Sponsored

Rotten Egg Smell while driving over 4500 rpm

Jlfierros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well... today I began to notice a rotten egg smell inside my vehicle while driving on the freeway on my way to work. I thought it might just be something outside causing this. I began to play a little bit with the throttle but punching it and hitting 5,000 rpm. Every time i did that the smell will come back. arived I arrived at my work parking structure , I reeved my engine a couple times towards 4k rpm. Went out back and got my nose near the exhaust tip and i got this rotten egg/ sulfur type smell. I own a 2015 mustang with a 3.7L engine

At this point i don't know what to do because i just past 36,000 miles. I have complained to the dealership about this problem when my check engine light came on about a month ago. They stated that the problem was being caused by a bad canister valve. Which they replaced. I read quickly the warranty document that Ford provides and it states that exhaust systems are covered for 8yrs, 80k miles. I don't know if the power train warranty could potentially help me out in this case as well.

If anyone has had this issue with their pony or any ford vehicle that can give me some good guidance, i will appreciate it. Im afraid of going to the dealership and getting charge 200 bucks for inspections and possibly more money to repair my car since i am out of bumper to bumper warranty. Because lets me honest, the dealer is in business to make money.
Sponsored

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Challenger Scat Pack
Did some kids throw one of these in your car? Never heard of this issue before.
IMG_0084.JPG

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Cat's have a distinct odor that some might call rotten eggs, it's pretty normal.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Not sure this is normal ... sounds like you're catalytic converter is on the way out &/or your AFR is off ... which may eventually lead to the same result (cat shot).

OP
OP
Jlfierros

Jlfierros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
[MENTION=20926]Wally[/MENTION], I honestly wish it would be that. At least i have an answer to the problem.

The reason for my concern is that my car never ever had that smell even after long road trips going a minimum of 80 mph.

Sponsored

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I've noticed this on my GT when I get on it while passing or accelerating hard. I've only got 5000 miles on the GT.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Thanks. I need to take it in for an annual inspection and I'll have them check it out.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I am gonna say just exhaust gas being sucked back into the car. I have had that happen on both of my vehicles when I drive them hard and the stop at the light.

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
Having a slight rotten egg smell coming from your exhaust after hard driving is completely normal(especially with AC on). Extremely strong and constant smell under any driving condition, not normal.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
yeah im s/c and if i get on her alot i get a slight smell . it goes away after normal driving.but i only slightly smell it when im on it alot . 70 80 90 mph steady driving shes a clean as a whistle
Sponsored