Rusty Gorilla Nuts

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
Is anyone else suffering from rusty Gorilla nuts?

Purchased them from Steeda back in March this year and fitted them in April when I did my coilovers/sway bars/CB005 etc., and while I never expected a lifetime guarantee, I didn't expect them to do this after only having been on the car for 6 months. About half of them are rusting as bad as the one in the pic, and the rest are just starting to go.

Car is mostly stored in a dry underground car park and when washed (average once every 2 weeks) I always dry off the wheel nuts/pockets with an air line.

Bit surprised for them to be rusting to this extent... just looks shite when you've cleaned the wheels up all nice and the nuts are covered in rusty brown spots!

The splines over which the hex nut fits for removal/installation are also rusting noticeably, and other than the initial installation, the wheels have only been removed/refitted once when I made some adjustments to the coilovers.

Rusty Gorilla Nuts.jpg
Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I've had my nuts for the last 18 months (no giggling at the back) and not noticed any significant corrosion, and I do remove the wheels monthly to check the spacers. Mine don't look like yours however. I only have 4 lock nuts and the rest are as stock but black.
I'll be taking a closer look tomorrow however...

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Are you close to the sea (you can’t be far!). Maybe salt in the wind with the recent storms.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Mine are fine i've had them on over a year now. they do however "fade" if some twat rattle guns them.... *Cough Seltatyre*

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I live barely further than a good 3 iron from the sea.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nookie

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
I'm 1/2 to 3/4 mile from the sea, but in a built-up area that's pretty well protected from the sea air/ breezes (the prevailing winds here are more towards the coast rather than towards the land where I am). Certainly never had issues with anything else ever rusting abnormally in the area!

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Nice looking wheels . Where did ya get them ?

Those nuts do look like shyte . Steeda huh ...

OP
OP
Nookie

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
Wheels are Judd T204's (www.juddwheels.com) and UK supplied, which is one of the reasons I bought them. Very similar in appearance to Project 6GR's but about half the price (after you account for lousy exchange rate, shipping, taxes and duties payable on getting a set of 6GR's to the UK). The other benefit is that if I ever f**k one on a kerb it's easy to get a replacement.

Not so much a Steeda issue with the nuts as they're just the UK supplier, more so Gorilla who are the manufacturer. Everything else I've purchased from Robbie at [MENTION=22385]Steeda UK[/MENTION] has been absolute top quality (sway bars, billet mounts, jack rails, hood struts and more).

That's why I'm a little surprised they've rusted so quickly and don't seem to be of the quality I would have expected, and I wondered if anyone else had experienced the same problem... or maybe I've just got a duff set!

Last edited:

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
^^^ Might just be a duff set. I ordered a similar Gorilla set from Amazon and when they came had surface rust and spots all over them. Load of junk.

I bought a set of Gorilla nuts from CJ Pony Parts and they were fine - no deterioration yet.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
I got mine from CJ. They're the black ones.:thumbsup:

I've lost count of how many times my wheels have been off and on (brake saga):lol::lol:. Lug nuts still look like new:thumbsup::clap2::)

Sponsored

Ritchie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any old shite.
Yep, mine are going the same way. Been on 6 months, I live by the sea.
Not too happy about it, also bought from Steeda. Are there any alternatives?

Cati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 get v8 ucl mag grey & e93 m3 cp
Yep, mine are going the same way. Been on 6 months, I live by the sea.
Not too happy about it, also bought from Steeda. Are there any alternatives?
They all do it eventually. American and Chinese chromeciscjot whstcisxused to be :)

Guy@NemesisUK

Threads
Reaction score
Website
nemesisuk.com
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
Project NemStang / Modified UK S550 Mustang GT
Gorilla have an awesome anti-theft locking wheel nut but like you Nookie I too have started to see the same issues with their black wheel nuts.

TBF out of the box I wasn't too impressed for their value as they were all bagged together to knock and chip each other and the coating looks to be a rather dull anodized black.

We have recently bought into stock the coyote 6 spline black wheel nuts that look to have a better black powder coat finish looking much nicer and more protective. The price on them compared to Gorilla is also very good too.

https://nemesisuk.com/collections/m...it-black-6-spline-truck-2-5-lug-kit-631548blk

From the image below although not the clearest you can see the state of the finish on the Gorilla to the left and the Coyote to the right. They also come individually bagged to avoid any chipping of the nuts clashing together when in transit.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
they do look more glossy than the gorillas on the left.

Ritchie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any old shite.
They look a lot longer though, will they not poke out like an Alaskans hookers nips?
I would like to see some installed before I buy.
Sponsored