Sponsored

Roush axle-back - Changed Performance?!!

mustang87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT RR - Manual
Guys with the amount of people with the Roush axle-back on this forum, I'm surprise no one commented on this.

I wanted the Corsa extreme. But over 1k for a catback was too much for me. The Roush axle-back was less than half the price. I went with the Roush and had it install couple of days ago. I love the sound for the price. Zero complaints on sound quality.

Here is the problem. I had my car for 20k miles before I put in the exhaust. The car is sluggish under 3k rpm. From 3k-3.5k rpm is where I feel that surge of torque, like a small turbo boost that throw you back in the seat. I have been driving around with the new axhaust for 2 days and notice that surge at 3k-3.5k is gone. The car seems to climb up the rpm faster but that nice boost is gone. Overall under 4k it feels like I lost some torque. I kind of regret not going with the cat back. Am I the only one that notice this?? Am I imagining things because the sound is distracting me?? I hope it's just my imagination, but I swear the car drives differently now. I'm happy with the sound but dissappointed at the same time.

My mechanic thought he would do me a favor and spot weld the exhaust so now I cannot return or sell it anymore.

Anybody dyno the car before and after the Roush exhaust? I need some reassurance...
Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
there shouldn't be a single bit of difference. prob in your head...

and why weld it? the clamps are bite so hard.

OP
OP

mustang87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT RR - Manual
It's clamped. But the mechanic thought he was being nice by spot welding for free of charge.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
there will be no change in performance in any way with the axle back.......

the sound just changes your perception,

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Zero performance impacts from this axle back. I have had mine for 8 months and no performance decrease or increase. Just more noise :)

Sponsored

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
The axle back is alot lighter than the stock mufflers, maybe that's why it seems to rev up quicker.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Change your intake air filter! Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery for half an hour. Reconnect everything and see if that helps.

JRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The axle back is alot lighter than the stock mufflers, maybe that's why it seems to rev up quicker.
The gains are not exciting. According to the Corsa web site The axle backs give you +4 HP +1 Torque -4 pounds. The cat back extreme gives you +5 HP +4 Torque and -12 pounds about equal to two gallons of fuel.

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
The gains are not exciting. According to the Corsa web site The axle backs give you +4 HP +1 Torque -4 pounds. The cat back extreme gives you +5 HP +4 Torque and -12 pounds about equal to two gallons of fuel.
I wasn't saying anything about gains, just said the abe is lighter than the stock mufflers. Possibly contributing to his rpm's rising faster due to lighter weight of the vehicle. Sounds absurd I know with just an axle back. Just a theory foe his butt dyno

Sponsored

JRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
I had corsa sports on my old ls3 camaro, awesome exhaust but they are heavy. You don't loose so much weight with corsa and the hp torque gain is same with any catback. 4 hp to the crank sounds reasonable!

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

JRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Terry Reeves, aka Beefcake, did a dyno comparison of a few cat backs about 5-7 months ago. They netted about 1-2 RWHP/TQ from back to back to back dyno testing.
I wouldn’t expect one straight through exhaust to be any better than another. Some of us may not like the sound of our stock exhausts but efficiency wise Ford has done a good job.
Sponsored