Sponsored

ROUSH Calibration Locks PCM?

estebanvdt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Roush Stage 3 Phase 2
Hi guys, I'm looking to get some answers on whether the roush tune for a phase 2 stage 3 mustang s/c actually locks the PCM? I've heard contradictory answers about this, some say it does, others say that with HP tuners you wouldn't have any issue etc....

I just want to tune my car for bigger injectors, bigger TB, headers etc.

Can some one chime in? your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored

yonson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 A10 401A, '16 RCSB 5.0
It doesn't "lock" the PCM, Roush creates their own strategy for their superchargers. If you or your tuner is using HP Tuners you will be able to make changes, other calibration tools might work on them now, but I'm not sure which.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
with the tuning, not always, but most of the time, you will need to flash a stock program back onto the car either from a dealer or installer like us that has the ability to do it.

then load the new program

OP
OP

estebanvdt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Roush Stage 3 Phase 2
with the tuning, not always, but most of the time, you will need to flash a stock program back onto the car either from a dealer or installer like us that has the ability to do it.

then load the new program
Thanks for the input, what do you mean by most of the time? Does the roush calibration have variances in terms of encryption or other security measures?

rANDIANDI

Cashfed5.0
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andi
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I just went through this issue with my 16 gt with roush supercharger. I had to have the factory flash a stock file tune onto my roush tune for me to lod any tunes from my SCT X4....

Sponsored

dbasql

http://djdenverb.com
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Roush 2016 RS3
Same her just flash back to stock (make sure you have that file)
Guys at SCT can help if needed., the are really helpful

sy1462

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
VMP loaded a stock tune on my SCT when they sent it to me... flashed it over the Roush tune, then uploaded new tune.

pwnall1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Ditto at what [MENTION=8551]yonson[/MENTION] said. The OEM strategy is missing pids/parameters for properly tuning for forced induction such as SIP/TIP. Some tuners hack away at the throttle map (poor partial throttle drivability) to allow forced induction operation with the OEM strategy where as most tuners will try to use the roush base map/strategy as a starting point for tuning for forced induction.

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
HP is the only tuner that I know which allows you to do that. Others rely on pulling the strategy code for them to work.

15RRGT

I am teh liquor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT PP TVS
VMP loaded a stock tune on my SCT when they sent it to me... flashed it over the Roush tune, then uploaded new tune.
How’s the VMP tune compared to the roush? Driving impressions, etc?

Sponsored

sy1462

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
How’s the VMP tune compared to the roush? Driving impressions, etc?
I ordered the 93 octane tune. It is definitely more aggressive than the Roush tune. Drivability is good, no issues so far other than shifts especially in sport mode were way to harsh for my liking (especially downshifts). They sent me an updated file for the shifts but I haven't had a chance to load/test it, the weather here in the midwest hasn't been friendly for a boosted car with summer tires. Datalogs look solid to me, zero knock.

Overall I would recommend VMP. I wish I had a baseline dyno, and an after dyno to know how much HP really increased.
Sponsored