Sponsored

Run Flat (RF) versus Non Run Flat (NRF)

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
Apologies if RF vs NRF is a dead horse subject. If yes I appreciate if you post a link to the info I seek. TIA
So I was out throwing the GT around in sport mode on some twisty roads today and thinking it was holding the road pretty good.
But I couldn't help but wonder if premium NRF tires would improve the grip and ride over the factory RF tires.
I put Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on my Z4 and was thrilled with the improved ride and grip.
The car in question here is a 2017 5.0 GT with stock 235/50ZR18 Perelli tires.
Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
RF tires suck. Period. DWS,Pilot SS, etc non RF tires are a HUGE performance gain, like you have seen already.

OP
OP
Rover

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to hear what NRF tires other owners are running on their cars. I'm currently running the original square set of 18" Perelli

LetItRide1978

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I didn’t realize Mustangs came with run-flats. I have a 2018 3 series and I’ve replaced 3 tires over 16k miles if that tells you anything. And one tire on my previous lease just before I turned it in. I appreciate not having to stop on the side of the road to fix a flat but the run-flats are just too damn delicate. They don’t handle potholes well and seem to pick up nails/screws easier than regular tires.

I’d recommend the Pilot Sport 4S, unless you need all season tires, then go for the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I have enjoyed the stock PS4S tires on my Mustang.
Sponsored