Sponsored

Rev9 Stainless Exhaust

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Everyone needs to experience the sweet southern swamp heat at least 2 times in their lives.
Sponsored

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Actually any more than $348 is grossly over priced. You can buy Magna Flow stainless mufflers retail for $65 each and 20' of stainless tubing for $40. That's retail so the actual cost is much less so how does Magna Flow justify $800 for a cat back? It's called price gouging.

The system is likely 409 stainless which is the same stuff the factory system is made of. It may get some surface rust but will last the life of the car.
No price gouging is when you have a monopoly on goods that are not readily available either due to shortages or some other supply shock so you high up the prices abnormally higher than what they normally run or ran on the market or what would normally be considered a fair price. This is a free market and they can charge whatever they want for the parts, labor, development of their products. When you pay $800 for a cat back its usually better materials (304 stainless) mandrel bent, better welds etc. And you are paying a little overhead for name and quality of the product.

You buy a Dynomax cat back you get standard bends, aluminized steel, standard packed mufflers, and a 1 year warranty. You are paying about $350, as opposed to the above mentioned. Borla, Magnaflow, Corsa etc. tend to have higher quality better tech and thats what you pay for.

Try to by some RAM modules or good gaming video card right now for a decent price, now there is some gouging going on there =)

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
I am wondering which 1 of these guys is really going to post up pics and give a review of the Rev 9 CB when they get it and realize what they paid for ...

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
When you pay $800 for a cat back its usually better materials (304 stainless) mandrel bent, better welds etc.
According to the seller at Amazon the Rev9 system is 304 stainless. Easy to confirm with a magnet.

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
Alright, installed the exhaust. It went pretty smoothly. Overall fit is satisfying. My only complaint was that they gave me 3 large and 1 small clamp. I was suppose to have two of each so I contacted them about the missing smaller one. I doubt I'll hear back before monday but in the mean time I'll hit up a local auto parts and see if I could just get a smaller one so I can put the other tip on.

The sound: it is quiet....almost stock quiet. I've only revved it a few times but it is very quiet and zero rasp. I'll report back on the sound when I drive it around a bit more. It does have a nice deep growl at idle though. The welds are alright, not the greatest but they're ok.

I have few pics of the welds but didnt take many other pics. But if someone can host them for me I'll email them over.

Sponsored

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
Well I dont know how haha

Edit: apparently they're too big to upload.

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
Hey thanks Marvin! I have an exhaust clip on the Houston S550 EcoBoost page as well. Just start up and a few revs.

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
No price gouging is when you have a monopoly on goods that are not readily available either due to shortages or some other supply shock so you high up the prices abnormally higher than what they normally run or ran on the market or what would normally be considered a fair price. This is a free market and they can charge whatever they want for the parts, labor, development of their products. When you pay $800 for a cat back its usually better materials (304 stainless) mandrel bent, better welds etc. And you are paying a little overhead for name and quality of the product.

You buy a Dynomax cat back you get standard bends, aluminized steel, standard packed mufflers, and a 1 year warranty. You are paying about $350, as opposed to the above mentioned. Borla, Magnaflow, Corsa etc. tend to have higher quality better tech and thats what you pay for.

Try to by some RAM modules or good gaming video card right now for a decent price, now there is some gouging going on there =)
I certainly understand that it is a free market and these companies can sell for whatever the market will bare.

BUT, the Rev9 system is 304 stainless, based on the pictures the welds are excellent and I haven't seen a performance exhaust from anyone in 30 years that didn't have mandrel bends, even the corner muffler shops these days have mandrel bending machines. So the popular names are not providing anything unique to justify double or more the cost.

Dynomax is one of the oldest and most respected performance exhaust manufactuers. They always rank near the top of the heap in any comparison test. Yes, they do make systems from mild steel and the also make them from stainless. I have had a mild steel Dynomax header back system on my 68 Barracuda for 13 years and it will likely out live me. I paid less than $300 for it. The matetial cost difference in a complete system between mild steel and 304 is going to be less than $100.

Hopefully more outfits like Rev9 and CJPP with their house brand exhausts will will start selling systems for the S550 at reasonable prices, it will force the Magnaflows, Borlas and Corsas to lower their prices to a more reasonable price.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
The sound: it is quiet....almost stock quiet. I've only revved it a few times but it is very quiet and zero rasp. I'll report back on the sound when I drive it around a bit more. It does have a nice deep growl at idle though. The welds are alright, not the greatest but they're ok.

I have few pics of the welds but didnt take many other pics. But if someone can host them for me I'll email them over.
Looks like a solid bit of kit. Please give us more details on the sound if possible. I'm specifically interested in drone. From what I've read most of the systems that delete the resonator behind the downpipe suffer an excess of droning at highway cruise speed.

If this system is as quiet as you say without noticeable drone then it will be perfect for someone looking to reduce weight.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
"The welds are alright, not the greatest but they're ok."

:shrug: