Sponsored

S550 driver survives wrong way head on crash.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
It's scary that I have friends like that and they keep telling themselves seat belts will kill them in an accident vs hitting the steering wheel or the windshield or possible ejection and run over by other cars.
I never understood how this 'logic' started and continued to perpetuate ...

almost like when cigarette smokers try to make excuses for their high risk behavior...smh... Its amazing the lengths humans will go through to continue doing something they know is wrong.
Sponsored

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
I guess your fire extinguisher COULD blow up and kill you to....I still have one though.

Brian_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
See username
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7L, 2016 Explorer 3.5L
An acquaintance (he’s a close friend of my coworker) who had a 2018 Mustang GT PP got into this crash just a few days ago... other than a few airbag and seatbelt related bruises, he’s fine. The S550 is incredibly safe as long as you let the installed safety equipment do what it’s designed for.

1ehb1jM.jpg

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I own both an Accord and a Mustang. Each are safe cars, but you never know who is going to make it out alive. Speed, angle of impact, etc. The factory crash tests do a pretty good job but can't take into account everything that can happen. Honda engineers put a lot of thought into safety. I remember reading that they considered the physics of striking a pedestrian when designing the front end (insert Mustang joke here).That said, my Accord is around 500 lbs lighter and almost the same size so there's that.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That was an older Accord. Safe for its day, but even now, the standards are much better. That Mustang has so much more metal up front for protection, even in the 2.3L. It's hard for a smaller car to come out fairing well after a collision that hard with a vehicle outweighing it by a good 500lbs.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I own both an Accord and a Mustang. Each are safe cars, but you never know who is going to make it out alive. Speed, angle of impact, etc. The factory crash tests do a pretty good job but can't take into account everything that can happen. Honda engineers put a lot of thought into safety. I remember reading that they considered the physics of striking a pedestrian when designing the front end (insert Mustang joke here).That said, my Accord is around 500 lbs lighter and almost the same size so there's that.
All cars are required to have "pedestrian interface" designed in, either collapsable space between the hood and the engine block or active protections. This is an even bigger issue in Japan where pedestrian/bicycle vs vehicle deaths are a real big issue, making up over 50% of traffic accident fatalities, while it's something like 15% in the US.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I never understood how this 'logic' started and continued to perpetuate ...

almost like when cigarette smokers try to make excuses for their high risk behavior...smh... Its amazing the lengths humans will go through to continue doing something they know is wrong.
I believe this all started long before seat belts existed. When cars crashed the way they did for most of the 20th century, the cars transmitted most of that energy to the driver and the interior was severely compromised. In many of those higher speed crashes, being ejected was probably often favorable to certain death being crushed alive and/or impaled by a non-collapsable steering column.

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
That 500 pounds lighter is why the Mustang turns the Accord into an Accordion.

STex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67,69 ram air and 72 GTO
One has to be way gone to drive about 3 miles the wrong way. Just beyond stupid with no respect for others. Wonder if driver had priors?
Note the warning to stay out of the fast lane at night. Very important. I try to stay out of fast lane during daytime and for sure at night.
Sponsored