Sponsored

Rotational squeak/squeal from under the car?

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
I am not sure what is causing it, but it's faint enough that it can only be heard in a quiet garage (sound bouncing off of the wall) and only immediately after shutting the car off.
The sound is clearly rotational, meaning it's squeaking or squealing once per revolution. It happens if the car is stationary, or after just driving into the garage. I suspected that it was the drive shaft coming to a stop at first, because I would only hear it right after pulling into the garage and shutting the car off, but the other day I was removing window tint and had the car idling in the garage for a few minutes for the AC, and the sound was there after shutting it off without moving the car.

So the question is, what is spinning that could be making this noise while the car is stationary and in neutral with the handbrake engaged. A belt? Something in the transmission? Something internal?
2015 GT Premium with the 6MT. Everything is stock and original. 27k miles.

Dealership could not reproduce it because it's too noisy everywhere there.

I will update this with a video soon if my phone microphone can capture it.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
dogiebitt

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Bump. Anyone have any ideas?

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Belt would be my first guess. Try spraying some "belt stop squeak" or even some WD40 or something on the belt while its running and see if it lessens/worsens/changes.

GritzNGravy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Probably the cooling fans on the radiator. They spin for a couple seconds after the car is off even unpowered, just from momentum. They squeak a little bit. Can only hear them just when the car is shut off. Open your hood and spin the fans with your hands, probably hear them squeak. All of them do it. Ive remember some forum members getting them replaced cause of that, but the new ones did the same thing.
Sponsored