Sponsored

Road and Track Article on the PP2 - It's not a track car

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
No, no they're not. Please, just stop. You've been banging on about your imaginary PP3 for several pages now, and it's not financially feasible. It doesn't happen for $8,500
Already proved you wrong....
Going aftermarket (home brew PP3) you get things that owners of PP2 can also UPGRADE to. When I get my PP2 I am upgrading the radiator and adding cooling (mishimoto)... and most likely the GT350 upgrade kit...

That is $5k+ on top of my PP2 mustang.

I am personally getting PP2 for only 2 reason, MagneRide (& squared wheels). Which is better for comfort (on Wayne Country roads) and is not a requirement for a track-only purposed car.
Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
I am personally getting PP2 for only 2 reason, MagneRide (& squared wheels). Which is better for comfort (on Wayne Country roads) and is not a requirement for a track-only purposed car.
The wheels aren't squared. The tires may be the same size but it's not a square setup. You can't...or maybe shouldn't be rotating front and back.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The wheels aren't squared. The tires may be the same size but it's not a square setup. You can't...or maybe shouldn't be rotating front and back.

And I quote (Nigel Tufnel): "Now, that is just nitpicking, isn't it..?"

these-go-to-eleven-2.jpg

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And I quote (Nigel Tufnel): "Now, that is just nitpicking, isn't it..?"
I was just stating a fact. I would prefer a true square setup. I rotate my current track tires all the time getting the most life out of them as possible. Since I currently use take off slicks I can even flip them on the wheel if need be.It wouldn't stop me from buying the car. My debate, if I get a new car at all, is PP2 or PP1 with 10 speed auto.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If you're just going to get a set of tires for track use you can do it for under $2000. $1000 wheels and Pirelli take off slicks for $600.
Only $1k for four 11" wide wheels??? Seems to me it'd be a waste of time chasing PP2-level performance with anything narrower.

Let's at least keep the track-intended tires at some DOT R-comp level. As soon as you let take-off slicks in, that becomes a legitimate upgrade for the PP2 as well.

Norm

Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only $1k for four 11" wide wheels??? Seems to me it'd be a waste of time chasing PP2-level performance with anything narrower.

Let's at least keep the track-intended tires at some DOT R-comp level. As soon as you let take-off slicks in, that becomes a legitimate upgrade for the PP2 as well.

Norm
Yep. https://lmr.com/item/SVE-177912/mustang-sve-r350-wheel-black-19x11-05-17

I'm not trying to make the argument on building something to compete with PP2 exclusively. I'm just trying to say there are options out there. I've seen people stuff their track wheels and tires into trunk, back seat even front seat to run separate track tires. I've also seen people put a hitch on their track day car and pull a small trailer with track wheels and tires. I had people hauling mine for a year and a half before I bought a car hauler. It just depends on how far you want to go to play on track.

If I bought a PP2 I'd buy a second set of wheels and tires and swap with the SC2's and run the stock wheels with street tires and the second set of wheels for track use with the SC2's. If I found I needed a diff cooler, I'd add that as well. Just be glad there are options.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Oh ok. You don't agree so now we all must change our minds.:like:
No, but making an assumption that Ford made decisions regarding the PP2 option based on fear that it might outperform a same model-year GT350 is unfounded. It's not based on any real knowledge or corporate insight. Until there is actual evidence that anyone at Ford feared cannibalizing GT350 sales with a PP2 package on the GT, it's just internet conjecture and not worth repeating. IMO, of course. If you have any verifiable information that might prove that it was an actual concern, please share.

pietran30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No, but making an assumption that Ford made decisions regarding the PP2 option based on fear that it might outperform a same model-year GT350 is unfounded. It's not based on any real knowledge or corporate insight. Until there is actual evidence that anyone at Ford feared cannibalizing GT350 sales with a PP2 package on the GT, it's just internet conjecture and not worth repeating. IMO, of course. If you have any verifiable information that might prove that it was an actual concern, please share.
Haha all good man, just being snarky. That being said, there's literally no incentive for Ford to create a GT that can come close to the performance of the GT350 without taking sales away. That would be the worst business decision ever unless they were done producing GT350s... Which they are not.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Haha all good man, just being snarky. That being said, there's literally no incentive for Ford to create a GT that can come close to the performance of the GT350 without taking sales away. That would be the worst business decision ever unless they were done producing GT350s... Which they are not.
I don't agree. The character of the 5.2, the unique body work and the name alone would supply the difference needed to bump the price up the 10-15k needed. Not to mentioned the associated resale value disparity vs a "normal" GT and as we will see the GT PP2 will follow the "normal" GT resale curve much more so than the GT350 curve.

