Sponsored

rust on exhaust tips

Mitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser; 2022 MT GT/CS DMG
Vehicle Showcase
So I have had my CS since December and it less than 2500 miles. I was washing it today and noticed that I have rust spots on the factory exhaust tips. there are about a half dozen or so all about the size of the head of a pin. What is the best way to remove the spots?
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Outside or inside ?

WD :like:

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I was washing it today and noticed that I have rust spots on the factory exhaust tips.
That is possibly rail dust fallout from transportation, or it could be some form of mild steel cross contamination from manufacturing.
Either way a mild chemical rust removing solution should dissolve the iron particles that are bonded to the stainless steel. Don’t use any abrasives as that will just smear the iron over the surface causing more rust to appear.
We use a citric or nitric acid solution to dissolve free iron from 300 series stainless steel.
Bradford De-Rust-it is a good product, Zep has a rust and scale remover product as well. Also believe it or not Goof Off Rust-Aid will dissolve surface iron deposits.
Hope this helps you out.

OP
OP
Mitt

Mitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser; 2022 MT GT/CS DMG
Vehicle Showcase
That is possibly rail dust fallout from transportation, or it could be some form of mild steel cross contamination from manufacturing.
Either way a mild chemical rust removing solution should dissolve the iron particles that are bonded to the stainless steel. Don’t use any abrasives as that will just smear the iron over the surface causing more rust to appear.
We use a citric or nitric acid solution to dissolve free iron from 300 series stainless steel.
Bradford De-Rust-it is a good product, Zep has a rust and scale remover product as well. Also believe it or not Goof Off Rust-Aid will dissolve surface iron deposits.
Hope this helps you out.
I’ll have to get some of the Rust-aid

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Some comments / old posts from me that offer a quick way to clean and apply a satin / brushed look to the OE tips :

For us on this side of the pond, T-cut is great on stainless tips, it’s cheap, easy to get hold of (pretty much every gas station sells it, even supermarkets) and lasts ages.

Get the original stuff that stinks, it seems to have just the right combination of chemical cleaning to dissolve the burnt on tar and abrasive to polish them up :like:

Oh yeah, even though it was intended for it, never (ever) use it on paint … lol

I didn't polish mine, but I smoothed the sharp edges, removed all the underseal overspray (UK car) and applied an even brushed finish :

28476-F58-46-BD-4-B18-B485-E77-A4-C1-A034-B.jpg

8334811-D-BC5-A-426-A-9-C58-A06020-DDE00-F.jpg

I suppose for a tip as basic as they are, it's how they should have prepped them from the factory ...

For the sharp edges :

Just the small sanding drum like this :

1621603025411.png

I used a fine grit and made sure it was pre-used (less aggressive and takes a bit longer, but more forgiving in the case of an error / slip).

It's difficult to get around the tips with the 3M pad but this method works a treat :
  • Cut your 3M pad (I used the green type) into a 1" strip.
  • Get an old dressing gown tie and lay it out flat.
  • Place you 1" wide 3M pad on it (it will stick a bit like weak Velcro).
  • Flip it all over and warp it in a U shape over the tip.
  • Add tension and push / pull the gown tie ends - kind of like one of those street shoe buffer guys polishing the toe section of a shoe.
The 3M pad will be held on the inside of the gown tie up against the tip and it will give a nice even pattern, that with a bit of manoeuvring can be put all around the tips. The plastics and other tip are also protected from the 3M pad by the outer side of the gown tie.

If have have done a crap job of explaining that just let me know and I will snap a photo - that will make the method very obvious :like:

@wenklaw - I thought you might be interested in this, there is a very distinct difference in the magnetism of the inner and outer tips :

It’s the same on both sides. That magnet is reasonably strong, it was rescued from a kids magnetic dartboard before the misses recycled it.

I know working stainless can alter its magnetism, but there isn’t really any significant change in the forming of the inner and outer tips that could influence that.

The video was pre cleaning, but post cleaning (internal only) with T-Cut on a 3M kitchen pad finishes them like this :

FDF55650-46-C7-4526-997-C-75175-EAB4-C33.jpg

I also fixed the tips up - much easier to do off the car (if you truly want to get all around them) :

1665260811122.jpeg

1665260833800.jpeg

1665260856939.jpeg

People have asked before how I have done the brushed finish, this picture should make everything self explanatory :

1665401216097.jpeg

Important notes :

A) 3M pads seem to last better than the Asda (Walmart) type, but I couldn't find any in time.

B) The repurposed dressing gown cord is very important - you need to source a red superman version just like mine ... :giggle: