Sponsored

S550 engine removal

kjohannsen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT performance pack. 2.9 stage 2 Whipple.
I’ve started to remove the coyote from my 2015. Was wondering best way to proceed. Will be removing from top. Should I remove the MT 82 or is it possible to leave it in place disconnected bell housing?
It it easier to remove motor mounts from the block? Can AC compressor lines stay on compressor and compressor removed from block?
Any other things to look out for before I start?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
if going out the bottom is not an option (by far the best) you can also go out the front. Going out the top was not going to work with my engine hoist with the trans on so I took off the front bumper and crash bar and came out the front. Very tight squeeze but worked, transmission attached.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I’ve started to remove the coyote from my 2015. Was wondering best way to proceed. Will be removing from top. Should I remove the MT 82 or is it possible to leave it in place disconnected bell housing?
It it easier to remove motor mounts from the block? Can AC compressor lines stay on compressor and compressor removed from block?
Any other things to look out for before I start?
Thanks in advance
I always separate trans from block and leave trans under car. You can remove the ac compressor and rest on steering rack. No need to remove lines. I like to remove the motor mount bolts at the block and leave mounts on kmember. You can leave mounts on engine but they will scratch your frame rails up. Remove steering shaft bolt at rack end and left shaft hang down. Remove rad and fan, condenser can stay in car. No need to pull rad support. Hood can stay on if someone pushes up on it while pulling engine. You can pull engine with long tube headers on No prob.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
If you're going to be doing a bunch of work, pay the $21.95 and get a motorcraft service subscription for 72 hours. You get access to all the service manuals.
Really not needed unless one has limited experience. S550 and coyote engine is really easy to work on.

Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I always separate trans from block and leave trans under car. You can remove the ac compressor and rest on steering rack. No need to remove lines. I like to remove the motor mount bolts at the block and leave mounts on kmember. You can leave mounts on engine but they will scratch your frame rails up. Remove steering shaft bolt at rack end and left shaft hang down. Remove rad and fan, condenser can stay in car. No need to pull rad support. Hood can stay on if someone pushes up on it while pulling engine. You can pull engine with long tube headers on No prob.
Thanks, saving for the future

OP
OP
kjohannsen

kjohannsen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply
Very helpful
Already pulled the hood to make things easier. started to disassemble tonight. Is there a tool available to easily disconnect the coolant fittings for the oil cooler lines?
When you pulled your engine did you jack up the MT to allow the engine to move forward and separate from the housing? looking at the motor mounts it looks like pulling the bolts from the block is the way to go...

OP
OP
kjohannsen

kjohannsen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply
Very helpful
Already pulled the hood to make things easier. started to disassemble tonight. Is there a tool available to easily disconnect the coolant fittings for the oil cooler lines?
When you pulled your engine did you jack up the MT to allow the engine to move forward and separate from the housing? looking at the motor mounts it looks like pulling the bolts from the block is the way to go...
Also, I ordered the MMR engine removal plate that bolts on top. It has a single eyelet for a hoist chain. From what I can see, if the engine can come forward a bit to clear the strut tower brace after it separates from the tranny. it should come straight up and out. And looks like there is plenty of room with just the rad removed. The Intercooler heat exchanger and AC condenser are more forward and out of the way.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Thanks for the reply
Very helpful
Simply pinch the clips on the Coolant lines for the oil cooler to remove. They are the same type as the heatercore hoses. You can disconnect those at the front and leave them attached at the firewall, just rotate out of the way.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Also, I ordered the MMR engine removal plate that bolts on top. It has a single eyelet for a hoist chain. From what I can see, if the engine can come forward a bit to clear the strut tower brace after it separates from the tranny. it should come straight up and out. And looks like there is plenty of room with just the rad removed. The Intercooler heat exchanger and AC condenser are more forward and out of the way.
Just remove the strut tower bar.

Sponsored

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
I have to pull my engine and was dreading pulling the long tubes, good to know they can stay on!

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
This. Much easier than having to disconnect the trans on your back and then fish it out the engine from the top with a picker.
Depends on the capacity of the picker you have, how much room you have in front of car, someone to help etc. I usually do it all by myself, leaving trans connected you Def need 2 people. Some folks cant fit under a car on jackststands or have dexterity issues, the out then front would be better for them.

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
People here have covered everything. I did it out the top with the hood and trans removed and couldn't believe how simple it was. I removed the bumper cover but that might not be necessary depending on how long your lift arm is.

Get the Ford manuals as reference above. You can download them and they are very helpful for all this plus any internal work you need to do.
Sponsored