like you said it’s normally the passenger side lower bolt on the valve cover. First try tightening it, if not you may have to get a new valve cover, it comes with the bolts and gasket already seated. It’s happened to a few guys I know.

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
Good thing about those bolts is they are easy to get out since they torqued very much. Broke one on my G8 and luckily I had enough to get needle nose on it and turn it out.

OP
OP
BBW P1X

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Yeah i hope its nothing serious. I never touched the bolts myself. all i can assume is that a shop installed my OPG a while ago about a year ago and they torqued it way too much since it was already snapped when i inspected the issue. I bought bolts from ford yesterday and sunday a shop that i have been working with doing the whole job for me

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
It is a known problem with Ford just so you know. The bolts should not be tourqed down anymore than 89 pounds. Those bolts will shear right off and depending on where they break off and which one broke off it could be an enormous job if you can’t get the remainder of the bolt out. Like pulling the head big. Like you said it’s normally the passenger side lower bolt on the valve cover. First try tightening it, if not you may have to get a new valve cover, it comes with the bolts and gasket already seated. It’s happened to a few guys I know.
89 inch pounds you mean

Old5.Oguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto