Sponsored

Road Racers - Weight savings and mods

Sb31767

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby gt350r w electronics. DIB w White Stripes
Safety should be priority one. Car is fast enough unless you have been racing for years. No one wants to hear it but scca legal roll bar and racing harness is the smart play.
Outside that brakes and fluid next on the list
Last extra sets of tires and lots of track weekends. Once your maxed in lap times then change up suspension. In a year likely many upgrades will come out for race cars to help at that time
Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Safety should be priority one. Car is fast enough unless you have been racing for years. No one wants to hear it but scca legal roll bar and racing harness is the smart play.
Outside that brakes and fluid next on the list
Last extra sets of tires and lots of track weekends. Once your maxed in lap times then change up suspension. In a year likely many upgrades will come out for race cars to help at that time
:cheers:

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
Car is fast enough unless you have been racing for years.
Totally. It's way more car than 99.99% of people on this forum will ever be able to handle.

You want the car to go faster, money is best spent to improve the nut between the seat and the steering wheel [emoji6]

OP
OP
autobahnGT350

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Totally. It's way more car than 99.99% of people on this forum will ever be able to handle.

You want the car to go faster, money is best spent to improve the nut between the seat and the steering wheel [emoji6]

I agree. I will add to the 5799 laps I have accumulated on European race tracks to increase my skills even more. How many track laps have you done, or anyone else for that matter? I mean racing head to head with other cars hell bent to win a race?

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
I agree. I will add to the 5799 laps I have accumulated on European race tracks to increase my skills even more. How many track laps have you done, or anyone else for that matter? I mean racing head to head with other cars hell bent to win a race?
Wow now I feel really intimidated. You win, Ayrton!

Enjoy your heated cooled seats and the navigator on your badass weight-reduced track car.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Here we go another thread turning into a cock measuring contest..don't bother I win..;)

OP
OP
autobahnGT350

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Wow now I feel really intimidated. You win, Ayrton!

Enjoy your heated cooled seats and the navigator on your badass weight-reduced track car.
I am sure we will all have a great time at the track, no matter what trim the car has. Obviously, the skills of the driver play a large factor in how the car will react or handle on a track, despite whatever mods are on the car. Let's just all have fun and see what plays out in terms of track times, handling, performance over a period of time.

As with all performance cars we will start to see trends on how the car handles and what it's direct competitors are. I know I was preemptive in asking about what mods to do in the beginning, but, my experiences, both on the track and in the military, the famous 5P's, taught me to always prepare for and anticipate for issues. That's just me.

I know this community (Ford Mustang) is somewhat different than the Corvette community; however, fundamentally, we are all here to have fun, enjoy life, learn from each other, and not be such scrooges, life is way to short to worry about things. Get a life, live a life!:cheers:

OP
OP
autobahnGT350

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Here we go another thread turning into a cock measuring contest..don't bother I win..;)

Congrats! :cheers:

Man, I can't wait to start to see track times and videos of these car in action. That will be fun.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Weight reduction doesn't hurt IMO, so no need to wait on that, as long as one is happy spending money on small gains. It is a good way to start modding with minimal risk of messing something up. Battery and wheels are probably the best starting points.

Safety improvements are always tricky because the car is designed to work as a system. The seats, seat belts, airbags, and crumple zones all work together together to minimize injury. Adding a roll bar and harnesses reduce energy dissipation and would require the addition of a HANS to prevent neck injury. At that point the car can lose much of its street capability.

IMO, if you plan to street the car, you should probably not add a harness or roll cage, and instead rely on the factory safety systems. If you want to add the harness, then it probably requires the additional components to complete a more "race" style safety system.

I'm still not sure exactly how I'll configure my GT350 for dual use on the street and at track days.

-T

OP
OP
autobahnGT350

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
[MENTION=7132]Trackaholic[/MENTION],

Great response. Thanks. I know that the anticipation of waiting and eventfully getting to a track is driving the likes of us crazy. Even if I don't do anything to the car,as is pretty darn good.

Yeah, the Roll and harness bar would take away from street ability. I guess we need to determine which direction we want to swing towards more.

Sponsored

350Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CY GT350 Track
So I haven't gotten mine yet, but I want to put a 5/6pt harness in so I can track it. After racing I can't imaging going on a track without my Hans. It would feel like driving without a seatbelt or worse. Has anyone figured out a good mounting? My last/current fun car had it built in.

Seems as though we have a fair amount of track folks with various levels of experience up to and including racing so would really like to see some options. I will explore when I get mine.

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
350Dude

If you want a full 5/6 point harness, I understand that you need a roll bar (5 point harness will not allow you to move down to prevent head injury). I am pondering the same options for my R, which will be only for track use.

Let me know if you need some track time in Georgia. I am a member at Atlanta Motorsports Park (Dawsonville) and hope to connect with numerous GT350 owners in time. :cheers:

350Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CY GT350 Track
Thanks and I have seen from another forum that someone already has a bar in their R to support belts. Looked pretty good.

I will only take the car out a few times to enjoy it and see what it will do, but I always push pretty hard so I like to have the equipment in place. Not that I wouldn't put it in if I didn't push hard. Plenty of dead bodies from people having a failure at T10 of RA(road atlanta) and planting it in a wall so even if you take it easy you can still have a major hit over 100mph.

I race with NASA in the SE and have quite a few friends that go to AMP. I will take you up on it if I make it up there. I live in Savannah area.

350Dude

If you want a full 5/6 point harness, I understand that you need a roll bar (5 point harness will not allow you to move down to prevent head injury). I am pondering the same options for my R, which will be only for track use.

Let me know if you need some track time in Georgia. I am a member at Atlanta Motorsports Park (Dawsonville) and hope to connect with numerous GT350 owners in time. :cheers:

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks and I have seen from another forum that someone already has a bar in their R to support belts. Looked pretty good.

I will only take the car out a few times to enjoy it and see what it will do, but I always push pretty hard so I like to have the equipment in place. Not that I wouldn't put it in if I didn't push hard. Plenty of dead bodies from people having a failure at T10 of RA(road atlanta) and planting it in a wall so even if you take it easy you can still have a major hit over 100mph.

I race with NASA in the SE and have quite a few friends that go to AMP. I will take you up on it if I make it up there. I live in Savannah area.
Interesting to hear you say this. Most of the bad wrecks I've seen are at 12 (poor line @ 11 and/or loss of adhesion) and 1. I don't recall anything horrible at 10a, although I suppose that would potentially be the worst place (fastest) to have a complete braking failure.

@tdzee - interesting to hear your feedback on the GT350 @ AMP. I almost bought a membership, but decided I wouldn't use it enough. Good technical track, but I still prefer the stretched lines @ RA. Maybe its just a seat time difference.

350Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CY GT350 Track
I suppose they are all over, just recall a mustang hitting the wall in 10 this past season and the driver dying. No PSE that I was aware of. I missed that event, thankfully.

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/road-atlanta-track-day-driver-killed-080515

I hit the wall at 1 once and I've spun in the rain coming down towards 12. Didn't hit anything on 12 just a joy ride. Learned a valuable lesson about painted curbing on that ride. All good fun. ;)

Interesting to hear you say this. Most of the bad wrecks I've seen are at 12 (poor line @ 11 and/or loss of adhesion) and 1. I don't recall anything horrible at 10a, although I suppose that would potentially be the worst place (fastest) to have a complete braking failure.

@tdzee - interesting to hear your feedback on the GT350 @ AMP. I almost bought a membership, but decided I wouldn't use it enough. Good technical track, but I still prefer the stretched lines @ RA. Maybe its just a seat time difference.
Sponsored