That isn't to take anything from the PP2, its a great package.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Already proved you wrong....
Going aftermarket (home brew PP3) you get things that owners of PP2 can also UPGRADE to. When I get my PP2 I am upgrading the radiator and adding cooling (mishimoto)... and most likely the GT350 upgrade kit...

That is $5k+ on top of my PP2 mustang.

You've proven nothing except that you don't really understand everything that is including in PP1 & PP2 cars. You left out tons and tons of items, and then completely ignored the labor to install them. It would cost 2-3 times the MSRP to create a PP2 car from a base GT, and that's just guessing on the low side.

Please....you've stated your point. You've made your opinions loud and clear. It's enough now, we get your perspective.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't agree. The character of the 5.2, the unique body work and the name alone would supply the difference needed to bump the price up the 10-15k needed. Not to mentioned the associated resale value disparity vs a "normal" GT and as we will see the GT PP2 will follow the "normal" GT resale curve much more so than the GT350 curve.
Plus you get a better transmission and better brakes. The GT350 is still a worthwhile upgrade for sure.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
A few things to add here:

First things first, yes, it would have been great if ford would have added at least a diff cooler. Yes, I also think they neglected it because the numbers were getting close to the GT350 (or exceeding) and they had to give customers a reason to still spend $15k extra for it, so they took away from the PP2 to make the GT350 the more "track focused" car.

However, I think Ford could have gotten away with just using a higher viscosity trans and diff fluid in the PP2 and been more than fine. And I also wish that they would communicate to editors that there are 2 separate warnings for diff temp (first warning simply being for higher than usual temps, second warning being exceeding allowances) and it's not often that people hit the more extreme temp warning. Like many others have said, these cars can easily be tracked for a 20 minute session without going into limp mode.

The MT-82 doesn't need any coolers. Let's get that out of the way now. The Boss 302 LS with an MT-82 did just fine and put down great lap times without any sort of trans heat exchanger. The Camaro and GT350 do need them because, as previously stated, the trans' in those cars have a more narrow casing and very little in the way of integrated cooling (such as cooling fins).

and no, you can't spend $6500 on a base mustang and end up with a PP2 outperformer without compromises. lets do just a quick breakdown:
19x11 wheels/305 MPSC2 tires - about $3100, and that's with a conservatively priced aftermarket wheel and without shipping/installation. all said and done, probably about $3350, and if you want OEM PP2 wheels, you're looking at AT LEAST $4k all said and done
Spacers to make the aforementioned wheels fit, extended studs, and PP hubs- about $700
FP Track Suspension kit (includes dampers, springs, sway bars, and end links similar to PP2) - $1350, and you don't get magride
Steeda front splitter - $300, and you'd also need a PP chin spoiler (about $200) and PP belly pan (also about $200)
Brakes: Brand new calipers, pads, rotors, and master cylinder, about $1500
PP gauges, wiring, dash kit - about $300

Right there, you're already at $7650, and we haven't even gotten to chassis tuning (K member, K brace, strut tower brace), ABS tuning, 3:73 TORSEN rear end, oil coolers, cost of shipping, cost of installation, etc. and this is coming from someone who thought you COULD dump that money into making it a better car and decided to pass on the package, instead opting for 401A and Recaros. PP2 is a bargain, and while it may not last on track quite as long as a 1LE, it'll still put down a 20 minute session just fine. If adding a $1000 cooler is really a deal breaker for you, just be honest and say you never truly considered a mustang.
If by "narrow casing" you are speaking about how tight the case is to the internal gears in the TR3160, than OK. But you can't lump that in so generally, as the MT82 is just as bad. Just as tight. Just as little fluid capacity. You cannot translate that to the TR6060, though. So, be careful with that blanket statement. In relation to the cooling fins, maybe Tremec never integrated them into their cases because their transmissions don't run as hot as the Getrag. Read that carefully. I'm not saying the TR3160 wont run hot, needing a cooler, especially on something that is revving to 8,000 RPM. I'm saying, same car, the difference being the transmission, don't be surprised if the Tremec doesn't run as hot as the Getrag. Why isn't the Getrag unit used in racing and the Tremecs are? Don't get me wrong, I like the Getrag, for a "sport" transmission. There is a good design intent there, but the execution isn't a "performance" transmission.

