Rotating staggered tires

Spodie5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
I have staggered tires and was wondering what to do for rotation. Since the back tires are much wider than the fronts, you can only go side to side. My question is do you have to unmount the tires and have them remounted on the opposite side? I read that must be done if the tires are directional. I have Nitto 555 R2s on the rear. Can anyone confirm they must be unmounted? Thanks for any help you can provide
Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Yes, if they're directional, you would need to dismount, remount, and rebalance them to rotate them. It seems like you would eat up any savings from evening out the wear in the cost of swap/balance every several thousand miles, not to mention giving the tire shop that many more opportunities to scar your wheels.

The PS4S tires on my summer setup are staggered, but the tires are inside/outside instead of directional, so they can swap side to side.

My winters are directional, so they just get rotated front-to-back every time (I have a square winter setup, instead of staggered).

OP
OP
Spodie5.0

Spodie5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Thank you. I really appreciate the info. I was thinking the same thing about them scarring the wheels. Lol
Sponsored