Blueoval177

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cael
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
Hello,

Getting back into mustangs. wanting a fun weekend/casual car, might hit the strip once or twice. Not super familiar with s550 generations. Tried to lurk and search for info. Can do manual or auto, likely boost in the future with 91 octane only available. Friends have vettes/z06, mustangs, Camaros, gtr. In Canada.

couple used ones - miles/usd

15 gt premium auto - stock - 40k miles 28k - nice shape. Private

16 gt premium pp1 6spd - long tube, cai, stg2 mt82, cb exh, stg3 clutch, unknown history or install - 28k miles -$31k private

18 gt premium a10 401a pp1 - dealer, stock - 22k miles -$38k

no experience with these, seen the big gearing changes gen2-3 manuals. Is it worth it going up to gen 3/a10 ? No local dealers or friends to try out s550. No e85 or 93. Any suggestions? Worth it to go a10 gen 3? Ordering new anything sucks up here. Thanks!
Sponsored

ColdShotxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT A10 300A Base
I had a 15 V6 manual and a 15 GT A6, now a 21 GT A10. Exterior is objective, I thing 15-17s are more classic and will age better overvte, the 18+ have some nicer finishing touches improvements though. For interior, generally it feels like the same car, however the 401A trim will help with that (still this interior is 7yo) For engine, it is a night and day difference, the engine is far more lively in the 18±. A10 over the A6 is worth a premium price too me. The last option is what I would choose without question.

Pkvir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium-PP1
18 gt premium a10 401a pp1 - dealer, stock - 22k miles -$38k is by far the best car listed. IMO of course.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
What do you plan to use the car for? Are you mechanically inclined and want to work on it/modify it, or are you going to leave it stock?

My understanding of the A10 is that it’s a great auto, but I wouldn’t ever buy anything but a manual for a sports car. I don’t mean to get into a whole thing with auto guys, it’s my opinion. That being said I am heavily modifying my car, that’s part of why I got a sports car in the first place. If you’re going to modify it and do the work yourself, get a bare bones and save the money. If you’re going to leave it pretty well stock or have to pay someone for the mods you do, get a PP package. I don’t care about heated steering wheels and big screens because it’s a toy for me, I don’t want luxury I want speed. The money I would have spent on fancy stuff I’m spending on suspension (for example).

All depends on what you’re doing with it…

OP
OP

Blueoval177

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cael
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
What do you plan to use the car for? Are you mechanically inclined and want to work on it/modify it, or are you going to leave it stock?

My understanding of the A10 is that it’s a great auto, but I wouldn’t ever buy anything but a manual for a sports car. I don’t mean to get into a whole thing with auto guys, it’s my opinion. That being said I am heavily modifying my car, that’s part of why I got a sports car in the first place. If you’re going to modify it and do the work yourself, get a bare bones and save the money. If you’re going to leave it pretty well stock or have to pay someone for the mods you do, get a PP package. I don’t care about heated steering wheels and big screens because it’s a toy for me, I don’t want luxury I want speed. The money I would have spent on fancy stuff I’m spending on suspension (for example).

All depends on what you’re doing with it…
Thanks for the input everyone.

I traditionally worked on my stuff but my current career is work hard/play hard so might source it out. Basically want a fun car that can handle boost, make my c7 vette buddies sweat. I guess with the used options I’m trying to figure out is it worth stepping up a generation +\- premium options.

I am extremely torn on the manual vs auto sports car mindset, I get it. Love a stick and the involvement. I think if the gt had a tremec like the Camaro I’d go that way. I had issues with sn197 manuals and have a meh feeling to the mt82. But in a future where everything is turning into a golf cart, save the manuals. I guess if the a10 has some involvement does it suffice. I think I’ll go for a drive and checkout the 18 at this point.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
There is only 1 Generation of S550 at the moment, spanning from 2015-current.

If you're referring to exterior body styling, here's the break points:
  • 2015-2017: The "original" S550 style.
  • 2018-current: Referred to as the redesign. Front nose cone, fenders hood, rear bumper cover and lower rear valence. 2018+ Also received LED headlights (as well as other misc. LED light upgrades). Quad tip and Active Exhaust also introduced. 10R80 Automatic Transmission replaced the 6R80.
The basic interiors have remained unchanged since 2015 - with the exception of:
  • 2018+ top of door panels are soft touch padding
  • 2018+ digital dash cluster appearing as an option
  • 2019+ stereo system being upgraded to B&O
I know I missed a lot of the individual option packages etc - but the above is the "basic" run down if you're looking at S550's online to purchase. The actual Model Year Sales Brochures (available online in many places as pdf downloads) have the entire option package breakouts in them.

The 2015-2017 vs the 2018-current is similar to when the Fox Body Mustang went from "4-eyes" to the Aero nose... so you have 2 Camps on here that will be 2015-17 or 2018-current Enthusiasts.

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
If you plan on boosting it the gen 2 Coyote 5.0 2015 to 2017 is the best, it is basically the roadrunner 5.0 from the gen 1 Boss Mustang.
The gen 3s 2018 and higher are also very good, but they are still relatively new, so time will tell.

Anyway you go you are going to LOVE this platform, in my opinion it is one of the best looking cars period!

Good luck and enjoy đź‘Ť
Sponsored