Road and Track Article on the PP2 - It's not a track car

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
There isn't, GT350s are the same way. That's why a SUPER common first mod in the GT350 road racing community is caster/camber plates
Not quite right. The GT350/GT350R have corrected/raised front roll centers from extended ball joints vs the GT. This allows them to run less static camber at the track (plates and added camber still needed for serious use though). It also improves steering response.
Sponsored

Darkhorse18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Bought mine to track and drag race. But first comes suspension and some other upgrades before the pro charger.

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
I just bought this, and it's being installed now. A Full Tilt Boogy Rear diff cooler picture here..Looks great and should do the trick.
FT 570 - S550 Diff Cooler Kit (1).jpg

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
The Mustang placed poorly because its performance on track was due to its tires. In the hands of Randy P, the car performed well, as you expect an overall good car with 'cheater' tires to do well on track with a pro behind the wheel.

In the hands of the rest of the panel, they probably felt that other cars would have produced similar 'style' results if they had cup2 tires on them. It didn't do well in a street test either. Given what the chassis is capable of (in GT350 and 350R form), they were even less impressed. Mustang paid for it with a DLF (Dead last finish)

The Kia over performed for MT, and MT admitted it. This is curious, and I went to watch the Car & Driver lightning lap on both cars (Kia Stinger GT and Mustang GT PP2). LL doesn't care about street, doesn't have a 'pro' driver, and is more objective test. Lap times, and vehicle price...thats it. Mustang did well. Best Mustang NOT a GT350R. Made the '13 GT500 look like crap.

Kia...not so much. One lap and it went off track. Brakes failed mid lap on first attempt. Had to call Kia and ask them to refit car with better brakes. Which apparently they did. Car finished, but lap time wasn't that great. VIR isn't LS. I'm not saying that the Kia performance at MT BDC would translate to C&D LL. However...the Kia was also not stock. They put some better brake pads on it, after requesting it from Kia.

Which makes me wonder....which ran first? BDC or LL? What kind of tires did the Kia have at BDC? What kind of brakes? LS isn't as fast as VIR, but also C&D didn't have a pro driver. I suspect that BCD followed the LL, and that Kia supplied a 'modified' Stinger GT with better brakes and possibly better tires than it comes with in stock form.

Need to research this.

Edit: Kia Stinger GT comes standard with Michelin Pilot Sport tires and 'brembos'. So maybe It wasn't doctored after all?
I have driven the Kia Stinger and is a great 4 door sedan, and that's it. Can you put 15-20K in the car and make it better yes....But there is no way in HELL that car is a better drivers car than a PP2....They are or were, high as a kite when they drove the Kia if that's the case. The PP2 is a special car. I have had both the 2016 R and the 2019 GT 2 and they are so close driving wise, it's not even funny. Truth be told I like the PP2 better. I love the engine better, more things you can do with it, and stronger. The people owning an R now will disagree, and that's okay they have 30K or more (in some cases) over in this car....not to brag or complain, but I will have about 70K when I'm finished, and an R will not come close this it when done. And that's less than an MSRP deal on an R......another thing I love about the PP2..you can personize the car. You would not do all this to an R you keep it stock for the most part...just saying.....

Darkhorse18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I have driven the Kia Stinger and is a great 4 door sedan, and that's it. Can you put 15-20K in the car and make it better yes....But there is no way in HELL that car is a better drivers car than a PP2....They are or were, high as a kite when they drove the Kia if that's the case. The PP2 is a special car. I have had both the 2016 R and the 2019 GT 2 and they are so close driving wise, it's not even funny. Truth be told I like the PP2 better. I love the engine better, more things you can do with it, and stronger. The people owning an R now will disagree, and that's okay they have 30K or more (in some cases) over in this car....not to brag or complain, but I will have about 70K when I'm finished, and an R will not come close this it when done. And that's less than an MSRP deal on an R......another thing I love about the PP2..you can personize the car. You would not do all this to an R you keep it stock for the most part...just saying.....
I
I agree 100%. I wish I would have bought my gt performance first and saved the money I wasted but still cheaper to dump the 350 than keep it. Nice how dealers won’t let you test drive the 350. Seems like a scam?

Sponsored

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Where did you purchase this from. I am interested in getting it also.
I bought it at Full Tilt Boogie Racing. Ask for Bruce, that was my contact guy very knowledgeable and nice. Here is the email address. Starwood said the instructions on install were the best they have seen in a long time.. Took them about 2 hours. [email protected]

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Maybe you can be reimbursed for the money spent with Baron’s class action lawsuit he is working on.
LOL Poor Baron.........LOL where is he? I do not mean to add fuel to the fire of love on this guy but I can not help myself.

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
A few more photos from today's peek at the progress. My hood came in from Shelby Super snake....amazed at the quality of the gel-coat...looks good enough to put on as is.. Got some of the Steeda parts on as well (wheel hop)
20181120_140031.jpg
20181120_140101.jpg
20181120_140146.jpg
20181120_140504 (1).jpg

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not quite right. The GT350/GT350R have corrected/raised front roll centers from extended ball joints vs the GT. This allows them to run less static camber at the track (plates and added camber still needed for serious use though). It also improves steering response.
Ahhh, forgot the ball joints were different. Thanks for clarifying!
Sponsored