Running e85 with a whipple Blower

Arzane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Whipple Mustang
My buddy just got a whipple blower. He loves it and wants to get more serious with it and run e85 than the casual 93. He daily drives the car and usually Runs 93. So he Tunes with palm beach dyno and was hoping to get an e85 tune. Will the nguage automatically detect the ethanol percentage and adjust or will he need to have little to no 93 octane in the tank. Same vice versa. If he runs the e85 and goes back to drive to work and fills up with 93 and some of tank is full of E would that be an issue. I was under the impression the nguage adjusts the car based on the ethanol but I wasn’t sure.
Sponsored

Mike K.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
I think you have to get a tuner to enable the alcohol content pid, tune wise you would have to flash back and forth when you filled up etc

OP
OP

Arzane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Whipple Mustang
I think you have to get a tuner to enable the alcohol content pid, tune wise you would have to flash back and forth when you filled up etc
He would have to be pretty close to empty to reflash to e85 then is what you are saying if he previously had 93?

Sponsored

jhunt47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Y
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
No tuner that I know of will do a flex tune for a supercharged vehicle.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
With the Whipple he’ll need an upgraded fuel system as well for E85 (injectors, pumps, fuel lines, return system) as tuners require it. They also used to do flex tunes for sc setups as I have one (91, 100, flex, E85) which I will say is nice to have for mixed or transitioning fuels. Flex tunes are more dangerous for boosted cars than na cars which is why they stopped and I never go into boost while on the flex tune. Flex tunes rely on the O2 sensors on our mustangs which isn’t an ultimately reliable system. These days you’ll want to be pretty low on fuel when changing from gas to E. I daily and road course my car and I’m on E probably 95% of the time. It’s amazing.

Logan@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 3.0L Whipple
I would not recommend using a flex fuel tune on a boosted setup. I suppose if you had an ethanol sensor on the return and used that PID it could be feasible.. just even then it could be off at the actual site of injection.
As db252 said:
With the Whipple he’ll need an upgraded fuel system as well for E85 (injectors, pumps, fuel lines, return system) as tuners require it. They also used to do flex tunes for sc setups as I have one (91, 100, flex, E85) which I will say is nice to have for mixed or transitioning fuels. Flex tunes are more dangerous for boosted cars than na cars which is why they stopped and I never go into boost while on the flex tune. Flex tunes rely on the O2 sensors on our mustangs which isn’t an ultimately reliable system. These days you’ll want to be pretty low on fuel when changing from gas to E. I daily and road course my car and I’m on E probably 95% of the time. It’s amazing.
Injectors + fuel system (plus tune, of course) should be mandatory when doing the E85 swap. We've had customers run a DW400 + BAP.. just not recommended.

On our 2018, we run E85 full time now with the Whipple setup (plus ID1300x + our DivisionX fuel system made specifically for the Whipple). We run a 3.5/20% lower. It's a beast. If you have any questions (or he does), feel free to give us a shout.
Sponsored