Sponsored

Roush vs Ford Performance? Differences--same?

94gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mat
Vehicle(s)
21' F150, 21' Mustang GT
Totally new to SC for anything so I have a couple of rookie questions:

The kits I am looking at:
M-6066-M8- From Ford Performance - this lists a 750hp/670 ft/lbs
Same Part number from CJ Pony Parts lists this kit as 700hp/610 ft/lbs
Now on the Roush website they offer:
Phase 1 kit- this reads identical to what CJ Pony parts has listed for the Ford Performance kit ( M-6066-M8 ) 700hp/610 ft/lbs
Phase 2 kit- this one has the same specs as the kit listed on Ford Performance 750hp/670 ft/lbs.

Very confused by the info I am finding. I am not looking to build a race car, but would like to add more performance, and I have been leaning towards the Ford Performance/Roush (since they are all badged with both), but does anyone know if the one from Ford Performance really is the 750hp kit?
Sponsored

JK XLR8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JK
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Roushcharged
The Roush and Ford Performance are the exact same product. Keep in mind, the phase1 is 700hp, the phase2 is 750hp and is in the calibration. I went with the phase2 750hp and couldn't be happier with the power.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
From all the research that I was able to make, FP brought their kit on par with Phase 2 last year (it was Phase 1 before that). Phase 1 used to have a different radiator and tune in the past, but as of now they differ in tune only and FP has Phase 2 tune now.
Would be best to reach out to Roush and double check with them directly.

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
Exact same kit. I know you mentioned you didn't really care to go over 700-750 but I personally prefer a bit more efficiency out of a blower than what the Roush one typically puts out. Even at 700whp, a Whipple 3.0 will do it a lot more easily and you won't have to worry about heat during the summer months. Plus if you ever decide you want more, the Whipple will make more with very minimal mods. Either way you go, you can't go wrong, a blower on a gen 3 Coyote is a very quick car. Feel free to shoot me a message anytime if you have any questions about any of the kits. Lethalperformance.com

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Exact same kit. I know you mentioned you didn't really care to go over 700-750 but I personally prefer a bit more efficiency out of a blower than what the Roush one typically puts out. Even at 700whp, a Whipple 3.0 will do it a lot more easily and you won't have to worry about heat during the summer months. Plus if you ever decide you want more, the Whipple will make more with very minimal mods. Either way you go, you can't go wrong, a blower on a gen 3 Coyote is a very quick car. Feel free to shoot me a message anytime if you have any questions about any of the kits. Lethalperformance.com
I couldn’t agree more with this statement ! I went with the Roush and kick myself daily for not just going with a Whipple. That being said I’m too deep into it now to change so I’m pushing my setup to its limits.

Sponsored

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
I couldn’t agree more with this statement ! I went with the Roush and kick myself daily for not just going with a Whipple. That being said I’m too deep into it now to change so I’m pushing my setup to its limits.
You can definitely make the Roush sing, there is no denying that, I just prefer the most efficient route possible, safer on the engine lol.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
You can definitely make the Roush sing, there is no denying that, I just prefer the most efficient route possible, safer on the engine lol.
I agree, but the effects of efficiency on a Whipple isn't until around 15+psi. Anything below that, and most PD compressors will operate similar from 9-15psi. The Roush/Ford will also be more responsive than a Whipple below around 14psi.

The ability to push the bigger more efficient blowers into their sweet spot further down the line, is a nice advantage no doubt.

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
So you say Whipple is safer on engine compared to Roush?
comparatively speaking yes, depends on what you really do with it but the design of the Whipple 3.0 makes boost easier than the TVS. But if the goal is just to make 700 and stay there, either option will do it perfectly fine. If the goal is to eventually pump up the numbers a bit, I would absolutely go with the Whipple.

OP
OP
94gt

94gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mat
Vehicle(s)
21' F150, 21' Mustang GT
comparatively speaking yes, depends on what you really do with it but the design of the Whipple 3.0 makes boost easier than the TVS. But if the goal is just to make 700 and stay there, either option will do it perfectly fine. If the goal is to eventually pump up the numbers a bit, I would absolutely go with the Whipple.
Personally I am not looking to build a race car, but I have always been chasing a GT500, and never seem to end up with one (had one in my sights this fall, at MSRP, but couldn't finish the deal since I needed to trade in my GT, and under A plan rules I had to keep it for 6 months, and was only 90 days into ownership)...so I figured if I go with a 700-750HP super charger it will get me closer than I am now, and save me some $$ comparatively. My intention is to have a nice quick street car. I am really leaning towards the Roush/Ford options due to the warranty, does Whipple offer something similar? I am not against them, I just have a 5 month old car with 600 miles that I don't want to lose 31 months and 31,000 miles of warranty on :)

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Stephen are any of the Whipple kits have a CARB EO#? I think that is going to be a deciding factor for a lot of us especially the way the EPA is cracking down on things. Not to mention 3yr./36k mile warranty.

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
Stephen are any of the Whipple kits have a CARB EO#? I think that is going to be a deciding factor for a lot of us especially the way the EPA is cracking down on things. Not to mention 3yr./36k mile warranty.
All of Whipple's kits have a Carb #. However, they must be used as their full kit including the Whipple tune that is supplied. They do also offer a power train warranty with the Whipple that can be added on.

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
Personally I am not looking to build a race car, but I have always been chasing a GT500, and never seem to end up with one (had one in my sights this fall, at MSRP, but couldn't finish the deal since I needed to trade in my GT, and under A plan rules I had to keep it for 6 months, and was only 90 days into ownership)...so I figured if I go with a 700-750HP super charger it will get me closer than I am now, and save me some $$ comparatively. My intention is to have a nice quick street car. I am really leaning towards the Roush/Ford options due to the warranty, does Whipple offer something similar? I am not against them, I just have a 5 month old car with 600 miles that I don't want to lose 31 months and 31,000 miles of warranty on :)
Yes sir that do offer a warranty program, typically it has to be installed by a certified Ford rep to use the warranty however.

OP
OP
94gt

94gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mat
Vehicle(s)
21' F150, 21' Mustang GT
Yes sir that do offer a warranty program, typically it has to be installed by a certified Ford rep to use the warranty however.
Zero intentions of this being a DIY install :) I don't doubt I could do it, but with something like this its better just to pay upfront once rather than have to pay for something new all over again if its not right. Outside of normal maintenance, and swapping the exhaust on my last 2 Mustangs, I haven't touched an engine since my 94GT with a pushrod V8.....the technology went on without me keeping up with it.

JK XLR8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JK
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Roushcharged
I would call Lebanon Ford Peformance, they installed my Roush blower 750hp and did an excellent job which included the 3/36 powertrain warranty.
Sponsored