Rotten egg smell WOT

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Mustang
I have a 21 Mach 1 with 12,000 miles on it. Only mod is a resonator delete and add x-pipe. I run Chevron 91. Recently I've noticed a rotten egg type smell after WOT or driving in second gear at around 2300 RPMs (like rolling thru traffic jam or parking lot). Check engine light has not come on. I used the search on this forum and saw various related posts, but nothing was definitive like someone took their car with similar symptoms to a dealer and X was done/diagnosed. So, posting now to see if I can get a more definitive determination as to what I am smelling to help me with next steps, including if deleting the resonator and adding an x-pipe could be the problem. Thanks all for any feedback or suggestions.
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Probably your cats. Search cat over temp protection. I used to get that smell after hard 3rd gear pulls. Totally normal.

OP
OP
MachNroll

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Mustang
Probably your cats. Search cat over temp protection. I used to get that smell after hard 3rd gear pulls. Totally normal.
Thank you for the info... never heard of COT protection being called this. Learned something new today... I just have been reading alot about rotten egg/sulfur equals fried cats.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Thank you for the info... never heard of COT protection being called this. Learned something new today... I just have been reading alot about rotten egg/sulfur equals fried cats.
If your not boosted you haven't fried your cats but I can see where the worry would come in after searching the forums! Before I went boost when anyone walked in my garage after I got home they always asked "why's it smell like burn rubber and rotten eggs in here?" Well obviously it's because I drive the mustang the way it was designed to be driven! Fyi I have almost 75k miles on my car now and it runs like a champ. Enjoy it, drive it hard and don't sweat the sounds or smells it makes sometimes. Those things can drive you crazy.

OP
OP
MachNroll

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Mustang
If your not boosted you haven't fried your cats but I can see where the worry would come in after searching the forums! Before I went boost when anyone walked in my garage after I got home they always asked "why's it smell like burn rubber and rotten eggs in here?" Well obviously it's because I drive the mustang the way it was designed to be driven! Fyi I have almost 75k miles on my car now and it runs like a champ. Enjoy it, drive it hard and don't sweat the sounds or smells it makes sometimes. Those things can drive you crazy.
Thanks! I took it to the dealer this morning for a looksee... all aok. There is a bulletin of some sort via Ford that addresses this issue. Common for these cars when new or newish to have an odor from the cats until they are seasoned/really broken in. :)
Sponsored