The PP2 is an interesting package. Personally and technically, I don't see the point. From a business point, I get it. Those are some sweet wheels!

I will say, I guarantee you, for $6,500, you can put together a PP2 [track] outperformer from a base car. Again, read that carefully.

A lot of you guys are getting pretty divided amongst each other. Try to keep an open mind here.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Plus you get a better transmission and better brakes. The GT350 is still a worthwhile upgrade for sure.
100%.

The GT350, even if the PP2 had the coolers, brakes, etc from the Shelby, would still keep the majority of it's sales. The look, sound and "special-ness" is not something the PP2 will carry with it. Those three things are what make the GT350 and give it the sales it has.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
But the stock PP2 isn't as track-ready as a base Mustang GT, that you spend $8,500 on making your own PP3 (the difference between a base GT and a PP2). The PP2 does not come with cooling... where-as a homebrew PP3 can/will. In a PP3 you are using GT350 knuckles, driveshafts, etc. (see post #104)

Again, Nobody is trying to build a PP2, they are making a MORE capable track car, for less or about the same.
Your suggestion of a "homebrew PP3" involves spending $4500 on brakes, which doesn't even leave enough left over for wheels and tires, the MOST SIGNIFICANT FACTOR in a car's cornering ability.

IMO, the only time you buy a base to create a track car, is if you know you are going to dump real cash in to making something next level. You will generally be behind trying to beat the value, durability, and support of an OEM package.
This is exactly the point. You aren't going to get a well rounded, durable, highly capable car like the PP2 for $6500 in the aftermarket. The only reason to build from a base GT is if, like myself, you plan on blowing $5k on coilovers, $3k on lightweight wheels and slicks, $4500 on a Big Brake kit, full aero, etc.

Can we stop with all this “fear of stepping on the GT350’s toes” stuff. I don’t agree that decisions about the PP2 were made for fear of performance too close to the GT350 for less money.
No, we won't stop with it, because that's the only logical reason to neuter a car like this. The fact that they had to refresh the 2019 GT350 to "broaden the gap between the GT350 and PP2" is evidence of this. They don't want the PP2 to be stepping on the toes of their $15k profit, but they also don't want to continuously be embarrassed by GM

On this one point alone . . . you should probably be working with the difference between buying 19x11's and PSC2's for the base car and getting a set of more DD-suitable set of wheels and tires for the PP2 (so you can save the PSC2's for what they're best at instead of wearing out/heat-cycling them out in mundane street driving).

Suddenly that $4k looks more like $1000 - $1500 (or the $3350 more like $600 - $700) assuming that you're not going to shop at the bargain basement level for a PP2's second set of wheels & tires.
If you're buying a PP2 as a daily driver, you're buying it for the wrong reason. MPSC2s are just fine for occasional sunday drives and track days.

Saying you can't throw $8,500 at a base 18 GT manual and get it faster around a track is ignorant. Of course it won't have every single option the PP2 has, that's not the argument.
That's not the argument here. Of course you can throw slicks and an E85 tune on a base mustang and MAYBE turn 1 faster lap than a PP2. But the argument isn't about what would be faster, the argument is about what is the better bargain. I can guarantee you that a base GT won't last a full session, let alone a full lap, on slicks being pushed to its limits. The brakes are subpar, the hubs won't handle the crazy Gs from slicks, and you also have to remember, your car won't be street legal anymore, so now we're also talking about investing in a tow rig and a trailer. Suddenly, that $6500 for PP2 + $1000 for a diff cooler doesn't seem to sound all that bad

The references to the GT350 are misplaced. One comes with all the GT350 suspension, GT350R tires, and 50ish less hp. I can believe it'd be close to a GT350 on MPSS, but that's a pointless argument. Fun without a doubt as it rationalizes the PP2 but for all out speed around a track the GT350 is the better car.
They absolutely aren't misplaced. It's not on GT350 suspension, its custom tailored. 50hp difference doesn't matter between these 2 cars because of how they make power... the GTs gearing benefit makes up for the HP difference, which leaves not much of an acceleration defecit. Hell, an automatic GT will run side by side with a GT350, what makes you think that the manual would be so significantly slower? And how is comparing 2 factory cars on factory tires a pointless argument? If you have to dump extra money into an already significantly more expensive car to be faster, you've already lost
Sponsored