S550 Visor failure

Bombrcar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
SO I am now on my 3rd visor. My first failed - Homelink stopped working - and was replaced under warranty. 2nd time, Homelink stopped working, as did the switches for the Dome light, the glove box and trunk lights. After replacing the fuse and it blowing immediately, I found references to the visor being in the same circuit. So i disconnected it and all was fine. Bought a used on on EBay swapped it out and it's been good for a year. Last week, Homelink died again!
I think the wiring in the visor must fail due to moving and extending the visor. Any one have any ideas on how to prevent this, or is it just a design flaw?
Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Don't ever upon any circumstances ever move the drivers side visor. You can move the passenger side all you want. Moving the drivers side could mean catastrophic problems will ensue. So to sum it up...moving driver side visor = no go....moving passenger side visor = a ok.....anyone have any tape?

LOL sorry could not resist. Seems like there is a flaw in the wiring somewhere. I move the visor all the time and no problems....however I only have about 5k on mine.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
SO I am now on my 3rd visor. My first failed - Homelink stopped working - and was replaced under warranty. 2nd time, Homelink stopped working, as did the switches for the Dome light, the glove box and trunk lights. After replacing the fuse and it blowing immediately, I found references to the visor being in the same circuit. So i disconnected it and all was fine. Bought a used on on EBay swapped it out and it's been good for a year. Last week, Homelink died again!
I think the wiring in the visor must fail due to moving and extending the visor. Any one have any ideas on how to prevent this, or is it just a design flaw?
IronG you are a mean, cruel man. :thumbsup::clap::)

You need to look at the wiring going into the visor. There may be a wire with the cover worn off that moves just enough to touch metal and blow the fuse. It is unlikely, although not impossible that it is the visor itself. The dome light switches was the giveaway.

OP
OP
Bombrcar

Bombrcar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
IronG you are a mean, cruel man. :thumbsup::clap::)

You need to look at the wiring going into the visor. There may be a wire with the cover worn off that moves just enough to touch metal and blow the fuse. It is unlikely, although not impossible that it is the visor itself. The dome light switches was the giveaway.
I think it's in the visor. The dome lights and everything else are working now, just the remote stopped. So, I got a remote opener and just do it from my phone now. But I will feel safe moving the visor to block the sun!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I think it's in the visor. The dome lights and everything else are working now, just the remote stopped. So, I got a remote opener and just do it from my phone now. But I will feel safe moving the visor to block the sun!
Back when I worked for a major electronics manufacturer we did have on very rare occasion customers that would have multiple failures of the same product. Chalk it up to bad karma or just plain bad luck. The chances of you having 3 bad visors is incredible slim to none. If it is the visor that is failing something else is causing it to fail over time. You need to find that something else. The fact that your dome lights are "now" working leads me to believe you have an intermittent short somewhere.

Park

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, 20 Mustang EB and 21 Bronco Sport
I had the drivers side visor lights quit a few weeks ago and days later LH rear tire loosing pressure, then LH knee air bag warning, when it rains it pours.
First the tire was repaired, the visor was replaced and the air bag light went off and they couldn’t find anything wrong with the air bag ?
Sponsored