Road & Track chimes in on Weight Gain!

C00KIE M0NSTER

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
  • Banned
http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/this-is-why-the-2015-ford-mustang-will-be-heavier

2015 Mustang GT Premium: 250 lbs gained
2015 Mustang GT Base: 170 lbs gained
2015 Mustang Ecoboost & V6: 50-70 lbs gained

Word has it the 2015 Ford Mustang won’t be lighter than its predecessor. The added complexity of the independent rear suspension will add pounds to the car’s curb weight, but that's not all that's going on here.

The 2015 Mustang was also engineered to meet harsher roof-crush standards, so that reinforced structure also adds pounds to the scales. How much more weight can we really expect to see?

While Autoblog and Steeda Auto claim the car will gain some 300 pounds, an insider familiar with the project has confirmed that number is an exaggeration. The Mustang GT Premium, the heaviest possible trim package, will top out at roughly 250 pounds heavier than the 2014 car.

Volume models equipped with a V6 or the EcoBoost turbocharged four-cylinder engine are likely to be around 50 to 70 pounds heavier than this year’s model, while a base GT will gain around 170 pounds.

Why not attack mass in the pony car the same way Ford did with the new F-150? Simple: the F-150 does so much volume, is such a profit center, and has so much to gain in terms of fleet fuel economy through weight reduction, that the massive investment Ford put into making the truck lighter was a no-brainer. The Mustang, while popular, doesn't have volumes to justify a similar investment. That would have just made the 2015 car a lot more expensive, which is antithetical to the whole pony car idea.

The added weight that's engineered into the new Mustang could also explain why the Shelby GT350 is, according to our sources, going with a downsized, naturally aspirated engine, and may make limited use of carbon fiber. Look for the SVT guys to attack unsprung weight with a vengeance in that car, too. Ford isn’t trying to make it a featherweight. The company’s just making sure it doesn’t lose too much ground when it rolls across the scales.
Sponsored

OP
OP

C00KIE M0NSTER

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
  • Banned

GTsquid

Seriously man, if that thread taught us anything it is not to trust any of these rumors. R&T might be on to something more credible but I think we have all been jerked around enough.

Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
The Steeda thread is too out of control for any real conversation. The Steeda rumor was fabricated by Steeda.

Road and Track is claiming to know a "real insider" who is giving "real" information on the 2015 Mustang weight.

I created this thread to talk about "real" weight rumors.

talk about "real" weight rumors...real...rumors:gossip:...this don't make no sense....

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I agree with GTsquid on this one. All through out the months we've heard rumors based off of insider info and how much of it really came true?

I do understand where your coming from though Cookiemonster. But unfortunately the steeda article now overshadows any reasonable discussion of the roadandtrack article

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Doesn't matter really, its going to weight more. The GT PP loaded up will be a fat porker.

probably around 3950-4k pounds. That extra HP increase will be washed away.

My guess ..4.5 seconds 0-60mph and about the same ET times as the current GT..just a guess though.

It will gain a more comfy and plush ride and handle better. Looks are nice, but I buy cars for increases in performance.

GM could be smelling blood on the street soon.

PowerUp

Threads
Reaction score
Seriously man, if that thread taught us anything it is not to trust any of these rumors. R&T might be on to something more credible but I think we have all been jerked around enough.
...and Ford could end all this by simply revealing the true weights. But they're complicit in this, now. "The only bad publicity is NO publicity..."

GTsquid

Doesn't matter really, its going to weight more. The GT PP loaded up will be a fat porker.

probably around 3950-4k pounds. That extra HP increase will be washed away.

My guess ..4.5 seconds 0-60mph and about the same ET times as the current GT..just a guess though.

It will gain a more comfy and plush ride and handle better. Looks are nice, but I buy cars for increases in performance.

GM could be smelling blood on the street soon.
And you know this, how?

Sponsored

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
If GM makes a decent looking camaro and IS lighter than my 13 and faster, My 13 is going up for sale. Not looking good however for the s550 with all these rumors atm...this is reminding me of 1993-1994 all over again..

Backorder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan...:-(
I know the premium adds more goodies, but how many more goodies and weight is added in the 2015 premium vs the 2014 premium? I understand the car will weigh more with more trim, what I don't understand is why adding premium makes it go 250 lbs more than last years premium compared to the 170 the base gains and the 50 the v6 gains...

I just don't understand why more weight is added with different trims...is there that much extra added to the gt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTsquid

...and Ford could end all this by simply revealing the true weights. But they're complicit in this, now. "The only bad publicity is NO publicity..."
So all manufacturers should release info before its ready because other people decided to start false rumors?

What a truly ridiculous statement.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
And you know this, how?

I think he is just making a point that this is just a rumor and his guess is as good as anybody elses.

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
And you know this, how?

It's just my guess bro. New platform, not enough weight savings built in with a lot of new parts and safety features and it all adds up.
Sponsored